Started by Tstewa Ikrantsyìp, July 31, 2014, 12:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

Kaltxì ma soaia
Ma tsmukan ma tsmuke

Oeru syaw Ney'ite
Oel ngati kameie

Hello, my family. Brothers and sisters
My name is Ney'ite (this roughly translates into Brave little Ikran)
I see you

I am a fairly new Na'vi, new to the family, the community. I enjoy learning about the language, the culture and the Na'vi way of life, with the help of this amazing community. Especially my friends, one of whom is called Jesse, and a teacher who has been so very patient and helpful; Tirean.
I am very eager to learn, about everything; despite it's challenges and rough spots.

through-out my learning, which I'm sure we have all experienced in one way or another, I have found it both exhausting and frustrating, when I have to search and search and search multiple different sights and hundreds of pdf files, sound files, documents etc for all the information that I need to continue learning.

due to my extensive searches and somewhat cough cough OCD, I have downloaded/collected almost 200 different items, which i found in about 15 different websites, (which doesn't sound like many things from many websites, but it's very exhausting, I'm sure some of the more experienced Ni'Na'vi can vouch this, the exhaustion of collecting lots of information)on different pages etc, you get the picture very exhasting.

grammar
punctuation
prefixes & suffixes
pronunciation
vocabulary
activites
homework
lists
pictures
sound files

I have multiple pieces of each of these, all of them different.
I have about (and it may not sound like much again but it is) 6GB of nothing but Na'vi information in the form of videos, pdf, document, pictures & sound files.
sooner rather than later, I found myself getting more and more frustrated - and I doubt it's just me, so feel free to leave a post - with how much there was to collect and in how many different places and such. (Kudos, to everyone though, there is so much to learn and it's just that much more exciting, seeing how much this community is involved and loves Na'vi, and everything about it, I've never seen such a sight)

But, with all this searching and finding and such, i started wondering why everything couldn't just be in the one place. I than had a thought "Why not bring it all together and put it in one place, for easy access to all who are interested"

so i decided than and there, to collect all i could and put it all together in one extremely large booklet, resulting in a mega-Na'vi booklet, with everything humanly possible to include, save for sound files, videos, movies, or songs etc.

Of-course this wouldn't be an easy, or a solitary project to endure, as I'm well-sure all you *Points meaningfully at multiple readers* know.

I have sent messages to both "Toruk Makto's" 'Toruk Makto' and 'Payoang'  about recieving their permission to begin this very hard pet project of mine. and hope to be receiving permission soon. (fingers crossed) 
Now here is where you *points meanfully at reader* ma tsmukan, ma tsmuke, ma karyu, ma 'eylan; come in useful, my wonderful family.

I'll explain what the project is, and than I'll continue with how everyone whos interested can help
(What this project entails, is gathering all possible Na'vi/English information, (Other languages will follow, but for now, just the english version) of all possible, things, and put it all together in one HUGE booklet. resembling an actual book.

- the introduction will entail, what the book will include and a list of all the peoples/Ni'Na'vi who helped to create this project (Project Tìomum) and all the websites, places, books and so on, that all helped with this project. there will also be a chapter index so people will know what chapters entail what subjects.
- Each of the chapters of the book, would have a different subject, and will talk about different things. I'm hoping to have between 10 and 15 chapters, and each chapter will have a minimum, of maybe 10 pages. maybe. again, this entire project is just in it's drafting process.
* grammar
* punctuation
* Alphabet (vowels, consonants etc) 
* prefixes & suffixes
* pronunciation
* vocabulary
* activites
* homework
* lists
* pictures
etc

- than at the end of the book, there'll be a book index if someone wants to find a certain thing in a certain chapter.
- at the end of the book will have a repeat of the list of peoples, websites, books and videos/movies/sound files, used and contributed to help create this project.

What you wonderful Ni'Na'vi can do, is send me links and files that i can download and collect and add, so hopefully nearing the end of this year, the late beginning of next year, I can begin putting it all together, and maybe the middle of next year, I can put it upload it to the Na'vi community for all who want it.
each person and each website i get little tid-bits from, will (again) of-course have their name in the booklet, acknowledging their part and effort in this massive project (if they give me permission to use their material).

to learn more or if you are interested, or anything else, please feel free to pm me and I'll happily talk to anyone interested.

irayo ma soaia
Ney'ite
Mega - Na'vi - Booklet - Project (One Book to Rule Them All)
Unofficial Na'vi survey
Na'vi - Sign - Language - Project

Na'vi - Language - Book - Project

Tìtstewan

Eltur tìtxen si. This would be a big work... As for grammar stuff, recently Tirea Aean and I started the "Na'vi Book Project" which plans to create new books with all available grammar rules, language structure, idioms etc. into one big file - plus a small version for beginners.
Currently, the big problem we have is that the most materials are outdated, have mistakes or are incomplete. Example, the LN Wikipedia haven't got any update since the last seven months. (the book project trying to update the wiki too)

As for the Audio stuff, I remember me that Tirea was going to do something about it (I'm not sure, probably it was something about audiofile for words of the dictionary?)

That homework idea sounds like that project NgayNume and the Neytiri Project, but I don't know what is the basic plan you have with it. (something like workbooks?)

Quote...when I have to search and search and search multiple different sights and hundreds of pdf files...
First, there are alot of different way of leaning that means, there are people who learn easier with tables, other with textes, so, one get alot of different files in different versions in different languages. Usually, one should use those file one think it's easy to use / useful for study.
Secondly, how current are the materials? Usually, older version should be removed by newer ones, but sometimes, people are finding and linking those older version to their websites, posts or any other places. The next thing is, how authorative are those files?

This was the reason, why I rewrote the "Links to useful learning materials", last year. It contains links to the learing resources I found and are supported, plus most of them are also on the official website of LN.org.

There will be alot of files rewritten before Avatar 2 is comming in the cinemas.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma Neyʼite,
    Oel ngati kameie, seykxel sì nitrm!!
    Titstewan's advice should be heeded! So much of the material out there is dated. The two websites you should look at are this site (and its various components, especially those here in the forums) and naviteri.org Anything else out there is questionable at best.
    Here, the best documents are the current version of the dictionary (13.080 as of this writing), and Horen-LeNaʼvi version 1.21. Naʼvi in a Nutshell ver 2.8 is still mostly useable. There is also the compilation, likely found in the links Tìtstewan gave you, of the collected Naʼviteri writings. There is also a Naʼvi frequency dictionary in the works, which may be useful to you. Tirea Aean reported to me at AvatarMeet that he is indeed re-recording the word sounds library. He is a perfectionist, and I am sure that it will be reference quality when he is done with it. Some folks also benefit from carefully studying the canon and corpus.
    Of course, jump in and participate here. Interacting with others in these forums seems to help me more than just about anything else (and I tend to be a 'high road' learner, who likes to learn grammar, syntax, etc. and work from there. It kind of sounds like that might be your learning style as well).
    There are also vocabulary apps for IOS and Android, and a Memrise course for learning vocabulary (which I intend to start using intensively once I am done fighting a legislative battle here :(  ).

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

definitely questionable at best for some websites. i already plan to have a miniature booklet like version in the back people can use, it will have activities and flash-cards.
while i agree the websites and the updates are the most important, it will alsowill be rendered moot if i do not achieve permissions to use said materials.
feel free to continue with the ideas though its already realy helped.
irayo ma 'eylan'

ney'ite
Unofficial Na'vi survey

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

All the materials here are free to use, improve upon, and share with the community.
Nothing here though, should be used for any commercial purpose.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

it never even passed my mind. this is my family.not a money making business.
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Tirea Aean

Shall this then be moved to /Projects ? (Or even /learning-resources ) :)

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 05, 2014, 11:42:07 PM
(Or even /learning-resources ) :)
I would move this to /learning resource.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Tirea Aean

moved.

So.. This project looks to me like the One Book to Rule Them All ;D

Interesting idea -- stitch together ALL THE THINGS into one file. Might have to keep updating it if Pawl's blog posts are going to be included.

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 06, 2014, 01:05:54 AM
So.. This project looks to me like the One Book to Rule Them All ;D
HRH!

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 06, 2014, 01:05:54 AM
Interesting idea -- stitch together ALL THE THINGS into one file. Might have to keep updating it if Pawl's blog posts are going to be included.
I think, it would be not only Pawls Na'viteri blog, also some other files too...

Tirea Aean

Well, yeah, obviously it will have other things. But the idea is, Pawl always makes more and more posts, so if his blog will be in this book, it will need to be updated often, to include newer and newer posts. Where if the blog is not included, it won't need to be updated as often.

Tìtstewan

Yeah, but the thing is, regarding Pawl's Blog I'm updating files (those PDF and DOC files).

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

I don't mind, having to update, honestly, it's for the community, it will help everyone who's interested.

tìtsewan, I'd personally feel honoured if you would be willing to work with me on this project, i'd like to use your constant updates, on pawl to place into this booklet, plus your posts, and all your files, will most likely play a large part in this booklet, etc "Links to useful learning materials", and I'd feel very lucky to have you be an equal partner in this project.

Tirea Aean, I'd also feel honoured if you would work with me on this project, you've been an amazing teacher, a friend, i highly regard you and you've earned my respect, plus, I'd love if we could spitball (aussie term for discuss or think about) all the websites i could use, as well.

Of-course, I want lots of people, apart from those two to pitch in as much as possible, such as `Eylan Ayfalulukanä, for such wonderful advice. It would mean so much, and it's such a large undertaking.

Again, Irayo ma soaia for all the help, thankyou so much. i feel so lucky to have so many in the community who are enjoying this project, i look forward to finally being able to upload it, in the (unfortunately) far future.

if anyone knows anyone who has websites, files, documents, pictures, everything and anything that they would be willing to donate to this project feel free to pm me, and i'd love to finally get everything up and going!!!!

GOOOOOOOOO NA'VI!!!! hrh  ;D

- ta Ney'ite
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Toruk Makto

Your project doesn't require permission from me or anyone else. However, I will re-emphasize what has been said already: Be very careful how you source your information. There is a lot of bad data out there (stuff on the internet tends to live forever). There is even outdated and incorrect info here, although the members of this community try to stay on top of that.

The other advice I would offer is that maintaining a compilation like you are proposing will not be a one shot deal. Na'vi is growing, so you will need constant vigilance and continuing dedication to keep your work relevant. We have seen failures to follow through before and once a work is outdated, it becomes toxic in the pantheon of learning materials. One past member even attempted to write a series of books to sell on Amazon, but stalled at volume one when he apparently didn't get the recognition he was seeking.

Best of luck on your endeavor and let the community here assist as needed.

-M.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

Thank-you Toruk Makto
I will heed your advice.

As for everyone else who is helping, a great big thank-you.
I've already collected even more materials than i ever thought existed.

I feel honoured that everyone is so supportive
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Tirea Aean

Cool :)

Though... English and all non-Na'vi languages are Forbidden in that Forum board.. :S The nìNa'vi nì'aw board is where people go to write/read posts using exclusively the Na'vi language. Maybe try to translate that post into Na'vi? :D

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 11, 2014, 11:53:55 PM
Cool :)

Though... English and all non-Na'vi languages are Forbidden in that Forum board.. :S The nìNa'vi nì'aw board is where people go to write/read posts using exclusively the Na'vi language. Maybe try to translate that post into Na'vi? :D
Well, I was about to translate that stuff as nìNa'vi nì'aw lu tsenge a lì'fya alahe a ke lu pummì leNa'vi, leiu kxanì nìwotx...

Quote from: Toruk Makto on August 10, 2014, 09:19:44 AM
The other advice I would offer is that maintaining a compilation like you are proposing will not be a one shot deal. Na'vi is growing, so you will need constant vigilance and continuing dedication to keep your work relevant. We have seen failures to follow through before and once a work is outdated, it becomes toxic in the pantheon of learning materials. One past member even attempted to write a series of books to sell on Amazon, but stalled at volume one when he apparently didn't get the recognition he was seeking.
This.

I was about to post in that other thread (which is the same post like that one in the nìNa'vi nì'aw today, btw), but I keep it here:
Just to mentioning some stuff,

Quote from: LBI on August 12, 2014, 02:00:55 AM
- Pawl's chapter
- Homework and activities
- Alphabet
- Slang and Na'vi terms
- Culture
- Conversations
- Syntax
- Video
- Audio
- Phonetics
- Numbers
- Mechanics ??
- Affixes
- Punctuation
- Grammar
- And vocabulary

Pawl's chapters: Na'viteri as PDF and DOC file - v2.0.0.2.1
I keep the files up to date by the source of Na'viteri - Pawl's blog

The red marked words:
Most of them are available as different files. The current one is wm.annis' Reference Grammar of Na'vi (Horen leNa'vi) (vesion 1.21) and the Na'vi in the Nutshell (version 2.8). There are also some little files like that Na'vi for beginners or Useful and short grammar sheets etc.

The points marked in red will be written completely new in the Na'vi Book Project for the future, also the current learning materials haven't been updated since over one year.
Blue Elf had the wish/suggestion to create also a new activity/work-book  > like that Dusty White's Activity Book < which will be also done in the Book project, too.

For your booklet project, you should wait until all the stuff are finished, otherwise you have to add old materials.

There is also a question: What's the exact plan to create that booklet? There are any concepts?
I'm still not sure what you want to create exactly? A booklet which contains all available learning resource like a "real book" that rules them all OR a booklet which contains links and short information to the learning material?

I am afraid, but there are probably some confusions...

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

my wish at first was to create an actual book
with each subject in the list you showed having its own chapter.
simply to bring all the information together
(yes, i agree, i will wait btw)

but after multiple conversations with other Na'vi i have decided to create a text book instead.

there will be a cover page, chapter index, an introduction, and a credits page at both the end and the start of tjhe book (which would include all the names of people who helped me, sent materals, gave suggestions, and the links to websites whos information i wish to use.

each chapter will have its own title page, (the entire book will be numbered.)
there will be pictures, the information on each page that, that chapter is entailing. And questions either for each page so that people may reflect on what they've learned or a series of questions at the back of each chapter. (like a little quiz)

i want to mold this book after a large very large school textbook. onnly, simpler, and in Na'vi
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

Kaltxì

Hopefully, if this works, I've placed a pdf document for people who are interested in this project to download.
It's got a vague idea of what I would like the title page of the 'Na'vi Text-book' to look like.

so have a look if you're interested, have a look and get back to me with your opinions.

- Ta Ney'ite
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Blue Elf

Seems that more projects is going to be started - I support them all and as my time permits, I'll be happy to add some pieces of work. But would not be better to select one project, assign some boundaries to met all demand from potential users and focus to this single project? Many project = many chances to not finish it. One project has bigger chance for success.

About workbook - I still think it is needed, so if some work on such book starts, I'll help as I can. Sources for inspiration are available.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)