Na'vi in a Nutshell

Started by NeotrekkerZ, February 17, 2010, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: Plumps on May 29, 2010, 05:12:04 PM
LN 3.8: »You can drop the -ä ending for colloquial/informal speech« => is this still correct? I am now under the impression that this is more a concise military register... ???
It is:

Quote from: Karyu PawlNgey 'upxareri irayo. (As you probably know, dropping the -ä on the genitive pronouns is colloquial and informal.)

// Lance R. Casey

Lance R. Casey

// Lance R. Casey

kewnya txamew'itan

The way I read it, Frommer was giving it as an example of the military register because atm we don't have any others really even though it is also a generic colloquial register thing as well.

I imagine that -y is similar to how -t and -r started, for all we know, -l might have originally been followed by a vowel.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

NeotrekkerZ

I admit to being a bit confused there also.  I do still believe it is used for colloquial speak, but my issue is with the military register terminology.  Does this mean that human military personnel speak Na'vi
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

kewnya txamew'itan

No, I think it's the register that the samsiyu speak whilst being lesamsiyu.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Pxia Säsngap

Kaltxì

I've posted something in the Intermediate forum that might be better to post in here(omängum fra'uti suggested to post it in here):

"Kaltxì ma smuk

Learning with the Nutshell Guide I've come across something that I believe to be wrong. Don't know if this is true. What do you think?

In chapter 8.1.3 and 8.1.4 the Nutshell Guide tells about fì'u and tsnì and gives some examples:
in 8.1.3 "Law lu oeru fwa ngal new ziva'u awngahu."
in 8.1.4 "Oe sìlpey tsnì nga 'ivì'awn awngahu."

But as awnga is another word for ayoeng(which, as you know, includes the person that is spoken to) these sentences sound strange to me, because they speak to another person that is not- or not yet- part of the group "we". So doesn't this have to be "ayoehu" in both the sentences?

So, what do you think?"
Eywa ayngahu
Ma oeyä eylan aynga oeru yawne lu <3 ;D :D ;D

NeotrekkerZ

I believe you're right, it will be changed in the next update.  I also dropped the -l on ngal in 8.1.3, as I believe that is a mistake as well.

Pxia Säsngap

So you change awnga into ayoe?(for my notes;left it out for now)

Why is that with the -l?/Why don't we need to take the ergative at nga?
Eywa ayngahu

Plumps

*wiya* never noticed that...

Quote from: Pxia Säsngap on June 03, 2010, 01:25:06 PM
Because the modal verbs don't need the ergative
nga new ziva'u - you want to come

Pxia Säsngap

Quote from: Plumps on June 03, 2010, 01:33:20 PM

Quote from: Pxia Säsngap on June 03, 2010, 01:25:06 PM
Because the modal verbs don't need the ergative
nga new ziva'u - you want to come

Of course. I forgot about that. =) Thank you for your answer.  :D
Eywa ayngahu

NeotrekkerZ

Yeah, I made it ayoehu.  It's amazing how many times you can look at a document and miss endings.  I have a newly found respect for language book writers.

Pxia Säsngap

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on June 03, 2010, 09:43:45 PM
Yeah, I made it ayoehu.  It's amazing how many times you can look at a document and miss endings.  I have a newly found respect for language book writers.

hrh. You only see what you want to see. =)
It's worst if you have written the text yourself.  ;D
Eywa ayngahu

omängum fra'uti

Any chance of having a parallel published edition that is more friendly to mobile devices, such as HTML?  Seze wants to include it in his app, but PDF isn't the friendliest format to display on a mobile device.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

NeotrekkerZ

I'm afraid I have no clue how to do it in HTML.  I sent Seze the original word document, but I guess he's having similar trouble converting it.

omängum fra'uti

Word should have an export to HTML option.  If not, I know openoffice does, as I tried it on the word document you sent Seze.  But more than just a document, I'd like some system in place to keep things up to date.

Muzer

Yes - that would be good. Just uploading the word version and keeping that up to date might allow us to be able to do it - I don't know what tools exist for word document converting, but there could well be a command-line word --> HTML thingy.

EDIT: Yes, this might do it - I've no idea to what sort of quality though:

QuotewvWare (previously known as mswordview) is a library that allows access to Microsoft Word files.  It can load and parse the Word 2000, Word 97, Word 95, and Word 6 file formats.  (Work is underway to support reading earlier formats as
well: Word 2 documents are converted to plain text.)

This package provides the following programs:

* wvWare: Converts to HTML and LaTeX.  It's used by a small army of helper scripts able to preview Word documents and convert them to various other formats, like PostScript, PDF, DVI, etc.

It would be a script running on a server that downloads and converts it daily.

What sort of word file is it? It's probably need to be word '03 or earlier... I don't think much can parse word '07 yet, even still (apart from OOo, but you can't exactly run that daily on a server).
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

NeotrekkerZ

I'm using Microsoft Word 2003 to write it up.  If this wvWare program can convert the word doc to LaTeX, then couldn't we set something up with Tuiq along the lines of what he's doing with Taronyu and his dictionary? 

Is Taronyu's dictionary mobile app friendly in LaTeX?

omängum fra'uti

I don't think there's much LaTeX-wise on mobile devices.  HTML would probably be the way to go.  I believe custom fonts are likely out as well, at least for Android, so no papyrus, but it'll still display, substituting one of the standard fonts for it.

Muzer

Well yeah - you would host the word document along with the PDF (doesn't matter where, we can, and I have before, write a link parser if it's somewhere like this forum) when you make updated versions, and the script on the server would grab it next midnight (or sooner if we can think of some way of letting the server know) and convert it to HTML with wvWare. The phone would then use this HTML.

Seze: Does the server you're planning on using run on a UNIX derivative - Linux, Mac, BSD, Solaris, etc.?
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive