Na'vi in a Nutshell

Started by NeotrekkerZ, February 17, 2010, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsante

Are you going to update the nutshell? Because I want print it...
Sorry but I speak english a litlle bit

Muzer

He usually updates it when there are enough changes (errors spotted or additions to grammar from Frommer) to make it worthwhile - it doesn't change all the time like Taronyuä dictionary does, but it does change sometimes, once every few months nowadays.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

NeotrekkerZ

Basically what Muzer said.  The next version probably won't be out until around mid July, unless we get a batch of new information.  
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

Payoang

A wild email appeared!

To Whom it may concern:

I am going through the Na'vi in a Nutshell .pdf file and it's magnificent.  I notice in one of the examples a possible mis-translation...

Please refer to 5.1.2, Compound Infixes...

"Po s<ary>op trray." is translated as "I will be traveling tomorrow."

I am just beginning on this tutorial, but I believe there is a discrepancy between the subject "Po" and it's translation "I".  I believe it should either read "Oe s<ary>op trray." (I will.be.traveling tomorrow.) or "Po s<ary>op trray." (He/she will.be.traveling tomorrow.)

If I am in error, please disregard this email and thank you for this resource.  If it has already been reported, I appreciate your time anyway.

Thank you and good day.

Sincerely,
[redacted]

okrìsti

dA | nga tsun oehu pivlltxe fa skype: c4duser
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu
txopu lu fya'o ne vawma pa'o – nawma karyu Yotxa

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: Payoang on June 10, 2010, 12:00:05 PM
A wild email appeared!

Were you walking in the long grass again?  ::)

Anyway, he's right, that is a mistake.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

NeotrekkerZ

The mistake is now corrected and will be included in the next update, thanks for pointing it out. 

On a more personal note:  Oe saryop mì "Mantana" ulte tayätxaw mì vomun trr.  No computers, so unfortunately no contact with the forum.  Ngaytxoa.

Plumps

Concerning pronunciation:
I was wondering, because this is something that I got my head around only these past few weeks, whether something should be said about the unaspirated nature of p, t, and k...

Going with the motto not to use too much linguistic babble one could explain it with less puff of air when holding your hand before your mouth? – just a suggestion ;)

'Oma Tirea

To compare and contrast different forms of {p}, {t}, or {k}, put your hand in front of your mouth, and feel carefully:

• Aspirated {ph}, {th}, {kh}: you should expect to feel a smooth, consistent stream of air.
  • Unaspirated {p}, {t}, {k}: you should expect to feel a puff of air that is brief.
  • Ejective {p'}, {t'}, {k'}: you should expect to feel an intense puff of air that goes away as quickly as it came.  It doesn't really feel like much.

So to compare an unaspirated consonant to an aspirated consonant, the unaspirated version is less breathy.  You are correct on that one, Plumps.

However, to compare an unaspirated consonant to an ejective consonant, the unaspirated version is more breathy.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Plumps

Thanks for that, ma lapo lesxkxawng...
I hadn't thought of the ejectives ... could be useful as well

In the end it's Neo's decision how (or if) he wants to include that

NeotrekkerZ

Version 2.2:  Created 2.2.1, 10.4, 10.4.1, LN 4.4, LN 8.3, LN 10.2, LN 10.3, fixed typos in 8.1.3 and 8.1.4.

I like the info about the pronunciation above, but I don't think it's necessary for NIAN.  Anyone that invested in the language will have downloaded/heard pronunciations and won't need the description (I think). 

okrìsti

Hi,
at LN 10.2 you missed the -a- on mrrmrra trr. ;)
dA | nga tsun oehu pivlltxe fa skype: c4duser
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu
txopu lu fya'o ne vawma pa'o – nawma karyu Yotxa

Muzer

For anyone who doesn't want to look through each section mentioned to see what it's all about, I've made a list of the bigger updates:

<MuzerNtbk> yeah, got all the octal updates, mainly, and gerunds
<MuzerNtbk> and rr/ll taking consonant endings
<MuzerNtbk> and about tsawa and tsata
<MuzerNtbk> that's all

[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

NeotrekkerZ

Thanks for the error spotting.  Since it hasn't been updated on the main page yet, I've gone ahead and resubmitted the correction.

Seze

Quote from: Muzer on June 06, 2010, 04:22:22 AM
Seze: Does the server you're planning on using run on a UNIX derivative - Linux, Mac, BSD, Solaris, etc.?

I am running CentOS 5.5

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

NeuraltNätverk

LN 4.3

"Regarding the inclusive pronoun forms: the ng that we tacked onto the exclusive forms comes from nga"

Wait what

Isn't it the inclusive forms that get this ending
"Uhh ... we should put it out something that it likes and then when it comes to get it we can kill it."
"Oh yeah heh heh ... cool ... um heh ... what do flies like?"
"Uhh ... they like garbage and crap."
"Oh yeah yeah heh heh ... flies are pretty cool sometimes, yeah eh heh heh."

Kä'eng

oe, moe, pxoe, and ayoe are the exclusive first person pronouns; ng is added to get oeng, pxoeng, and ayoeng, which are the inclusive first person pronouns. ng isn't something that's added to inclusive pronouns, because it's what makes a pronoun inclusive.
Ma evi, ke'u ke lu prrte' to fwa sim tuteot ayawne.
Slä txo tuteo fmi 'ivampi ngat ro seng, fu nìfya'o, a 'eykefu ngati vä', tsakem ke lu sìltsan.
Tsaw lu ngeyä tokx! Kawtu ke tsun nìmuiä 'ivampi ngat txo ngal ke new tsakemit.
Ha kempe si nga? Nì'awve, nga plltxe san kehe. Tsakrr, ngal tsatsengti hum!

NeuraltNätverk

Quote from: Kä'eng on July 06, 2010, 09:44:05 PM
oe, moe, pxoe, and ayoe are the exclusive first person pronouns; ng is added to get oeng, pxoeng, and ayoeng, which are the inclusive first person pronouns. ng isn't something that's added to inclusive pronouns, because it's what makes a pronoun inclusive.

Right. I got it now. It was semantics. Thanks.
"Uhh ... we should put it out something that it likes and then when it comes to get it we can kill it."

Taronyu

Error:

Trram oe t<ol>aron. Na oe t<arm>aron, oel ts<ol>e'a palulukanit. Oe txopu s<ol>i ha oe t<ol>ul neto. Tengkrr oe t<arm>ul, oel ts<ol>e'a futa Neytiri tsw<arm>ayon ulte oe poru sy<ol>aw. Po k<ol>kä ulte 'awsiteng moe t<ol>ätxaw ne Kelutral.

Yesterday I hunted. As I was hunting, I saw a thanator. I was afraid, so I ran away. While I was running, I saw Neytiri flying and I called to her. She descended and together we returned to Hometree.

Na here is used incorrectly. It's translation is like, or as, not as a conjunction for a temporal clause. use tengkrr or krr a.

I also don't think that «ol» and «am» are exclusive as you seem to imply in the document. Perhaps state the opposite?

NeuraltNätverk

I'm glad my noobery was useful.