Na'vi in a Nutshell

Started by NeotrekkerZ, February 17, 2010, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeotrekkerZ

Version 2.5:  Created LN 3.2, LN 5.10, LN 6.5, LN 7.4, 9.14, 9.15; Massive overhaul throughout document.

Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

Kamean

Irayo nìtxan! :)

But I found a little error on page 22. There is:

Ontu sì kinam
Nose and knee

Slä knee nìNa'vi slu kinamtil. ;)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

NeotrekkerZ

Excellent spot!  Will be fixed in future version.

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Seze

I think your Table of Contents page numbers are off.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

omängum fra'uti

I think 5.4 needs some clarifying.  Someone misinterpreted it to mean that kä must always get the subjunctive, not that the verb after a modal must.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Seze

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on October 28, 2010, 04:22:08 AM
I think 5.4 needs some clarifying.  Someone misinterpreted it to mean that kä must always get the subjunctive, not that the verb after a modal must.

Sran, 5.3 probably needs some updating as well.  You show all modal verbs as having the <iv> infix but don't actually say that the <iv> infix is required.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

NeotrekkerZ

Irayo for the heads up, will be updated in 2.6.

Plumps

I'm going through it again (slowly) because I'm aiming at a whole new German translation... I noticed (v2.5):

LN#1.1: »... ll and rr can only come at the end of a syllable beginning with a single consonant
  => not true anymore (second paragraph), otherwise lefkrr (le.fkrr) would not be possible

3.3 Possession:
   - stress on palulukan is wrong => palulukan
   - I am a bit hesitant about »Harm's way« as an example, because, tì'efumì oeyä, it's highly idiomatic (I used aylì'uä pam 'the words' sound' in recent German versions)
   - the exceptional genitive of omatikaya => I searched high and low ... where is that from?

That's all so far ;)

Zeykoyu Aean

Kaltxì ma Plumps:

Doesn't Taronyu have the syllable break betweek the f and k in the lefkrr entry?

Zeykoyu Aean

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Zeykoyu Aean on November 08, 2010, 07:07:08 PM
Kaltxì ma Plumps:

Doesn't Taronyu have the syllable break betweek the f and k in the lefkrr entry?

Zeykoyu Aean

Sran but that violates another Na'vi phonotactical rule, the one where f, v, h, s, z or c cannot come at the end of a syllable.

Good example to prove my point about the pseudovowels, though.  Irayo, ma Plumps :)

Other examples with the <asy> ans <ìsy> infixes: pasylltxe {pa.sjl̩.tʼɛ} and fìsyrrfen {fɪ.sjr̩.fɛn}.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Plumps on November 08, 2010, 12:07:39 PM
3.3 Possession:
It's actually got two stresses. palulukan
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Plumps

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on November 09, 2010, 12:24:37 AM
Quote from: Plumps on November 08, 2010, 12:07:39 PM
3.3 Possession:
It's actually got two stresses. palulukan
It does? Oh wow, forgot about that, thanks for pointing that out.

NeotrekkerZ

Thanks guys, will be in the next update.

NeotrekkerZ

Quotethe exceptional genitive of omatikaya => I searched high and low ... where is that from?

It's from a note/email/message that K. Pawl sent to one of the members.  I can't seem to remember where it is and can't find it either, but I'm sure it exists.

Ikran Ahiyìk

Someone find a mistake..

http://forum.learnnavi.org/prefixes-infixes-and-suffixes/topical-case-in-the-rr-and-ll-ending

Quote from: Language Note #4.5The vowels aw, ay, ew, and ey, can take either the vowel or consonant ending. However, if using the vowel ending, both letters must be used, e.g. the patientive could be either -it or -ti, but never just -t. The vowels ll and rr take the consonant endings. And if you insist on using the topical, these vowels only take -ri.

For topical in consonant ending, add -ìri not -ri..

The other one, -ti is "long form" for ALL patientive, not only for vowel endings. It is not same as the difference of -r and -ru.. either -it or -t can be changed to -ti.

Dative suffixes are like this:

V-end       C-end

-r
   or           -ur
  -ru

Patientive suffixes however are like this:

V-end            C-end

long form      -ti                 -ti

short form     -t                 -it

"Never just -t" is correct here, but the reason is not - since diphthongs take consonant endings ONLY.
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

NeotrekkerZ

Thanks for the update.  I've tweaked LN 4.5 to reflect this and hopefully make it a little clearer.  Will be included in the next update.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Carborundum on November 30, 2010, 12:43:27 PM
Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on November 29, 2010, 10:36:31 PM
According to NiaN, they're both right, just so long as you don't use ay+ with something that's not prefixed with ay+.
The thing is, as far as I can find, NiaN is the original source of this information. Not to bash on NeotrekkerZ, but they don't really have the authority to create rules like that.
Until Frommer says otherwise, it is safer to assume that moe lu karyu is about as grammatical as "we are teacher" would be in English.

This reminds me: you might need to double-check and remove anything in the document that is ambiguous.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Ataeghane

Doesn't "moe lu karyu" come from Karyu Pawl?

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

NeotrekkerZ

QuoteThis reminds me: you might need to double-check and remove anything in the document that is ambiguous.

I guarantee I've looked at NiaN more than any other person on the planet.  What I have there I believe to be clear, otherwise I would change it.  That's why I encourage people to respond here about any concerns, as what is clear to me might not necessarily be clear to you.  The community's responses help me update and fine tune the document. 

QuoteNot to bash on NeotrekkerZ, but they don't really have the authority to create rules like that.
QuoteDoesn't "moe lu karyu" come from Karyu Pawl?

I'm not sure who "they" are, but that quote is either from K. Pawl or a direct substitution of nouns/pronouns using his grammar rule.  I have never created a grammar rule; my intention is to provide the most complete AND official guide to Na'vi grammar as is possible.  If there is ever a consensus that deems something I wrote in the guide to be false (it has happened due to misinterpretations on my part in the past) I change the guide, plain and simple.