Na'vi in a Nutshell

Started by NeotrekkerZ, February 17, 2010, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeotrekkerZ

New update.  Fixed what I hope is the last typo (ayzekwä atusäftxu), added a little info to plurals, commands; updated list of adpositions; included a (completely optional) section regarding tense and aspect.  Did my best here to make it understandable, but it still is technical.  If you've wanted to know the difference between <ol> and <am> though, now's the chance.  I created it from info gleaned here on this site and google searches, so I'm pretty sure it's accurate.  However, if anyone who knows it beyond a doubt spots anything amiss, please let me know.

This will probably be the last update for a while.  Barring any egregious errors I don't really see a need to update until after Frommer responds to the vocabulary expansion project.  As always, if you have any questions/concerns regarding the guide please post here.
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

Rangtsulfätu

Either I've found an other mistake or I'm a major skxawng. (well, I already know I am ;) )

1st inclusive trial, you say is pxoeng, but Karyu Amaway's pocket guide says it's poeng.
Poeng does seem to make more sense to me since pxoeng would translate to either 3 me's and you (= 4 people) or 3 me and you's (= 6 people) and poeng could just as easily be a contraction of po, oe and nga and thus translate to he/she, me and you.

But like I said, I'm a skxawng so I could be wrong.
Oe skxawng lu!

Suteo plltxe san po tsun pivlltxe nìNa'vi ulte peyä ta'leng ean lu sìk. Ayoel omum nì'aw futa por syaw fko stìkx.

NeotrekkerZ

Ok, I've checked my version of karyu's pocket guide and he has poeng with a question mark.  To be honest, I don't think we have any attested examples with this form, but I also checked Kaltxì Palululkan's "Learn Na'vi the Easy Way" and he has it listed as pxoeng also.  Since the prefix pxe+ is used for three of everything I see no reason for it to be poeng, so barring an official example that contradicts it, I think I'll keep it pxoeng.

omängum fra'uti

The pxoeng form is straight from Frommer, poeng is a mistake.

(Pxoeng can be thought of as "three of me&you" the same way moe can be thought of as "two of me")
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

NeotrekkerZ

For some reason, whenever I see pxoeng I think to myself "We three kings be stealing the gold."

Rangtsulfätu

Irayo, ma Omängum Fra'uti. If you say it like that it does sound logical to me. Besides, I can't disagree with Karyu Pawl.

Ma NeotrekkerZ, where did you get the kings and the gold from? :P
Oe skxawng lu!

Suteo plltxe san po tsun pivlltxe nìNa'vi ulte peyä ta'leng ean lu sìk. Ayoel omum nì'aw futa por syaw fko stìkx.

NeotrekkerZ

It's from the movie "Three Kings."  I just use it to remember how pxoeng is used (the three of us, we three).

Ftiafpi

This is great! This will be a great learning reference. I totally recommend that this be added to the front page of the site and to the useful links for beginners.

NeotrekkerZ

Thanks for the praise, ma Ftiafpi.  I don't know who ultimately decides that, but if he/she needs anything from me, just ask.

omängum fra'uti

OMG I totally swear I responded saying that I totally second Ftiafpi there.  I've been sending people to this thread directly recently rather than to the ln.org main website.

NeotrekkerZ

Irayo!  That's definitely high praise coming from a perfectionist like you. :)

NeotrekkerZ

New update (that's what I get for jinxing myself):

Corrected an egregious error in the optional section, added a minor tidbit to plurals section(2.1), added new infix <awn> (5.1.3), added ordinal numbers section(9.3).

Ftiafpi

So, I'm gonna take the initiative here and add this to the Recommended Documents for Beginners sticky.

Moved this topic to the projects forum, recommend adding to projects database, recommend this replace the pocket guide (or at least supplement it) until the pocket guide can catch up.

'eylan na'viyä

if im not completely wrong there is an error in 1.2.

the r in the table should be replaced by t

NeotrekkerZ

Nope, the r is correct.  Remember how Neytiri tells Jake how to pronounce nari?

'eylan na'viyä

thats the row from the table:
r : tt in little, bt in subtle, dd in cuddle

english is not my mothertongue - maybe i got something wrong with the examples.

for me r sounds like rr, just shorter, in the movie(german) and Pawls message. a very short rolled r (only one touch), might sound similar to the examples. But i think if youre able to do a rr its easier to explain r as a short version of it(i live in a region of bavaria where at least some of the people know how to do the rr, so i, although it is almost never used). actually both have the same ipa-symbol in the wiki.

NeotrekkerZ

Quotefor me r sounds like rr, just shorter, in the movie(german) and Pawls message. a very short rolled r (only one touch), might sound similar to the examples.

I can see given this why you may be having issues.  The single r in Na'vi is pronounced like a flap which is "only one touch" but with one touch there's not enough time to start getting the grr sound that you get by heavily rolling the r (rr sound).

'eylan na'viyä

for me the transition is fluent (i hope i translated it correctly|D: der übergang ist fließend).
i think when speaking naturally "r" might either be flaped or rolled a very few times depending on the word/speaker/speed/stress...
at least for my ears,it sounds like pawl does it that way in his message. Maybe the ipa symbol is used more like a guidance than a complete determination.

NeotrekkerZ

New Update.  I gave the Na'vi cases their own chapter, as I do not like tacking them onto pronouns.
Added info in pronouns, pronunciation, negative commands, questions, sentences, maybe numbers (can't remember if I included the ordinals in the last update) and epilogue.

omängum fra'uti

Language note 5.1 is missing case endings.  It should be Oel kelkut tok