Na'vi in a Nutshell

Started by NeotrekkerZ, February 17, 2010, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Oma Tirea

Seems I'm lacking some clarification here...

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on December 04, 2010, 04:04:08 PM
QuoteThis reminds me: you might need to double-check and remove anything in the document that is ambiguous.

I guarantee I've looked at NiaN more than any other person on the planet.  What I have there I believe to be clear, otherwise I would change it.  That's why I encourage people to respond here about any concerns, as what is clear to me might not necessarily be clear to you.  The community's responses help me update and fine tune the document. 

Here are the ambiguities I'm referring to:

Quote from: NiaN LN 1.1ll and rr can only come at the end of a syllable beginning with a
single consonant....and something like trrm or tspll could not be words.
Quote from: NiaN Section 2.1Moe lu meharyu We are teachers OR
Moe lu karyu We are teachers BUT NOT
Moe lu (ay)haryu

Rutxe catch me out if I have been misunderstanding what you said teri NiaN Section 2.1, ma Carborundum.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Carborundum

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on December 04, 2010, 04:04:08 PM
QuoteNot to bash on NeotrekkerZ, but they don't really have the authority to create rules like that.
QuoteDoesn't "moe lu karyu" come from Karyu Pawl?
I'm not sure who "they" are, but that quote is either from K. Pawl or a direct substitution of nouns/pronouns using his grammar rule.  I have never created a grammar rule; my intention is to provide the most complete AND official guide to Na'vi grammar as is possible.  If there is ever a consensus that deems something I wrote in the guide to be false (it has happened due to misinterpretations on my part in the past) I change the guide, plain and simple.
"They" is a disputed singular neutral third person pronoun which I personally prefer over "s/he". In other words, "they" refers to you.

I can't find a reference for this information:
Quote from: NiaN Section 2.1Moe lu meharyu We are teachers OR
Moe lu (ay)haryu
That doesn't mean there isn't one, of course. I'd be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

NeotrekkerZ

QuoteQuote from: NiaN LN 1.1
ll and rr can only come at the end of a syllable beginning with a

OK, I'm not sure which version you have, but your analysis is right.  I believe I updated LN1.1 to reflect this in version 2.5.  If not it will be updated in version 2.6 which will be released before xmas.

QuoteI can't find a reference for this information:
Quote from: NiaN Section 2.1
Moe lu meharyu We are teachers OR
Moe lu (ay)haryu

This is extremely odd.  I swear I recall seeing this (I even think I copy pasted it because it was such a clear example), but now I too cannot seem to find it.  I'm going to keep looking, but it's crunch time for me right now with my classes, so please give me some time.  Regardless, when I find (or don't find) the answer, I will inform you here.
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on December 08, 2010, 07:22:42 PM
QuoteQuote from: NiaN LN 1.1
ll and rr can only come at the end of a syllable beginning with a

OK, I'm not sure which version you have, but your analysis is right.  I believe I updated LN1.1 to reflect this in version 2.5.  If not it will be updated in version 2.6 which will be released before xmas.

Oddly enough, it didn't get updated in version 2.5 :P

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

eejmensenikbenhet

Kaltxì!
I'm busy translating "Na'vi in a Nutshell" to Dutch. But I didn't quite understand this part:
Moe lu meharyuWe are teachers OR
Moe lu karyuWe are teachers BUT NOT
Moe lu (ay)haryu

Why is Moe lu karyu correct?
Hmm now I see this had been asked a lot of times, does anyone have foun the anwer yet?

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: eejmensenikbenhet on December 16, 2010, 09:04:35 AM
Kaltxì!
I'm busy translating "Na'vi in a Nutshell" to Dutch. But I didn't quite understand this part:
Moe lu (ay)haryu

Hmm now I see this had been asked a lot of times, does anyone have foun the anwer yet?

Yeah, we've already had a little discussion about that in the beginner forum, but I think no one is really sure what the true explanation is! I'm also wondering :o

eejmensenikbenhet

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on December 16, 2010, 09:14:37 AM
Quote from: eejmensenikbenhet on December 16, 2010, 09:04:35 AM
Kaltxì!
Moe lu (ay)haryu

Yeah, we've already had a little discussion about that in the beginner forum, but I think no one is really sure what the true explanation is! I'm also wondering :o
I think I'll leave it that way, and just translate it anyway.
When it gets updated I'll change it.

Plumps

I have to admit, I left out *moe lu karyu in the German version, because I couldn't find evidence for it to be correct. Don't know how thoroughly you'll translate but there will be instances now and again where you just have to take a step back or sideways for it to work in your target language. I listed all the changes I've made at the end of the translated document.

eejmensenikbenhet

Quote from: Plumps on December 16, 2010, 10:25:31 AM
I have to admit, I left out *moe lu karyu in the German version, because I couldn't find evidence for it to be correct. Don't know how thoroughly you'll translate but there will be instances now and again where you just have to take a step back or sideways for it to work in your target language. I listed all the changes I've made at the end of the translated document.
Well that's smart, you gave me an idea ;)

I was thinking: why not change the example?

We (the two of us, but not you) are warriors.
Moe lu mesamsiyu.We are warriors.OR
Moe lu samsiyu.We are warriors.BUT NOT
Moe lu aysamsiyu.

With aysamsiyu you'll change the quantity of "we". And with samsiyu you just drop the prefix because there is lenition.

Carborundum

Quote from: eejmensenikbenhet on December 16, 2010, 10:38:10 AM
Quote from: Plumps on December 16, 2010, 10:25:31 AM
Well that's smart, you gave me an idea ;)

Moe lu aysamsiyu.

With aysamsiyu you'll change the quantity of "we". And with samsiyu you just drop the prefix because there is lenition.
That's not correct. Me+ and pxe+ never drop. Samsiyu = aysamsiyu.

Plumps

Quote from: eejmensenikbenhet on December 16, 2010, 10:38:10 AM

Moe lu aysamsiyu.

That doesn't change the problem of moe (being two) vs. (ay)samsiyu/(ay)haryu (being more than 3) ;) which is what I think is not right with that sentence... But I could be wrong.

Ataeghane

Guys, I'm pretty sure moe lu karyu is totally correct. It's not in English, it's not in Garman, not in Polish and in many languages it's not as well, BUT we cannot look on it through patterns of our native languages. Let's try to find a similar situation in Na'vi instead.

Where can me meet omitting plural from in Na'vi? Quite often. Look at this: 'a'awa tute, pxaya tute, hola tute, kinäa tute, vola tute, mrra tute... etc.

Every time we tell the number of things we DON'T use plural form. (Sometimes we can: pxaya sute, but that's rather exception). Why would we have to inform about the number of karyus while it is quite clear in Moe lu karyu?

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Ftiafpi

I think we need a ruling from Frommer. Anyone object if I shoot him off a quick email?

eejmensenikbenhet

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 16, 2010, 11:54:56 AM
Guys, I'm pretty sure moe lu karyu is totally correct. It's not in English, it's not in Garman, not in Polish and in many languages it's not as well, BUT we cannot look on it through patterns of our native languages. Let's try to find a similar situation in Na'vi instead.

Where can me meet omitting plural from in Na'vi? Quite often. Look at this: 'a'awa tute, pxaya tute, hola tute, kinäa tute, vola tute, mrra tute... etc.

Every time we tell the number of things we DON'T use plural form. (Sometimes we can: pxaya sute, but that's rather exception). Why would we have to inform about the number of karyus while it is quite clear in Moe lu karyu?
You've got a point right there.
I think that's exactly how it works.

Ftiafpi, please do! ;)

Ataeghane

Kea tìkin, ma eejmensenikbenhet.

QuoteI think we need a ruling from Frommer. Anyone object if I shoot him off a quick email?
No one would, but I thought it comes from Frommer.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 16, 2010, 12:37:22 PM

QuoteI think we need a ruling from Frommer. Anyone object if I shoot him off a quick email?

Well, I checked the wiki and I couldn't find any example from him on plurals and I don't believe William had found one either so I don't think we have an actual ruling from Karyu Pawl.

Anyway, sent off a quick email (quoted below):

QuoteMa Karyu Pawl,

We've noticed that we can't seem to find a rule on proper usage of the duel and trial forms with regard to nouns. Could you clarify this for us? More specifically, we're wondering if one can drop the nouns' prefix and, if so, what then happens to the noun?

I guess the most simplest way to ask this is how many of these forms are correct?

Moe lu meharyu
Moe lu haryu
Moe lu karyu
Moe lu ayharyu (for obvious reasons I assume this one wouldn't be correct)

And then, to make sure we have everything straight, can you clarify the other two plural forms:

Pxoe lu pxeharyu
Pxoe lu haryu
Pxoe lu karyu
Pxoe lu ayharyu

Ayoe lu ayharyu
Ayoe lu haryu
Ayoe lu karyu

Hopefully this is a quick question.

~Ta Ftiafpi

Carborundum

Quote from: Ftiafpi on December 16, 2010, 12:42:44 PM
Anyway, sent off a quick email
Excellent. Hopefully this will be straightened out soon.

NeotrekkerZ

Version 2.6:  Created 7.5, 9.16.  Updated LN 4.5, added var to modal verb section, fixed some typos.

I wanted to get this version released today, but since we do not have confirmation either way on section 2.1.1, and as I have been unable to find the original post where I got the info from, I've decided to remove it for the time being.  Should we get confirmation from Frommer either way, I will of course amend the document.
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

Ataeghane

Quote from: Ftiafpi on December 16, 2010, 12:42:44 PM
Quote from: Ataeghane on December 16, 2010, 12:37:22 PM

Well, I checked the wiki and I couldn't find any example from him on plurals and I don't believe William had found one either so I don't think we have an actual ruling from Karyu Pawl.

Anyway, sent off a quick email (quoted below):

QuoteMa Karyu Pawl,

We've noticed that we can't seem to find a rule on proper usage of the duel and trial forms with regard to nouns. Could you clarify this for us? More specifically, we're wondering if one can drop the nouns' prefix and, if so, what then happens to the noun?

I guess the most simplest way to ask this is how many of these forms are correct?

Moe lu meharyu
Moe lu haryu
Moe lu karyu
Moe lu ayharyu (for obvious reasons I assume this one wouldn't be correct)

And then, to make sure we have everything straight, can you clarify the other two plural forms:

Pxoe lu pxeharyu
Pxoe lu haryu
Pxoe lu karyu
Pxoe lu ayharyu

Ayoe lu ayharyu
Ayoe lu haryu
Ayoe lu karyu

Hopefully this is a quick question.

~Ta Ftiafpi
Is there any answer?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: NiaN 2.6

8.2 Streamlining Sentences
When two adjacent clauses have the same subject, you can drop the subject from the second
clause:
Zene nga k<iv>ä tseng-it a tsa-ne (nga) new k<iv>ä.
must you go where to it want go.
You've gotta go where you wanna go.

The same deletion rule applies to direct objects, when it can be understood from context:
I saw something [that] I want. Oe-l ts<ol>e'a 'uo-t a (oe tsat) new.

The rules are correct but the examples are not grammatical to my understanding.

AFAIK, kä is not transitive and thus cannot have tseng as a direct object.
also, is tsane a word?

in parentheses I would have put (oel tsat).