Na'vi in a Nutshell

Started by NeotrekkerZ, February 17, 2010, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 21, 2010, 11:23:59 PM
AFAIK, kä is not transitive and thus cannot have tseng as a direct object.

Sran, and neither is "zene", so

also, is tsane a word?

Reduced from Tsaw-ne.  Remember what happens to the w when enclictic adpositions are tacked onto tsaw....

Still, though, the whole sentence would be better written without any case markings as Zene nga k<iv>ä tseng-ne a tsa-ne (nga) new k<iv>ä.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

guest2859

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on December 22, 2010, 12:20:33 AM

also, is tsane a word?

Reduced from Tsaw-ne.  Remember what happens to the w when enclictic adpositions are tacked onto tsaw....

Still, though, the whole sentence would be better written without any case markings as Zene nga k<iv>ä tseng-ne a tsa-ne (nga) new k<iv>ä.

And thus my hopes of understanding the majority of this language have been fried.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on December 22, 2010, 12:20:33 AM

also, is tsane a word?

thats what i thought...

Quote from: Eana Nantang 'Rrtayä on December 22, 2010, 12:27:20 AM

And thus my hopes of understanding the majority of this language have been fried.

why?

guest2859

I do one thing, feel accomplished, and stumble upon a more complicated subject.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eana Nantang 'Rrtayä on December 22, 2010, 12:35:59 AM
I do one thing, feel accomplished, and stumble upon a more complicated subject.

yeah. I would be terrified of the day where that DOESNT happen. that means the language has died since there is no more to learn. D:

those things just make sense. its REALLY not complicated. the concept is really kinda simple. it just SEEMS complicated because of complicated terminology...

NeotrekkerZ

QuoteStill, though, the whole sentence would be better written without any case markings as Zene nga k<iv>ä tseng-ne a tsa-ne (nga) new k<iv>ä.

Not only would it be better written, it would be correctly written, thanks for pointing out this error!

In accordance with LN7.3, I have decided that the sentence will now be

Zene nga k<iv>ä tseng a tsa-ne (nga) new k<iv>ä.

This way you can see how the ne- adposition is used in both circumstances.  This fix will be in v2.7, but since that update won't probably be for a little while, I wanted to post it here now.
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on December 23, 2010, 01:02:35 AM
QuoteStill, though, the whole sentence would be better written without any case markings as Zene nga k<iv>ä tseng-ne a tsa-ne (nga) new k<iv>ä.

Not only would it be better written, it would be correctly written, thanks for pointing out this error!

This way you can see how the ne- adposition is used in both circumstances.  This fix will be in v2.7, but since that update won't probably be for a little while, I wanted to post it here now.

i only see one -ne- in that sentence. but two in the quote.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 23, 2010, 01:06:03 AM

Sran, my main objective was to move the "-ne" onto "tseng" and eliminate the "tsa-ne" (hence the strikeout).

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Plumps

Okay, I finally managed to update the German version and I noticed a few things:

Hope these comments help ;)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Plumps on December 23, 2010, 08:03:02 PM

In addition, I have drafted up some of my own revision comments (a few may be somewhat invalid, but I did check):

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on December 23, 2010, 09:15:41 PM

In addition, I have drafted up some of my own revision comments (a few may be somewhat invalid, but I did check):

made a few DESC notes within the quote.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 23, 2010, 09:56:42 PM
Appendix A

Xri nga-ru lrrtok | Good luck with X

http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/Canon/2010/March-June#Good_Luck.21[/url] --TA]Better written as "X-ri/ìri ngaru etrìpa syayvi"
In any case the topical could at least be fixed from Xri to X-ri/ìri.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Plumps

"Oe y<aly>om sre nga pähem trray."
→ Should be "Oe-l y<aly>om sre futa nga pähem trray." because "yom" is transitive.
With all due respect, that is the weirdest construction I've ever seen... We can use transitive verbs without a direct object. So, the mere statement 'I ate' and the complement 'you came' are connected with the conjunction 'before' ... If we'd say 'I ate when he came' we wouldn't use *oel yarmom krr futa po zama'u ... right?

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on December 23, 2010, 09:15:41 PM5.2

They must have gone to the river.  Fo-l ke tok fìtseng-it. Fo-l k<ol><ats>ä ne kilvan.

I don't necessarily think so. It's a perfect example that languages work in context.

Toruk Makto

I received the German translation of NiaN v2.6 from Plumps and have put it on the main site docs directory and linked it to the download page .

\o/

It's at http://www.learnnavi.org/docs/NaviKurzundBuendig_v2.6.pdf

ta Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Plumps

Thank you so much, ma Markì!

I don't know which programme Neo uses but my file always comes out way too big ;)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Plumps on December 24, 2010, 04:33:24 AM

"Oe y<aly>om sre nga pähem trray."
→ Should be "Oe-l y<aly>om sre futa nga pähem trray." because "yom" is transitive.
With all due respect, that is the weirdest construction I've ever seen... We can use transitive verbs without a direct object. So, the mere statement 'I ate' and the complement 'you came' are connected with the conjunction 'before' ... If we'd say 'I ate when he came' we wouldn't use *oel yarmom krr futa po zama'u ... right?

The focus here was to convey the meaning of <aly>, although your point is taken teri verb transitivity.  Maybe then use srekrr instead of sre, because the contextual usage seems weird otherwise.... unless something paralelling ngasre was intended.

Quote from: Plumps on December 24, 2010, 04:33:24 AM
Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on December 23, 2010, 09:15:41 PM5.2

They must have gone to the river.  Fo-l ke tok fìtseng-it. Fo-l k<ol><ats>ä ne kilvan.

I don't necessarily think so. It's a perfect example that languages work in context.

Maybe, but the indirect translation may confuse those beginners trying to learn from the sentences in NiaN.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

NeotrekkerZ

Wow, many things to double check now.  I'll address as much as I've gotten to below:

Quote from: Plumps on December 23, 2010, 08:03:02 PM
Okay, I finally managed to update the German version and I noticed a few things:

Hope these comments help ;)

I know there are more comments, and I'll address them when I get to them.  Thanks for the revisions!

Ma Plumps, for the pdf, I type up the document in ms word then use primopdf to convert it in the print menu.

NeotrekkerZ

Exactly right, you don't have to use it when the destination is after the verb.  That's the other circumstance.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on December 27, 2010, 01:39:58 AM

Exactly right, you don't have to use it when the destination is after the verb.  That's the other circumstance.

oh YES. i DO remember that now. thanks for reminding me. --noted.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

New Na'vi activity fun book (see that thread) is about to get under way. THAT MEANS I NEED HELP. Please respond or PM me. I want to see if anyone (outside the core clique) is still serious about learning Na'vi.

I need a few volunteers to help organize words and phrases.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)