Na'vi in a Nutshell

Started by NeotrekkerZ, February 17, 2010, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance R. Casey

There was some discussion on sno by itself from here onwards, but at this point it's still at the educated guess level.

// Lance R. Casey

eejmensenikbenhet

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on January 10, 2011, 11:52:47 PM
I deleted the original LN 1.1 as it was cumbersome and not completely valid.  In regards to the pronoun stuff, It'll be tweaked in v2.7.
Ok, when are you going to upload that 2.7?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on January 11, 2011, 06:17:13 AM
There was some discussion on sno by itself from here onwards, but at this point it's still at the educated guess level.

nice find. I was looking for that. I thought we didn't know precisely what sno is yet. thanks for confirmation.

NeotrekkerZ

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on January 11, 2011, 06:17:13 AM

Irayo, ma Lance.  I'll amend what I have to reflect that info.  I plan on releasing v2.7 this weekend, barring any major update that we learn.
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

zineketaye

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ
I plan on releasing v2.7 this weekend, barring any major update that we learn.

Request:
I would like you to do a revision of Section 2.2 of NiaN.
Object: a) Typo (i -> ì)  b) Productivity

I think, this matter should have been discussed here earlier, but was too lazy to look all through the whole thread. If so, and you have already rejected this proposal: Oeru txoa livu!

Explanation (lengthy, so it's spoilered)

I also may give a suggestion ...

Kìyevame ta zineketaye
Projektprozente:
1 (aU): 5,0; 2: 0,0; 3: 26,3 (31,0; 26,3; 32,4)

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: zineketaye on January 12, 2011, 11:15:29 PM

Request:

I think, this matter should have been discussed here earlier, but was too lazy to look all through the whole thread. If so, and you have already rejected this proposal: Oeru txoa livu!

Kìyevame ta zineketaye

Interesting points. :) I'm also curious about that now, since I'm myself creating non existing tì- words! Would the same problem apply with -yu and -tu (performing an action from a verb or a noun), tì- + <us> ("ing" form of a verb) and si (paired with a noun to create a verb)?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 13, 2011, 06:44:54 AM
Quote from: zineketaye on January 12, 2011, 11:15:29 PM

Request:

Kìyevame ta zineketaye

Interesting points. :) I'm also curious about that now, since I'm myself creating non existing tì- words! Would the same problem apply with -yu and -tu (performing an action from a verb or a noun), tì- + <us> ("ing" form of a verb) and si (paired with a noun to create a verb)?

I do believe that the dictionary is quite concise when it comes to productivity of the derivationals. nowadays, i believe it just says it IS or IS NOT productive.

tìsusi is crazy... most of the time you can just use the noun without the si. it WAS said that tì-<us> is good on ALL verbs to create a gerund of it. si is strange. For now, IMO* I would say if your meaning is clear from just using the noun without si, then do so. if it is not the meaning you are goin for and you really need a gerund, use the tìsusi.

si verbs are interesting to use us and awn with.

lì'fya apamrel-sawni.

I'm not sure if NiaN already says this or not. it probably already does.

Ataeghane

Wasn't it said that tìsusi is illegal?

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ataeghane on January 13, 2011, 12:25:59 PM

coulda swore it wasnt as of October 2nd 2010. but to be sure...

!summon wm.annis

wm.annis

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 13, 2011, 04:50:09 PM

!summon wm.annis

It is in fact illegal: Refinements of si-construction verbs.  Just use the noun.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: wm.annis on January 13, 2011, 06:39:25 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 13, 2011, 04:50:09 PM

!summon wm.annis

It is in fact illegal: Refinements of si-construction verbs.  Just use the noun.

hey it worked! ;D

/random

yeah, that makes sense. tìsusi doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me anyway after some thought.

zineketaye

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 13, 2011, 07:36:20 AM
Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 13, 2011, 06:44:54 AM

I do believe that the dictionary is quite concise when it comes to productivity of the derivationals. nowadays, i believe it just says it IS or IS NOT productive.

But I think the dicitionary is both: too concise (i.e. shortened) and not concise (on the point) enough.

• In the "concise" dictionary - as you access it from the homepage of learnnavi.org, the appendices are left out, including any information on this topic (productivity of the derivationals).
  • The complete dictionary nowadays has, as you said, just two divisions: productivity given YES / NO. Following KP in the source already cited, there is another degree (YES, under certain circumstances ...)

So, with the easily accessible "concise dictionary" being of no help, the other basic source NiaN should be (more) precise on it (than before). Just my thought ...
Projektprozente:
1 (aU): 5,0; 2: 0,0; 3: 26,3 (31,0; 26,3; 32,4)

NeotrekkerZ

The new version is now up.  I tried to address all the concerns from pages 15 onward in this thread, but if I missed anything let me know.  I also created LN 3.11. 

Nì'awtua Eyktan

Language Note #2.4 on page 4 still makes a reference to the old Language Note #1.1. The new LN #1.1 is about something else and it had me all confused until I found my old guide (Version 2.0).

Just wanted to thank you for this guide, it's really awesome. /hat off

NeotrekkerZ

Thanks for the info, it will be fixed in the next version.

eejmensenikbenhet

Almost done translating... You keep me busy upgrading it every time :P
Now I had to correct the thing from 2.6 into 2.7 so when I'm quick I can finish before you upload 2.8...

nuby1

MIPP

A few doubts/mistakes:

3.3 Possession
Palulukan has two stressed syllabes, I think it is wrong;

4.3 The Suffixes -ri and -ìri
I think it should be explained.

8.1.3 The Many Faces of fì'u
Maybe there could exist a better explanation. Maybe you could use the explanation here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/syntax-grammar/futa-or-fwa-tsni/.

8.1.4 Tsnì, The Other "That"
Actually, I don't think it is because they are intransitive. Intransitive verbs take "fwa". They are just two exceptions...

Na'vi for beginners | Dict-Na'vi.com

Hufwe lìng io pay, nìfnu slä nìlaw.
Loveless, Act IV.

NeotrekkerZ

Quote3.3 Possession
Palulukan has two stressed syllabes, I think it is wrong;

Nope, I was corrected myself on it a few months ago and it is in the dictionary with the two stressed syllables.

Quote4.3 The Suffixes -ri and -ìri
I think it should be explained.

The original intent was to make this a guide to help people learn the main points about Na'vi.  The topical was at the time something that was not well understood and likely to cause confusion, hence why we chose to mention it, but not talk about it too much:  we wanted learners to focus on the agentive, patientive, etc.  While we have more special phrases and forms that use it now, I still do not see a reason to include it.  When the day comes when we know everything about it I will amend the section.

As for 8.1.3 and 8.1.4, I will have to get back to you.  The next two weeks are going to be some of the busiest of my life.  I'll take a look afterwards and probably release a new version with some new info and changes to these sections if needed.

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

Section 2.1

pizayu is wrong, the first syllable is only pi-
as well for (ay)fizayu