Na'vi in a Nutshell

Started by NeotrekkerZ, February 17, 2010, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeotrekkerZ

Ah yes, forgot to update it for the transitivity of tok, irayo.  Will be fixed in the next update.

Slightly off topic, but if we have that tok is now transitive because you "being" somewhere changes its nature, does that mean that slu is transitive, because you are changing your own nature?

Oe slu karyu or Oel slu karyut?
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

omängum fra'uti

Not sure what you mean about changing its nature...  Tok is transitive because Frommer says so, and it's definition has always been to "Be at", which does sort of imply it needs an object of where you're at.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

NeotrekkerZ

Quote from: A CollectionTok is actually a transitive verb (!): to be in a place is to occupy that place and thereby change its nature.

But you're right, the at is the important part of tok.

Kawnga Tawtute

why is at page 7 writte "Oeng-al yìm po-t" ??

NeotrekkerZ

Look at language note 4.3 (three below the example)

NeotrekkerZ

New Update.  Added <ats>, all the compound infixes (5.1.2) and all the compound iv infixes (5.4.1).  Added info to possession, fixed a couple typos.

A note of caution:  please take the contents of section 5.4.1 with a grain of salt until I get feedback from the tense superstars omängum fra'uti or wm.annis.  I think it's right, but I've been wrong before.

Kä'eng

In Language Note #1.1, you said:
Quotesomething like trrm or pxll could not be words.
Actually, pxll is phonologically legal, because px is a single consonant. There is a similar word in the dictionary (kxll, meaning "charge, running attack")

Also, I don't think it's good to refer to the second-position infixes as "moods". (Frommer called them "speaker attitude".) The word "mood" is used in linguistics to mean something else - only <ats> is a mood in the linguistic sense, I think - so this could cause confusion.
Ma evi, ke'u ke lu prrte' to fwa sim tuteot ayawne.
Slä txo tuteo fmi 'ivampi ngat ro seng, fu nìfya'o, a 'eykefu ngati vä', tsakem ke lu sìltsan.
Tsaw lu ngeyä tokx! Kawtu ke tsun nìmuiä 'ivampi ngat txo ngal ke new tsakemit.
Ha kempe si nga? Nì'awve, nga plltxe san kehe. Tsakrr, ngal tsatsengti hum!

NeotrekkerZ

QuoteActually, pxll is phonologically legal, because px is a single consonant. There is a similar word in the dictionary (kxll, meaning "charge, running attack")

Good catch!  Will be fixed in next update.

QuoteAlso, I don't think it's good to refer to the second-position infixes as "moods". (Frommer called them "speaker attitude".) The word "mood" is used in linguistics to mean something else - only <ats> is a mood in the linguistic sense, I think - so this could cause confusion.

Your right that mood as a linguistics term means something else, but my intention in writing the guide was for it to be for the linguistic neophyte.  I think if you were to ask people on the street to categorize "happy" or "unhappy" as either moods or attitudes, most would say moods.  So I think I'll keep that terminology for the time being at least.

Ftiafpi

Noticed a pronunciation note error:

QuotePronunciation Note:  Although it is two separate syllables, oe is pronounced as "we" in
wept, went, or wed:  the vowels are spoken together.  This is also true when it has an ending
(oeyä, oel, oeti, oeru).

"Oe" by itself has both syllables pronounced clearly from what I've heard from Frommer. I've just sent an email to Frommer asking him if he could clarify but it seems that when you have "oe" without an affix it's pronunciation changes.

Yeya Swizaw

"Everybody loves me... except people who don't"
  "Oe yawne lu frapor... oe ke lu suteru mungwrr"

Eana Tanhì

this is so much help... i learn really fast now  ;D

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

NeotrekkerZ

Quote from: Ftiafpi on March 22, 2010, 10:29:48 AM

QuotePronunciation Note:  Although it is two separate syllables, oe is pronounced as "we" in
wept, went, or wed:  the vowels are spoken together.  This is also true when it has an ending
(oeyä, oel, oeti, oeru).

"Oe" by itself has both syllables pronounced clearly from what I've heard from Frommer. I've just sent an email to Frommer asking him if he could clarify but it seems that when you have "oe" without an affix it's pronunciation changes.

You know, I thought so too.  I changed it when I saw the pronunciation in Taronyu's dictionary, but now in his latest version it's back to oh eh.  I'll change it back.

Please let me know definitively if Frommer responds.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on March 22, 2010, 12:52:46 PM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on March 22, 2010, 10:29:48 AM

(oeyä, oel, oeti, oeru).

You know, I thought so too.  I changed it when I saw the pronunciation in Taronyu's dictionary, but now in his latest version it's back to oh eh.  I'll change it back.

Please let me know definitively if Frommer responds.

Ask and thou shalt receive I guess: http://forum.learnnavi.org/language-updates/a-long-answer-to-a-quick-question/msg154292/#msg154292

That was a 2 hour turn around, go Frommer!

NeotrekkerZ

New Update.  Updated LN1.1, pronunciation note in 4.2, 5.1.1, 7.2, 9.8, epilogue.  Added 6.2.1, 9.10.  Fixed a few typos.

I think from now on I will regularly update NiaN once a week on Fridays sometime before midnight PST, provided there is new material. 

As always, questions/concerns are welcome.

Oh, I just saw that my guide is now on the main page.  Very cool!

To the moderators/admins who do the updates on the main page, if it would be easier for me to send you a copy of each new version directly, please let me know.

Toruk Makto

Actually, that would be fantastic. Please send updates to [email protected]

Irayo!

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Ftiaronsem

Irayo ma NeotrekkerZ

This is really really great! Thank your for this guide!

NeotrekkerZ

No new updates this week.   :'(

Prrwll Nari

I think this is the right place to put this...

I was reading the NIAN for the first time from the downloads page thing, and noticed a typo on page 4.

"visual art reltseo → reltseotu artist (one who makes visual art)
part hapxì → hapxìtu member (one
There is one instance of -tu attaching to a verb: spe'etu captive, but at this point it's more of
an exception, not a rule."

As you can see, it just cuts off in mid-sentence in the part marked in red.

Kä'eng

Where did hapxìtu come from, anyway? It's not in the dictionary.
Ma evi, ke'u ke lu prrte' to fwa sim tuteot ayawne.
Slä txo tuteo fmi 'ivampi ngat ro seng, fu nìfya'o, a 'eykefu ngati vä', tsakem ke lu sìltsan.
Tsaw lu ngeyä tokx! Kawtu ke tsun nìmuiä 'ivampi ngat txo ngal ke new tsakemit.
Ha kempe si nga? Nì'awve, nga plltxe san kehe. Tsakrr, ngal tsatsengti hum!

NeotrekkerZ

Yeah, I caught that missing sentence on my last go through.  It will be fixed in the next update.

I also noticed hapxìtu wasn't in the dictionary.  It's in one of the language updates, but for the life of me I can't find it right now.  I've informed Taronyu about it.