Les Miserables

Started by Stranger Come Knocking, December 04, 2013, 11:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger Come Knocking

Bit of a Les Mis nerd.  Since the whole thing is done in song, I thought I might try my hand. :)

Starting with my three favorite songs.  Okay, two.  Master of the House has too many missing words.  Everything is done from the 2012 movie.

Look Down (The Convicts)

Do You Hear the People Sing?
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Clarke

I bet you can't do Stars. ;)  :P
(I'm suspecting that the religious references will be really hard to translate. The Bible translation project ran into similar problems.)

BTW, in the Work Song, Javert's line is, "No! Follow to the letter your itinary; this badge of shame you'll show until you die."

Apart from that, it looks great. Have a Les Mis/Avatar joke:

Plumps

First off, ma SCK, applause for this attempt! :D :D :D
You've done a great job. At first I thought you wanted to translate the novel ;D :P and I thought, Good luck with that! ;D

You have very good circumlocutions for our known problems with missing words but we can stretch some a bit further ;) There are a few errors that I corrected and commented on below! I hope I can look over the second one soon.

Fa leioae atxukx frato ;)

Quote from: Stranger Come Knocking on December 04, 2013, 11:35:04 AM
Look Down (The Convicts)

Convict 1
Look down, look down
Don't look 'em in the eye

Convicts
Look down, look down,
You're here until you die

Convict 2
No God above
And Hell alone below

Convicts
Look down, look down,
There's twenty years to go

Convict 3
I've done no wrong!
Sweet Jesus hear my prayer!

Convicts
Look down, look down,
Sweet Jesus doesn't care

Convict 4
I know she'll wait,
I know that she'll be true!

Convicts
Look down, look down,
They've all forgotten you

Convict 5
When I get free
Ya won't see me
Here for dust!

Convicts
Look down, look down
You'll always be a slave
Look down, look down,
You're standing in your grave

Javert
Retrieve the flag

Now prisoner 24601
Your time is up
And your parole's begun
You know what that means

Valjean
Yes, it means I'm free

Javert
NO!
For long to the left
Of your itinerary,
This badge of shame
You'll show it until you die.
It warns you're a dangerous man.

Valjean
I stole a loaf of bread!

My sister's child was close to death
And we were starving!

Javert
And you will starve again
Unless you learn the meaning of the law.

Valjean
I know the meaning of these 19 years
A slave of the law

Javert
Five years for what you did
The rest because you tried to run
Yes 24601

Valjean
My name is Jean Valjean

Javert
And I am Javert
Do not forget my name
Do not forget me

Convicts
Look down, look down
You will always be a slave
Look down, look down
You're standing in your grave.

(Convict 1)
Nìn nekll, nìn nekll
rä'ä nìn feyä aynarit – unless for great emphasis, rä'ä always precedes the verb. There's also a reasoning for using the topical on 'their' because of inalienable possession. Nìn is transitive

(Convicts)
Nìn nekll, nìn nekll
Ngal tok fìtsengit vaykrr (nga) terkup tok is transitive, I think the second nga can be left out because the subject of the sentence doesn't change

(Convict 2)
Kea Yawey (ta'em) awngaio
Ulte nì'aw (Hell) awngaäo – an adposition can't stand by itself, it has to be connected to some form of (pro)noun.

(Convicts)
Nìn nekll, nìn nekll
Lu mevola ayzìsìt tì'i'avay – numbers count as adjectives, so you have to connect them to the noun via -a-

(Convict 3)
Oe tìkxey ke soli
Rutxe ma Yeysu, (stivawm) tìng mikyun oeyä (prayer) aylì'ur (atxanwawe) – when you adress a person directly, you need to add ma. stawm is –control which means, Jesus just hears it; I think what you are looking for is the meaning of 'listen to my words' – so either tìng mikyun or yune

(Convicts)
Nìn nekll, nìn nekll
Ngeyä Yeysu ke vewng – for emphasis you could use, ngeyä Yeysur ke'u 'it's nothing to him'

(Convict 4)
Oel omum futa po payey
Oel omum futa pol tayok tsatsengit – again, tok is transitive, so is omum, so the structure of 'I know that' is literally 'I know this thing that'. If you want to keep it shorter you could use law oer fwa 'I'm sure that'. 'She'll be true' is probably something like 'I can trust her', so po mal layu oer

(Convicts)
Nìn nekll, nìn nekll
Fol tswola' ngat

(Convict 5)
Krr a oe (lu) ke yawnìm – ‹awn› makes an adjective but can't stand alone. You're approach is good! There are various ways. You could use oet ke yeykolìm nulkrr '(when) I'm no longer bound' or oet leykalyonu '(when) I've been released'
Ngal ke tsaye'a oet
Fìtseng vaykrr kxitx

(Convicts)
Nìn nekll, nìn nekll
Nga layu frakrr (a slave) spe'etu ??
Nìn nekll, nìn nekll
Nga kerllkxerem (nemfa) ngeyä (grave) tsuktsurokxa tseng asyen 'final resting place' – a bit of a euphemism but could work; the infix position for kllkxem is in kxem ;) nemfa is 'into'

Zaver
Zamunge (flag) – there is a non-Frommarian word for 'streamer' *u'imi that you could use. It would at least be understood, I think.

Set (prisoner) ma spe'etu alu mune-tsìng-pukap-kew-'aw
Ngeyä krr lu hasey
Ulte ngeyä (parole) sngolä'i
Ngal omum (a tsakem) tsaralit

Valzon
Po ral lu fwa oe (lu) ke yawnìm – see above

Zaver
Kehe
?
?
?
Ngal wayìntxu pot tsat vaykrr (nga) terkup
Pol (warns) vll futa nga lu lehrrapa tute – 'batch' is not a living thing, so tsa'u instead of po ;) There was a proposal for 'warn' on the LEP a while back as (I believe) *rawk(e) si but it hasn't surfaced yet; so 'indicate' instead of 'warn', I think that's close enough :)

Valzon
Oel 'amaku (a loaf of bread) – I'm not sure that you can use 'aku that way. I'd go for, oel malmunge 'itit tsyosyuä nì'aw or tsyosyutsyìpit

Oeyä tsmukeyä 'eveng lamu (asim) lok kxitx – from the 'time is almost up' as txew lok
Pxoe 'armefu ohakx – you could leave out the tense altogether and just leave ‹er›

Zaver
Ulte nga 'ayefu ohakx nìmun
Vaykrr korenä ralìri nga nume (law) – nume is not transitive! 'unless' is a tricky one. It could work with vaykrr but the meaning is not always synonymous

Valzon
Oel omum fayzìsìtä ralit – I'd go for ral fayzìsìtä amevopey smon oer
(A slave of the law) spe'etu tsakorenä

Zaver
Mrra ayzìsìt fpi fwa nga kem sami
Nì'ul (alunta) taluna nga fmami tivul
Srane, ma (holpxay alu) mune-tsìng-pukap-kew-'aw

Valzon
Oe lu Zon Valzon.

Zaver
Ulte oe lu Zaver
rä'ä Tswa' oeyä tstxot
rä'ä Tswa' oet.
ma Mune-tsìng-pukap-kew-'aw

(Convicts)
Nìn nekll, nìn nekll
Nga layu frakrr (a slave) spe'etu
Nìn nekll, nìn nekll
Nga kerllkxerem (nemfa) ngeyä (grave)

Plumps

Don't know if this even helps you :-[ ... here's the second bit

Quote from: Stranger Come Knocking on December 04, 2013, 11:35:04 AM
Do You Hear the People Sing?

Enjolras:
Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the song of angry men?
It is the music of the people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

Combeferre:
Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?

Courfeyrac:
Then join in the fight
That will give you the right to be free!

All:
Do you hear the people sing?
When tomorrow comes!

Feuilly:
Will you give all you can give
So that our banner may advance
Some will fall and some will live
Will you stand up and take your chance?
The blood of the martyrs
Will water the meadows of France!

All:
Do you hear the people sing!
When tomorrow comes!

Inzolrasì
Ngal stawm futa sute rol srak? – I'm afraid it's a bit wordier in Na'vi, we have to say 'do you hear that the people sing'
Rerol tìrolit letìsti suteyä – technically, we don't know if rol is transitive or not.
Po lu pamtseo suteyä – this can actually stand as-is. Again, po is for living things, since they talk about a song it would be tsa'u
A ke layu (slaves) spe'etu nìmun!
Krr a 'ekong ngeyä txe'lanä
Ngam si 'ekongur ayauätechnically 'to echo' is not attested but you'll be understood ;) but remember the weird behaviour of direct objects with si-verbs (i.e. -ru ending)
Lu tìrey alaksi fwa  sngä'i – or just lu tìrey sngìyä'i, near future infix ‹ìy› will take care of the meaning of 'about to'
krr a trray za'u

Kompefer
? Srake nga 'awstengyäpayem ne tìwusem ayoeyä? – not sure myself if this works ...
Tupe layu seykxel ulte kayllkxayem hu oe? – see above; question is whether 'strong' is meant here physically or mentally :-\ interesting interpretation :D
? nuä ekxan
Lu kifkey a ngal ('anla) new tsive'a srak? – if you insist on 'anla I'd use srake lu kifkey a tsari sä'anla lu ngar 'is there a world that you have a yearning for'. Since 'anla doesn't allow the modal structure it's a bit complicated otherwise

Korfeyrasì
Tsakrr ziva'u ne tìwusem
A tayìng tìmwiät ngaru lu ke yawnìm (see above) – don't know if one can use tìmwiä that way. I'd say skxom

Frapo
Ngal stawm futa sute rol srak?
Rerol tìrolit letìsti suteyä
Po lu pamtseo suteyä
Ngam si 'ekongur ayauä
Lu tìrey alaksi fwa sngä'i
krr a trray za'u

Fuley
Ngal tayìng fra'ut a nga tsun tivìng srak? – another possibility would be ftxey ngal tayìng fra'ut a tsun fuke? Not sure whether the second nga and tìng are really necessary.
? fte *u'imi awngeyä tsivun kxll sivi
Suteo rayey ulte suteo tayerkup – not sure about the meaning; does it mean 'some people' (an undefinable mass) or 'several people' (i.e. 'a'aw)? It's a matter of style, of course, but the second suteo could be replaced with pum
srake Nga kayllkxäpeykayem ulte (take a chance) fmithe construct of 'stand up' is lit. 'bring yourself to stand' kllkx‹äp›‹eyk›em
Reypayìl (martyrs)
? tayìng payti atxkxer lezeswa Franseyä lit: 'will give water to the grassy land of France'

Frapo
Ngal stawm futa sute rol srak?
Rerol tìrolit letìsti suteyä
Po lu pamtseo suteyä
Ngam si 'ekongur ayauä
Lu tìrey alaksi fwa sngä'i
krr a trray za'u

Clarke

Quotenumbers count as adjectives, so you have to connect them to the noun via -a-
Regardless of the normal grammatical rules, that particular number is being used as a noun. Throughout the whole story, "24601" is effectively used as a name, rather than any description of 24 thousand six hundred and one things.

Plumps

Quote from: Clarke on December 05, 2013, 06:12:01 AM
Quotenumbers count as adjectives, so you have to connect them to the noun via -a-
Regardless of the normal grammatical rules, that particular number is being used as a noun. Throughout the whole story, "24601" is effectively used as a name, rather than any description of 24 thousand six hundred and one things.

You will notice, though, that I didn't correct it in that instance ;) because I knew that ;)
I don't know how Na'vi handles these things (treating words from other wordclasses as nouns). From our current knowledge of the language, to call somebody ma mune-tsìng-pukap-kew-'aw ... just seems weird. That's all I'm saying :) That's why I put holpxay alu in between – it's the same as if Javert would say 'No. 24601'.
But—as with everything—it's just a suggestion. People may come up with other solutions :)

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: Clarke on December 04, 2013, 01:11:38 PM

BTW, in the Work Song, Javert's line is, "No! Follow to the letter your itinary; this badge of shame you'll show until you die."

That's what I thought, but I just copy & pasted anyway. *shrug* Besides, how do you translate "follow to the letter" if Na'vi has no written language, never mind "itinerary".

Look Down (The Convicts): Revised

Do You Hear the People Sing?: Revised

I'm sure I missed some things.  It has been a long time since I've been here.  It's also 11pm and I'm also trying to work on a paper for an early morning class. ><
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Plumps

Sorry for getting back to this so late ;)

Yes, for the most part the paranthesis mean delete, I'm sorry that I'm not more consistant with my annotations ;)

I was just trying to find circumlocutions for words we don't have yet, thus: I see 'slave' can easily be spe'etu – from what I remember from the film, they were prisoners/captives. 'Prayer' can be described by '(emotionally) important/meaningful words'

:-X 'batch' :-[ Of course I meant 'badge'! :-[

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: Plumps on December 10, 2013, 05:44:17 AM
Sorry for getting back to this so late ;)
No problem at all.  I wasn't even home for two days and hadn't slept or eaten for 36+ hours. *sob*

Yes, for the most part the paranthesis mean delete, I'm sorry that I'm not more consistant with my annotations ;)

I was just trying to find circumlocutions for words we don't have yet, thus: I see 'slave' can easily be spe'etu – from what I remember from the film, they were prisoners/captives. 'Prayer' can be described by '(emotionally) important/meaningful words'
Okay. *goes fwoosh over still-exhausted brain.  I'll figure this out logically later.

:-X 'batch' :-[ Of course I meant 'badge'! :-[[/size][/font]
:P
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall