Na'vi language lesson podcast

Started by omängum fra'uti, May 09, 2010, 02:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na'rìngioang

Fantastic podcasts, I'll be subscribing to these.

However, my biggest beef is that you maybe talk a little too fast. Nothing is given time to sink in, and you sound rushed, like someone is timing you. I realize that file size and length of lesson are some things to consider. But when introducing words or new ideas, I think you might want to purposefully slow yourself down just a little, and maybe give the listener a chance to repeat new words along with you, or to just say words more slowly.

For instance: I'm know how lenition works, but in your second lesson, you just BLASTED through it, to the point that I'd have had to listen to that podcast two or three times to really understand what you were saying about it. It's important to emphasize new ideas and make them stand out, but in places everything you said, to me, sounded like a run-on sentence.

Another example could be how you introduce words: you say them twice very quickly, give perhaps one example of it for the subject you're trying to teach, and then all of a sudden we're dealing with a new word, with no time for the first to sink in. The most blatant example being when you're talking about eyes.

You explain that "nari" means eyes. Then very quickly give a sentence that talks about "menari" or two eyes.

And then we're very quickly talking about "swizaw" or arrows.

I honestly think the better way to handle this example would have been to talk about arrows throughout, because you can use a singular form, a dual form, a trial form, and a plural form, and it could still make sense. Yes, it makes sense to have two eyes, but having three? it's foreign to us. If you use a single example for just a bit longer, the word gets to sink in deeper, and we remember it better.

That being said, the content in there was fantastic, and even if I would have had to listen to that all again if I didn't know that stuff already, it's well worth the download.

Just... slow down a tad. Just a tad.

Syaron

Shara

omängum fra'uti

Thanks for the feedback!  I think I am perhaps rushing the lessons a little bit much at the moment, trying to get through the basics.  I'll try to slow down a bit in the future.

However after the pronunciation lesson (Which will be up as soon as I add background music), I'm going to try a suggestion from Tirea Aean, and start with a story in Na'vi, then review the story and see what there is to learn from it.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Syaron

Karma! Karma! I wish I knew how to put it in the right place. You are my hero. I hear your voice in my dreams of Pandora!
Shara

Plumps

Ma 'eylan omängum,

fayfnetskxekeng lu tsranten nìtxan ulte oeru prrte' lu fwa ngal tsat tolìng mì syokx ngeyä. nìTxan sìltsan! Syokxit 'awstengyem ko!

The story sounds interesting. Also, what I remember from one broadcasting of a few Irish lessons was something they called »Phrase of the week challenge« (it was a weekly programme, so you don't have to follow that if you decide on that :P ) – the idea was to give a short phrase, a word or an expression that the listeners/learners were asked to use as often as they could during that week in order to strengthen the vocabulary and get a feel for the language (it was intended for comprehension/spoken abilities as well). I thought this was a great idea. One could start with the most simple thing like kìyevame or ngaru lu fpom srak? and go on with every coming lesson.

Nìmun, tìkangkem apxa!

Rain

I'm just gona leave this comment here so I can keep up with this thread...
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Ftiafpi

That's what's the notify button is for (though I'm not sure if it works properly).

Ean Hufwetulyu

Great work this is very helpful
thank you
Eywa ngahu
Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.

Sumi66

Ah, fantastic, I just downloaded the podcasts, time to start learning my phonetics.
I'll review them later, once I've heard them. ^^
Sometimes, I wish Life was Communist, so I could have a slight amount of the talent others seem to possess.

Eanikran

Ma omängum fra'uti, best pronounciation I've heard :)  Spoken Na'vi really sounds awesome when the pronounciations are right   ;D
your podcast lessons are incredibly helpful with that. I'll subscribe when I can get back on my computer. Also I'll be linking my friend to them if you don't mind, I'm just now getting him into learning and your lessons will be very helpful to noobs and vets alike  ;D

Sumi66

I listened to them several times through, it really is fantastic. It's helping much more than text, I seem to fall for the IPA trap, and have bad pronounciation reading from text. Much more helpful learning this way.
May I ask, how much are you going to cover in these lessons? Will it be the entire language, everything needed to speak on ones own, or just few things that you deem important (or more important)?
Sometimes, I wish Life was Communist, so I could have a slight amount of the talent others seem to possess.

Tsufätu Ayioangä

Meeps!  I love it!  Irayo ma tsmukan!

Kxamtxon Tsamsiyu

Kaltxì!! I have to say I love your podcasts, they are very helpful indeed. Can't wait to hear more  :)

"First it was just orders, then everything changed.." ~Jake Sully
Neytiri & Jake

SezeSreu

this really really help in learning Na'Vi  :)
Eywa ngahu

Puvomun

Wou, txantsan! I subbed to your RSS feed, and will learn better Na'vi in the car tomorrow, thanks to your work!!
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Since today I understand lenition...
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Rain

I am downloading this as I type. Sorry about my lateness.
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Mithcoriel

Great stuff. I agree, needs to be a tad slower.

Another suggestion I have would be that when you say Na'vi sentences and then translate them (even in the greeting), say the english first and then the Na'vi. That way it's easier for us to try to follow the Na'vi sentence and understand everything. Or say it in Na'vi then english then Na'vi again.
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

NinatZranin

Kaltxì, aysmuk  :D
This podcast is SO helpful (I have a huge problem with the pronounciation  :) )
and I couldn't find a really useful post anywhere  :o
irayo  ;D

NinatZranin
Far, far above the clouds, silent as the wind, a falcon flies alone, silent as the sky. I hear his lonely cry, never can he rest.

by Aoi Teshima

Tirea Aean

Quote from: NinatZranin on January 03, 2011, 02:13:35 PM
Kaltxì, aysmuk  :D
This podcast is SO helpful (I have a huge problem with the pronounciation  :) )
and I couldn't find a really useful post anywhere  :o
irayo  ;D

NinatZranin

too bad it has been MONTHS since the last episode... OF has been a busy guy...