Seed of Language (vocabulary training software)

Started by Hufwe Atxur, September 03, 2010, 07:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hufwe Atxur

I used this afternoon to build the SoL-Updater. This program is a console application and allows you to download new versions of Seed of Language without needing to uninstall the old version. All necessary files are downloaded from my website and then the program replaces the old files with the new ones.

SoL-Updater automatically selects the files with the Java Version that is appropriate to your system (Windows/Linux = Java 6 - Macintosh = Java 5). Please remember that this is a console application without a GUI. You'll need to start a terminal, then move to the directory you saved the program to (SoL-Updater must be within the /bin-directory) and type java -jar SoL-Updater.jar. This works on Windows, Linux and Macintosh, but if you are using Windows, you have the option to start the update.bat.

What you could do to check if this also works under your computer is to run the program and check if there's a file named KELUTRAL in the /bin-directory. Please tell it me (so I know that my os-check-function works well).
Since this was built with Java 5, you can use it with any Java-version higher or equal to 5.

http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/downloads
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Puvomun

Tewti ma tsmukan, txantsan!

paul@Kelutral:~/Seed of Language/bin$ java -jar SoL-Updater.jar
Downloading instructions.upd .. Please wait!
Instuctions were downloaded .. continuing

Downloading KELUTRAL .. Please wait!

Download complete! Now moving the files..

Moving ./KELUTRAL

paul@Kelutral:~/Seed of Language/bin$ ls -l
total 628
-rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul   3705 2010-10-12 20:01 CHANGELOG.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul     53 2010-11-14 21:53 KELUTRAL
drwxr-xr-x 2 paul paul   4096 2010-11-13 12:24 lang
drwxr-xr-x 2 paul paul   4096 2010-11-13 12:24 lib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 paul paul    138 2010-10-29 21:17 runSeed
-rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul     44 2010-10-04 17:51 run.sh
-rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul 182272 2010-10-24 18:36 Seed of Language.exe
-rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul 412735 2010-11-12 19:08 Seed_of_Language.jar
drwxr-xr-x 2 paul paul   4096 2010-11-13 12:24 settings
-rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul   7014 2010-11-14 19:29 SoL-Updater.jar
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

I was able to test the SoL-Updater on a Macintosh and it works there too. You can also start the program by doube-clicking on the JAR-file, but since the error-reportings appear only when you start it via the console, I recommend the old-fashioned way.

Also I've built a small update for Seed of Language, so far it only contains some performance-updates and a bigger font-size in the lesson-window. I've reverted to the systems default-design since it looks better this way on Win/*nix and Mac. You can update to this version only with the SoL-Updater!

If you have some ideas to make the program better: please sent them me so I can improve the program! Also lesson-wishes are welcome!

Hufwe Atxur

News: Eana Eltu-Exporter

The last day(s) I've been working on an application to export vocabularies from Tuiq's Eana Eltu into the Lsn-Format from Seed of Language. The Eana Eltu-Exporter is able to export selected vocabularies from the dictionary into the format SoL is using for its lessons. So you're able to create individual lesson with small efforts!

These are the (most important) features. Instructions can be found here.

- Select between the modes English -> Na'vi and Na'vi -> English
- Custom editing of the cells supported (contract words that are too long or needless)
- Filter the table with wildcards (so it's some kind of a very very tiny dictionary)

However, if you plan to include audio-examples or images, you would have to include them via the Lesson-Builder. I've made a Python-Script that searches for free audio-examples in the internet and then downloads the selected ones, but it isn't ready yet for public use (however, if you're interested, pm me).

Special thanks to Tuiq for his dictionary and to Puvomun (@poan: features you suggested were included) for beta-testing!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Hufwe Atxur on November 21, 2010, 04:37:39 AM
News: Eana Eltu-Exporter

The last day(s) I've been working on an application to export vocabularies from Tuiq's Eana Eltu into the Lsn-Format from Seed of Language. The Eana Eltu-Exporter is able to export selected vocabularies from the dictionary into the format SoL is using for its lessons. So you're able to create individual lesson with small efforts!

These are the (most important) features. Instructions can be found here.

- Select between the modes English -> Na'vi and Na'vi -> English
- Custom editing of the cells supported (contract words that are too long or needless)
- Filter the table with wildcards (so it's some kind of a very very tiny dictionary)

However, if you plan to include audio-examples or images, you would have to include them via the Lesson-Builder. I've made a Python-Script that searches for free audio-examples in the internet and then downloads the selected ones, but it isn't ready yet for public use (however, if you're interested, pm me).

Special thanks to Tuiq for his dictionary and to Puvomun (@poan: features you suggested were included) for beta-testing!

Sir, this is pure WIN.

Puvomun

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 21, 2010, 08:45:20 AM
Sir, this is pure WIN.
Srane. This is an incredible tool! I am already using it to make short lists of words I have trouble with, so I can go through them quickly and often. :D

Repetition, repetition, repetition...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

News: Seed of Language 1.8

Kaltxì ma frapo, I'm happy to announce that today version 1.8 of Seed of Language released. This version contains the following changings:

* Significant changings in the User Interface
* Performance Updates
* A new program-icon (it replaces the old EXE-icon on Windows and is shown throughout the whole program)
* New About-Window and Preferences-Window
* Support of "English > Na'vi" and "Na'vi > English"-lessons without editing the Lsn-File! (Project: Reversed Lessons)

The last changing might me the one that many would appreciate. It doesn't work however for lessons with images yet, but I think it should fulfill its purpose ;)

Important Note: I've updated the Updater (sounds weird), so if you plan to use it to update your version to the new one, please download the new SoL-Updater first!
/Edit: Fixed the bug (no EXE downloaded)

I'm also searching beta-testers for my Python-script to download spoken examples of Na'vi words from the internet (it's thought for the EanaEltu-Exporter so users wouldn't have to make audio-examples by themselves). This time, Python 2.6 is required, so if you're interested tell it me, rutxe.

Puvomun

Good work, ma 'eylan. Updating the updater to update the rest was the simplest thing. I admire your work and software.

Irayo!!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

Irayo ma Puvomun!

I'm happy to announce that you can now use the EanaEltu-Exporter v1.1.
This version contains some performance-updates (faster exporting) as well as the option to include spoken examples of Na'vi words into the lesson-file. Whether an example is available or not you can determine by looking at the new button in the program. If there's an exampe, you can listen to it by hitting the button that should now be enabled.

Just a few notes if you want to use this feature:
- All audio-files (mp3) must be in the new directory audio-examples
- The audio-file must have the same name as the vocabulary (lowercase only on Unix)

If you plan to use those examples, you'd first have to convert their filename into lowercase (only if you're using an Unix-system!!). Since this is an annoying work, you can quickly to this with the Shellscript below (simply place it into the directory, where the folder audio-examples is [assuming you've put the audio-files into this directory]).

#!/bin/sh

# devdaily.com

for i in 'ls *.mp3'
do
 orig=$i
 new='echo $i | tr [A-Z] [a-z]'
 echo "Moving $orig --> $new"
 mv $orig $new
done

Tirea Aean

great job. but cant get the updater to work on linux. keeps tryin to say its in the wrong directory. i put it in:

~/Seed of language/bin/

which is where it says to put it...

oh and lesson authors, be prepared for a couple posts about lesson edits.

Hufwe Atxur

Probably because you changed the name of "Seed_of_Language.jar" to something other .. I've removed this now, so if you use the new version it should work. Remember to delete the old SoL-Jarfile it you gave it another name.

ma TA: If you use the version I built now, you won't have to delete the old file. Simply start it with this command, and replace FILENAME.jar with the filename you're using for SoL. The program will do the rest.
java -jar SoL-Updater.jar FILENAME.jar

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Hufwe Atxur on November 29, 2010, 08:00:26 AM
Probably because you changed the name of "Seed_of_Language.jar" to something other .. I've removed this now, so if you use the new version it should work. Remember to delete the old SoL-Jarfile it you gave it another name.

Lame!

i like to rename stuff.

that way all i have to do is:
so much easier and faster that way. and yes, I know about tab-completion. i still like to shorten the names. :3

glad you decided to make a new version. sorry for my stupid mistake.  ;D

EDIT: the above commands totally work now. THANKS! :D

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Works on Ubuntu 10.10, a few things I though might be good.

• Being able to select an answer before the sound has played
  • Being able to disable sound
  • Progress display, so you can see the number of questions left
  • Lessons can fail to end after the last question
  • Sometimes the dialogue at the end of a lesson gets shown several times
  • The GUI isn't large enough for the text, mostly for options
Not many of the lessons seem to have images, it might be good to add more. 8)
Good program, well done. :D I'm using it aswell as Anki, mainly because I haven't found any audio/images for Anki.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Hufwe Atxur

Quote from: Key'ìl Nekxetse on December 03, 2010, 06:01:43 AM
Works on Ubuntu 10.10, a few things I though might be good.

• Being able to select an answer before the sound has played
  • Being able to disable sound
  • Progress display, so you can see the number of questions left
  • Lessons can fail to end after the last question
  • Sometimes the dialogue at the end of a lesson gets shown several times
  • The GUI isn't large enough for the text, mostly for options
Not many of the lessons seem to have images, it might be good to add more. 8)
Good program, well done. :D I'm using it aswell as Anki, mainly because I haven't found any audio/images for Anki.

Thanks for the feedback! But I'm not sure, if I understood each of your suggestions:

1) Do you mean the "Correct-answer sound" or the audio-example? If you mean the second one, it should already work

2) The audio-example or the "correct-answer sound"? It's already possible to disable the first one; the second one is for educational purposes only (that the correct answer is shown a short time after it was given)

3) I already planned this, but I'm not sure where I should include this. Anyways, a new (sub)version will release this weekend, fixing some bugs etc..

4) I did never encountered this problem, at least on Windows and Macintosh it works fine

5) This is quite strange, since I did program Seed of Language to only show the window once a lesson.

6) Yes, I know .. maybe a selector for the font-size will be added in the next (sub)version

Did other Unix-users encountered similar problems?

Key'ìl Nekxetse

It seems to prevent the user from clicking an answer until the audio example is given, which could be irritating (I understand why it does that, though). I would like to be able to select the answer before or during the spoken part.
It seems to display the next question once the sound effect has played, but if that can be turned off that's great. I couldn't read parts of the options window, so I don't know what can be changed.
The text might not display properly as Linux has different fonts, which cause problems with other programs too, I think.
This is the options window:

Good fast response 8)
~$ life --help

Hufwe Atxur

Well, I now set a default-font, and it looks equal under Windows XP, Windows 7 and Macintosh, so the bug concerning the disrupted design should be removed now.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Just remembered, the screenshots page on the website has got lost. :-\
In which version is it fixed? The one on the download page?
The download links are causing 'Fatal system error!' :o
~$ life --help

Hufwe Atxur

I HOPE it is fixed in version 1.8.2 (Mac: 1.8.1) which will be released tomorrow.

Quote from: Key'ìl Nekxetse on December 03, 2010, 07:36:34 AM
Just remembered, the screenshots page on the website has got lost. :-\
In which version is it fixed? The one on the download page?
The download links are causing 'Fatal system error!' :o
Yes .. I'll solve the problem ;)

Puvomun

Quote from: Hufwe Atxur on December 03, 2010, 06:26:42 AM
Quote from: Key'ìl Nekxetse on December 03, 2010, 06:01:43 AM
Lessons can fail to end after the last question[/li][/list]
Did other Unix-users encountered similar problems?
Now you mention it, I did have this happen a few times. Never really paid much attention to it though. (Also Ubuntu, 10.04 here)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ean Hufwetulyu

Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.