Seed of Language (vocabulary training software)

Started by Hufwe Atxur, September 03, 2010, 07:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaiyuri

I tried to download windows installer and I got this Fatal system error can someone help me?

Puvomun

Quote from: Kaiyuri on December 03, 2010, 01:55:47 PM
I tried to download windows installer and I got this Fatal system error can someone help me?
Did you install it as administrator? (User is not admnistrator)
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

Seed of Language: Version 1.8.1

I'm happy to announce that I've found some bugfixes for the bugs Key'ìl Nekxetse mentioned. This version should provide a better font-size for Unix(-like) systems and it should now look equal under Win/*nix/Mac. Also the "Visit the website"-bug (error message is shown though the process succeeded) was removed.
The progress-bar in the Lesson-Manager was replaced by a spinner which is now indicating whether a lesson is being downloaded or not. Also the field for a personal notice was removed since I'll need the space for a future-feature; if you hit the keys ALT+R on your keyboard, the audio-example will be replayed.

I hope you enjoy this new version!

http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/downloads - Users of v1.8 should be able to update via the SoL-Updater

Quote from: Puvomun on December 03, 2010, 03:06:08 PM
Quote from: Kaiyuri on December 03, 2010, 01:55:47 PM
Did you install it as administrator? (User is not admnistrator)
I think he means the download-page on the website. I just fixed this error, so you can use it now.
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Puvomun

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Eyamsiyu

Totally just downloaded this.  Used it a couple times, and I must say, I am DEFINITELY using this!

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Hufwe Atxur

News for Ubuntu/Linux/.. and Macintosh-users. I've now updated all tools for Seed of Language (EanaEltu Exporter, Lesson Builder) and hopefully fixed the bug regarding the different font-sizes on different systems (which disrupted the design on Unix-like systems). Windows-users needn't update since it changes nothing (major) in the programs behavior.

Thus far a new lesson is available (People vocabulary); I did also update the following lessons, which now have better audio-examples and some corrections:
- Na'vi Objects
- Na'vi Interjections
- Na'vi numbers 1-16

Key'ìl Nekxetse

After completing a lesson and loading another, the last question of the last lesson appears, and the program freezes.
It isn't using much of the CPU.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Puvomun

I updated to the latest version of SoL and tried a handful of lessons. I did not encounter the hanging last lesson-screen anymore. The layout of the program looks good here, on Ubuntu 10.04, with 1280x1024 monitor.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Everything looks OK for me, good work 8)
...waiting for another bug... :P
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Kaiyuri

Irayo it downloaded I can't wait to use this program

Seze

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Kaiyuri

On my seed of language it only has one lesson and it says that I have a connection error Java.io.FileNotFoundException:../data/temp/lessons.tmp (access denied) when I try to download more lessons.

Hufwe Atxur

Quote from: Seze on December 04, 2010, 04:26:44 PM
*Stickied*
Irayo nìtxan!

Quote from: Kaiyuri on December 05, 2010, 01:22:56 AM
On my seed of language it only has one lesson and it says that I have a connection error Java.io.FileNotFoundException:../data/temp/lessons.tmp (access denied) when I try to download more lessons.
I'm guessing you're using Windows 7/Vista. When you're not logged in as administrator, you don't have the permissions to download new lessons since you have only reading access to C:/Program Files.

You can either try running the program with administrator privileges or install it into "My Documents" where you normally have rw-access. I think that another user had a similar problem, maybe this helps you.

Edit: I wrote a small document about how to solve the problem. It will be included with the next Windows-installers; for now you can view it online: http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/win7vista.html

Kaiyuri

ok I got it to work as administrator Irayo for your help I appreaciate it

Hufwe Atxur

Its just me with a little question. Has any of you encountered problems with playing the audio-example or with loading the lesson-file? As for me, the program works fine on my old computer, but a bit slower on a netbook with Win 7 on it. I might me able to fix this, but ere I do this I wanted to know if some of you had similar "problems". Anyways, I'll try to make the program faster in the next version.

Just a thing to know for lesson-makers: In the newest version, the program will automatically detect whether there's an picture or audio-example available for the current slide. You can strike the mnemonic-sentence and the example-sentence tag too, since this feature ain't built in anymore. This reduces the tags for a slide to five.

Also you could expect some new lessons in the following days, so stay tuned!

Puvomun

I have not had any audio problems. The program runs fine on the linux desktop and the win7 laptop, audio and all.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

A notification:

In the new version of Seed of Language, I plan to add several more languages to the program; thus the language-file has to be translated. Since I don't speak that much languages, I'd need your help at this stage! So if you want to use Seed of Language in your native language and have the time to translate about ~80 entries (see the English language-file below), please reply in this thread or send me a private message.
Your help is greatly appreciated!

Finished:
Dutch (irayo ma Puvomun)

# Menubar
Lang1=Program
Lang2=Exit
Lang3=About this program
Lang4=Shows information to the program
Lang6=Visit website
Lang7=Opens the website of the program
Lang8=Preferences
Lang9=Set preferences for the program
Lang10=Lessons
Lang11=Download lessons

Lang13=Information
Lang14=Name:
Lang15=Description:
Lang16=Created at/by:
Lang17=Slides:

# SettingsWnd
Lang22=Here you can set the program's preferences
Lang23=Language
Lang24=Save
Lang48=Preferences

# DownloadWnd
Lang25=Please select the lessons and click on the download-button!
Lang26=Download
Lang27=State
Lang28=Connected to Eywa
Lang29=Connected .. all Lessons were downloaded!
Lang49=Lesson-Manager

# LessonWnd
Lang30=Seed of Language-Lesson
Lang37=Txantsan!
Lang38=Okay!
Lang39=End of lesson!
Lang40=You had %d correct and %d false answers.
Lang43=Time needed: %d seconds
Lang45=Average time: %3f seconds
Lang46=Close window
Lang50=Lesson analysis
Lang52=Add here your personal notice to this slide!
Lang53=Play sound
Lang54=Language:
Lang55=Play sound?
Lang57=Determines whether a sound example should be played or not
Lang58=Show question?
Lang59=ZIP-Files are being extrahated..
Lang60=Lesson-language:
Lang61=View statistics..
Lang62=Here you can view your personal lesson-statistic.
Lang63=Lesson-statistics
Lang64=Lesson
Lang65=Correct Answers
Lang66=False Answers
Lang67=Time needed
Lang68=Average time
Lang69=Date
Lang70=Click to hear the audio-example again!
Lang73=You are in a running lesson. Do you really want to quit?
Lang74=Shuffle questions?
Lang75=ALL DATA from the database will be deleted. Do you really want to proceed?
Lang76=The data was deleted sucessfully from the database!
Lang77=Delete all data
Lang80=Reload list
Lang81=Open lesson
Lang82=Click to add an example sentence
Lang83=Add a personal notice
Lang84=Downloading ..
Lang85=Click to add note!
Lang86=Replay
Lang87=Do you want the following lesson to be reversed?
Lang88=Font-size:
Lang89=Reversed lessons?
Lang90=You've entered a false RegEx-pattern!
Lang91=New lessons are available!!
Lang92=Lesson %s is being downloaded..
Lang93=Lesson-check?
Lang94=Replay audio?
Lang95=Lessons marked with a * were already downloaded!
Lang96=Connecting to the server..
Lang97=General
Lang98=Lesson-Window

(Just in case you wonder: A # resembles a comment while the constant %s or %f or %d resembles a string/number the program will add here)

Puvomun

Quote from: Hufwe Atxur on December 08, 2010, 07:29:27 AM
A notification:

In the new version of Seed of Language, I plan to add several more languages to the program; thus the language-file has to be translated.

Cool idea, ma tsmukan. Is there a maximum number of characters we should be aware of per line/string? I can supply the Dutch version for you.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

Quote from: Puvomun on December 08, 2010, 10:05:27 AM
Quote from: Hufwe Atxur on December 08, 2010, 07:29:27 AM
A notification:

In the new version of Seed of Language, I plan to add several more languages to the program; thus the language-file has to be translated.

Cool idea, ma tsmukan. Is there a maximum number of characters we should be aware of per line/string? I can supply the Dutch version for you.
Irayo ma 'eylan!
The sentences should be as long as the English ones, but it doesn't matter if they were 5 characters longer.

Puvomun

Quote from: Hufwe Atxur on December 08, 2010, 10:47:05 AM
Irayo ma 'eylan!
The sentences should be as long as the English ones, but it doesn't matter if they were 5 characters longer.
Siltsan! Sometimes translations can be a bit longer. I'll see what I can do for you.

Ngopyu ayvurä.