Seed of Language (vocabulary training software)

Started by Hufwe Atxur, September 03, 2010, 07:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hufwe Atxur

Seed of Language: Version 1.9

I'm glad to announce that today (proper for the birthday of Avatar and the upcoming birthday of LN) workings on Seed of Language v1.9 were finished! As announced, SoL now contains a new language that is Dutch - many thanks to Puvomun for his translation. But beside this, also numerous of other changes were performed:

- The last lesson-repetition is now saved and shown in the lesson's information-box (with the paraphrase "Today" or "% days ago")
- Loading the lesson's data-file should be a nuance faster
- Several bug-fixes (including the bugfix for many lesson-statistic windows shown up after the ending of a lesson)
- Import lesson-files from anywhere on your hard-disk
- The Windows-Installer should now fix the "Permission denied"-problem on Win Vista/7 (though you'll have to install it as administrator)
- Several lesson-variables were removed
- You can repeat a lesson with a mouse-click after it ended
- Faster appearing of the tooltip-text
- And (of course) some performance-updates

I've written a changelog for this version that you can view here - it also contains information about the removed lesson-vars and the bugs that were fixed.

For some reasons you won't be able to use the Automatic Updater, so you'll have to download the file and then do the obvious ..

I hope you enjoy this new version of the program!
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Hufwe Atxur

Just an information for the users of the SoL-Updater: The problem was solved and you can use the Updater to get the newest version of Seed of Language!

A news for the Windows-Installer users: From now on, the EanaEltu-Exporter is included with this package by default!

Puvomun

Fantastic. I just did it, and yes, it works. The language option is nifty. :)
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

Important notice: Due to the fact that I'll delete the domain ayeltu-lefngap.net soon, several features in the program, including the Lesson-Downloader and the SoL-Updater could not work properly in the next days. I'm working on a fix (okay, it's just about changing a variable in the sourcecode..), so stay tuned!

You might also want to update Seed of Language to the current version ere the website goes offline .. ;)

Ulte, irayo ma Puvomun!

Hufwe Atxur

The website is online again. Since the domain changed from http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net to http://seed-of-language.hufwe-atxur.net, you should download the newest version of SoL and the Seed of Language-Updater in order to be able to use the Lesson Manager and the Updater without problems.

If you however plan to use the Updater to get the current version, you'll first have to download the new SoL-Updater and then you can proceed doing the usual things..
And if you have some lessons you'd like to share with others, please send them to my new eMail-address: mail (..) hufwe-atxur (..) net

Puvomun

Ma tsmukan,

when I try to download the new version (1.9) directly (http://seed-of-language.hufwe-atxur.net/download?id=1), I see: "The requested URL /files/Seed_of_Language.zip was not found on this server."

I could download the SoL-Updater (1.2). That worked well for the upgrade to SoL 1.9, but then I found that Seed of Language still points to the old domain when I tried to download the "People vocabulary" lesson.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

It seems that I uploaded the files into a wrong directory on my server - it should work fine now. The SoL-Updater should work fine, since I'm able to update to the newest version (1.9.1) with it.

Puvomun

Using the updater I downloaded, I get this:
Quotepaul@Kelutral:~/Seed of Language/bin$ java -jar SoL-Updater.jar
Downloading instructions.upd .. Please wait!
Instuctions were downloaded .. continuing

Downloading Seed_of_Language.jar .. Please wait!
Downloading Seed~of~Language.exe .. Please wait!
Downloading DU.lang .. Please wait!
Downloading EN.lang .. Please wait!
Downloading DE.lang .. Please wait!
Downloading profile.config .. Please wait!

Download complete! Now moving the files..

Moving ./Seed_of_Language.jar
Moving ./Seed~of~Language.exe
Moving lang/DU.lang
Moving lang/EN.lang
Moving lang/DE.lang
Moving settings/profile.config

But after the update, I am still on 1.9, not 1.9.1 (about tells me it is the build of 20 december)
QuoteBy: Lukas W. (aka Hufwe Atxur)
Version: 1.9 - Dec 20, 2010

and when loading a new lesson, I still see:

Another thought for the updater: is it easy possible to let that tell the user which version has been installed in the popup that says it's done? Like "new version 1.9.1. installed"?

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

Okay, I updated the update-files on my server as well as the Win-Exe and both ZIP-archives. Maybe you should download the newest version of the SoL-Updater and then try again.
The text in "About this program" wasn't changed by me, but now it should say "Version: 1.9.1 - Dec 24, 2010".

Quote from: Puvomun on December 24, 2010, 03:56:32 AM
Another thought for the updater: is it easy possible to let that tell the user which version has been installed in the popup that says it's done? Like "new version 1.9.1. installed"?
It is now possible with the newest version of the SoL-Updater.

Puvomun

Right. I don't get it.

I fetched the new SoL-updater, updated SoL. Nice work, the version number in the updater.

But I then wanted to download a new lesson, and the popup told me again it cannot get to ayeltu-lefngap.net.

So I downloaded the latest SoL zip and installed that as well. And believe it or not: the same problem happens.

Here is what I have on jar-files in $HOME/Seed of Language/bin:

paul@Kelutral:~/Seed of Language/bin$ ll *jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul 354904 2010-12-24 11:12 Seed_of_Language.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul   7574 2010-12-24 11:10 SoL-Updater.jar

Then I checked if there is a reference to 'ayeltu' in that directory, and surprise surprise:
paul@Kelutral:~/Seed of Language/bin$ grep ayeltu *
Binary file Seed_of_Language.jar matches

Somewhere in the code behind the button "Download" in the "Download manager" window, I suspect there still is a reference to the deprecated domain.

When I look inside the jar-file and search ayeltu, I find:

QuoteApplication.version = 1.5
Application.vendor = Luke W.
Application.homepage = http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net
Application.description = A Na'vi vocabulary-trainer.
Application.vendorId = Hufwe Atxur

Could that present the problem?

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

Sorry, it was my mistake - in the Lesson-Manager one part of the program still referred to the old domain .. so if you NOW use the newest update, it should (hopefully) work.

Quote from: Puvomun on December 24, 2010, 04:36:00 AM
When I look inside the jar-file and search ayeltu, I find:

QuoteApplication.version = 1.5
Application.vendor = Luke W.
Application.homepage = http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net
Application.description = A Na'vi vocabulary-trainer.
Application.vendorId = Hufwe Atxur

Could that present the problem?
No, but perhaps I should change this in future. NetBeans automatically creates property-files for the project, and I missed to change the Project-URL. But this has no further meaning or purpose.

Puvomun

Success!! It works all fine now! :D

Good job, ma 'eylan!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

Seed of Language: Version 1.9.1

Who doesn't know this situation - you inadvertently closed Seed of Language and now you'll have to open the Start-Menu again, navigate to the directory and .. bah, that takes too much time!

With a new little add-on the program will automatically create a tray-icon for Seed of Language where the most important actions are listed: Open the program, Visit the website and Quit. Several changings were made to the program, thus it won't be closed if you press the close-button, it will disappear and wait in the background for it's call - you can reopen it easy (and quick) by hitting the appropriate menu in the tray-icon menu. If you hit "Quit", the whole program will be quitted (and so the tray-icon vanishes).

This will only work on machines with Java 6 (thus not Mac) and systems that support tray-icons (e.g. Windows)!!
You can also update with the Lesson-Updater.

It is likely that this will be the last update for a very long time - I simply lost the interest and free-time to work any longer on it. If anyone has some lessons to be submitted on the website, you can send them to me per eMail.

http://www.hufwe-atxur.net/downloads

Puvomun

You worked hard and fast on it, I think that the program is very very good at the moment. Irayo, ma tsmukan, for everything!!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

Perhaps I (and others if they like to?) will start to work on version 2.0. Here's a todo-list for me, you're free to add something if you like:

• Completely new programmed in C# (thus better support for Windows, but it should work under Linux/.. with Mono)
  • New lesson-design (thus no compability to the 1.x-lessons) - saved in ini-like files (faster than xml .. though I must think about using LinqToXML)
  • Nicer layout
  • Audio-support
  • Pictures
  • Better indication whether answer was correct or false
  • Perhaps no tracking of statistics
  • Animations (?)
  • Most of the features of 1.x will be in 2.0 (Lesson-Downloader,..)
  • Perhaps an integrated updater
  • Mirror-Lessons (equal to the reversed lessons - ?)

So, if there was anyone out there who would like to participate, he/she is more than welcome to!

Tirea Aean

bleah. mono? eh. okay. ::)

I like what you are planning to do with this.

Random question: how often are new lessons being made for this and who is making them? I havent used it in a while as my vocab is generally really good.

and to those who make lessons: I would like it if someone made lessons to complement and reinforce the Prezi lessons as found on Projectngaynume.com this would totally help out the students. :D also let me know when and which ones you have made, and for each one you shall receive a karma cookie ;D

Keep up the good work :D

//Sorry I am not yet versed in the realm of CS and cant help out with the coding of the program :(

tsmukan

I can't dl the software, when i click on the link(windows) a blank screen appears.. then nada.. :P

Hufwe Atxur

Bah, I hate those errors. It should work just fine now ;)

Swoka Ikran

Just got around to installing this yesterday (installer's been on my desktop for a while). Nice program.

The lesson downloader doesn't work though. I'm assuming it's because ayeltu-lefngap.net is down...(getting DNS errors).
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Hufwe Atxur

Yes, the bugfix for this was released on Dec 24th. At least on my machine it's working fine.