Seed of Language (vocabulary training software)

Started by Hufwe Atxur, September 03, 2010, 07:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hufwe Atxur

Quote from: Keith Cleaver on September 11, 2010, 04:40:10 PM
Irayo for the new version!

I was just going through the new website sections in the English site, and in the What is Na'vì? section, you have a put a link to some sort of video, but all the link does is keep me at the page I'm actually reading, so I never see the video!
Thanks for informing me - the link is now included (it actually links to the "Paul Frommer at GRID in Sweden"-topic).

Edit: Since Zeykoyu Aean asked me something about the creation of new lessons I've written a new guide for this topic. It can be downloaded from here.
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Seze

I added your project to the stickied "current list of projects" thread.  Let me know if I mis spelled anything...

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Hufwe Atxur

Quote from: Seze on September 12, 2010, 11:03:48 AM
I added your project to the stickied "current list of projects" thread.  Let me know if I mis spelled anything...
Thanks!

I'm currently on work with v1.3 - it will include some small changes; I've programmed the following features yet:
* Ask if a running lesson should be closed
* Added a button to open a web-dictionary for more information about the quested vocabulary (doesn't work under Mac - I'll see if I can find a solution). The link to this webpage is by default dict-navi, but this setting can be edited by the user
* Some bugfixes and the usual stuff

If there are more wishes for the new version I'd like to hear them - and I'll include them if possible!

Tirea Aean

Error in lesson : Pronouns.
name should be changed, as it doesnt contain any pronouns,
äö invalid, should be äo

Error in Lesson: Objects
can also be called nouns, but objects is ok
'upxare means message, not answer.
Ramunong is a well, not a fountain.

Error in Lesson: Sample vocab
Tawtute is skyperson, not skypeople. tawtute is singular, (ay)sawtute is plural
Tsmuk is singular sibling, (ay)smuk is plural siblings.

Lesson: Numbers
a perfect score is achievable easily by simply clicking ok every single time, answer position is not varied.

I see some basic errors, likely due to direct language translation error. no big deal, i just suggest these changes.

Irayo seiyi.

--TA

Hufwe Atxur

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 15, 2010, 10:29:04 AMLesson: Numbers
a perfect score is achievable easily by simply clicking ok every single time, answer position is not varied.

I see some basic errors, likely due to direct language translation error. no big deal, i just suggest these changes.

Are you using the v1.2? In this lesson I put the correct answer at each question in the first tag - versions smaller than 1.2 doesn't have the module for mixing the answers included. But this may also be coincidence - I tried this now and got four correct answers by simply clicking the button. Will try to get a solution to fix this in v1.3. Irayo for the report!
I'll remove the errors in the lesson-files later

Tirea Aean

perhaps I do have the old version...Downloading now... Apologies for the unnecessary things posted due to my ignorance.

Hufwe Atxur

The v1.3 is now available!
I intended to release the program tomorrow but somehow I managed to finish this version today - I hope nobody is annoyed (:

The v1.3 includes some minor new features and bugfixes:

* The database with the statistics can now be deleted with two mouseclicks
* You can open a web-dictionary to the questioned vocabulary by clicking on a button
* And you can also determine if you want the lesson-order to be random
* In the Linux and Windows-version the answer-selection is now resetted when a true answer was given
* Some minor changes in the GUI (bigger lesson-window)
* And finally the Macintosh-users can open the program's website via a menu-item (Same with the dictionary)
* The author auf the lesson is now being shown in the main window
* Downloaded lessons are marked as such in the lesson-manager

The next version is likely to be a subversion to v1.3 because I plan v1.4 with a support for lessons with images! Because this includes a bigger change in the sourcecode I don't know when actually the work'll be finished. I also don't want this to look like ToV - I've only an airy idea of how the lesson-window'll look like - if you have suggestions I welcome them!
However, there will be some changes on the program in the next time, and if you wish to stay up-to-date you can read the developement-blog.

This version can be downloaded from the info-page at my website: http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/info.php
Tested under Win XP (32bit) and Macintosh OS 10.unknown

Eywa ngahu ulte lrrtok livu ngar!

Carborundum

I can't download it. When I try, all I get is this: (see attached file)
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Hufwe Atxur

kay, some malformed PHP-code - fixed it. The file is now downloadable, thanks for informing me! It seems that the file wasn't downloadable since I made the new download-page, I'm sorry for that!

Zeykoyu Aean

There is still something amiss in the Mac download.

The download will seemingly complete but fails to unzip (all others before have unzipped normally).  When I try to unzip the file I am told that I can't do anything because the file is still being downloaded!

Lonnie

Hufwe Atxur

It seems that there was something wrong with both ZIP-Files - I'm sorry for that. I chose some wrong options in my ZIP-program and so something with the compression didn't work. I removed it and tested it twice, it should work now.

Well, is someone interested in translations of the program into other languages? Because thats something I can add in the v1.4 or a subversion of v1.3 - I'd only need help with the translation.

-----

Why I make all those funny errors? The new lesson-window is ready and runs well (For those who don't know it: The v1.4 will support images, therefore some changes in the GUI [Graphical User Interface] were made. There won't be a selection-box, you'll just have to click on the box with the correct answer and it will be marked if the answer was false. However, also lessons without images will be supported - there will be no need to update old lessons! But .. you'll see how it looks like around Wednesday/Thursday, I don't want to tell too much ;))

But giving you facts about the new version is not the reason why I edited the post. In version 1.4 a sound will be played if a correct answer was given. Currently I'm using a file from ToV but cannot use it in the official version. I've searched many webpages to find an appropriate mp3-file but didn't succeed yet. Is someone out there who has a sound that could be played when the correct answer was clicked (Or could even create one)? The length should not be longer than 1.3 - maximal 1.4 seconds and it should make clear that this was the correct answer (What I'm thinking of: da-daah).
This could really help me!

Hufwe Atxur

Rina'lì'fyayä v1.4 available!

A major new release, and I hope its worth the red color - Rina'lì'fyayä v1.4 released today. New is the lesson-window (no selection-box anymore) and the fact that it is possible to create lessons with image-txt association. There are also some changes in the creation of new lessons - but you can also use lessons that were made for older versions. Anyway, all the new information can be read in the updated document "How to create a lesson for Rina'lì'fyayä" - downloadable on the website.
Beside this, there are also some smaller changes in the program, e.g. there's now a progress bar in the download-window and a sound is played if the answer was correct (currently it's a very simple sound) and more.
I created a simple lesson that has some images included - its name is "Adpositions and other prefixes" and is included in the download-package.

You can download the program (Windows,Linux and Macintosh) from http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net

Ps.: Ere I forget it, I strongly recommend an update to this version!!
Pps.: If you don't want your saved statistic to be deleted, do NOT overwrite the /db-directory!!
Ppps.: .. kay, maybe now it's complete. Forgot to say that you can see an example of the new lesson-window on the screenshots-page ("A running lesson")

Tirea Aean

is there a way to get it to repeat the audio example as many times as you want it to while in a lesson?

Hufwe Atxur

Sure, this feature was introduced in v1.2, just click with your mouse on the questioned vocabulary, e.g. Kaltxì.

Tirea Aean

oh cool. i must have missed that. </längu oe skxawng.>

Hufwe Atxur

Just because some persons that tested the program for me had some questions about the images in lesson (and maybe because you are curious), here are some information. Note that all these information can be found in the updated guide that describes howto create a lesson.

Please don't use copyrighted material since this may be prohibited and can result in civil punishment. Its better to ask the owner if you could use it (don't know actually what is about AVATAR-images .. maybe someone has an answer to this question?). Another way is to create the images yourself (that's what I did - please forgive me the primitive drawings in the adpositions-lesson). Anyway, it's better to ask if you use foreign images.

Images must have the filetype GIF (please write the filetype-extension lowercase [e.g. "image.gif" - NOT "image.GIF"]) and there should be a text describing what the picture actually is (see attachment).
Hope this answers eventual questions about that topic.

Ps.: I created a new lesson with img-text association today - its name is "Stickman anatomy". Forgive me the primitive drawings :)

Hufwe Atxur

Notification - please read!
Kaltxì frapo!

Sorry for the double-post, but I discovered a strange bug in the current v1.4. It isn't necessary to update, but I'd recommend it. Because I don't like bug-fix-only updates, I've made a few changes in the program. So, that are the changes in v1.4.1:

* The available lessons are now displayed with their names (same in the Download-Manager) - better overview and no cryptic tags
* Faster startup (yes, okay. It are only a few milliseconds, but better than nothing ;))
* Some minor changes in the interface (e.g. no border with variable size,..)
* Better implementation of language-files

http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/info.php

If you update the program, make sure that you backup your old statistics (the /db-directory). After the installation, you can overwrite the created directory with the old /db-directory.

The project for v1.5 is to translate the program in several languages. This is a point where I'd need help from you! I only speak English, German and a bit French (guess nobody is interested in a Latin language file). Languages that might be interesting are French (and Na'vi - possible if someone was really interested!) - that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be language-files for e.g. Greek.
So, this is something I'd need help with - if you are interested in translations.

Beside this, I'll now focus my efforts on the creation of new lessons. I'll try to include as many images as possible, that that ain't the problem (the cavemen drawings). Are there any suggestions for new lessons? If so, then PLEASE tell it me so that I have a overview over the needed lesson-files. If you could participate - this would be GREAT! It would also help me, if you translate some parts of the lang-file into a language listed above:

Irayo ulte Kìyevame!

Hufwe Atxur

Notification - New subversion-feature in v1.4.2!
Kaltxì frapo!

I'm very sorry for the, in the meanwhile became, tripple-post but yesterday midnight I had the idea for a new feature which I built in today. Until now the questioned vocabulary wasn't centered correct, vocabularies longer than 10 chars weren't in the center of the lesson-window and this didn't look good. Well, with this subversion this is fixed - and this offers the possibility to create a complete new kind of exercises - worksheets.

With this subversion it's possible to create worksheets like "Find the correct case-ending" (which is in fact the first lesson that uses this feature). So it is not only possible to create just vocabulary to text-lessons, no, it offers the chance to train Na'vi with full sentences! This could be: "Find the correct case-ending", "What's the correct time-infix", "Happy or unhappy - Pejorative and Laudative" and more..!
As mentioned before, I created a lesson that is an exercise for the correct case-endings - it can be downloaded via the Lesson-Manager ("Grammar: The cases"). I'll create more such worksheets if you want them!
Please note that you have to use the v1.4.2 of Rina'lì'fyayä to make this lesson look in the way I intended it to. Because this was just a small "feature", only the JAR-file has to be replaced - they're attached, please choose the correct one! (You can also download this version from my webpage, but this ain't necessary)

If you weren't running Rina'lì'fyayä before, you have to download the software from my webpage: http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/info.php

Okay, just wanted to announce it - maybe someone likes it :)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Maybourne on September 25, 2010, 06:34:01 AM
Notification - New subversion-feature in v1.4.2!
Kaltxì frapo!

I'm very sorry for the, in the meanwhile became, tripple-post but yesterday midnight I had the idea for a new feature which I built in today. Until now the questioned vocabulary wasn't centered correct, vocabularies longer than 10 chars weren't in the center of the lesson-window and this didn't look good. Well, with this subversion this is fixed - and this offers the possibility to create a complete new kind of exercises - worksheets.

With this subversion it's possible to create worksheets like "Find the correct case-ending" (which is in fact the first lesson that uses this feature). So it is not only possible to create just vocabulary to text-lessons, no, it offers the chance to train Na'vi with full sentences! This could be: "Find the correct case-ending", "What's the correct time-infix", "Happy or unhappy - Pejorative and Laudative" and more..!
As mentioned before, I created a lesson that is an exercise for the correct case-endings - it can be downloaded via the Lesson-Manager ("Grammar: The cases"). I'll create more such worksheets if you want them!
Please note that you have to use the v1.4.2 of Rina'lì'fyayä to make this lesson look in the way I intended it to. Because this was just a small "feature", only the JAR-file has to be replaced - they're attached, please choose the correct one! (You can also download this version from my webpage, but this ain't necessary)

Okay, just wanted to announce it - maybe someone likes it :)

Awesome! can you attach the Linux version too? (or is the exe compatible with wine?)

Hufwe Atxur

Thanks for the answer - thought that this is going to be a quaddro-post ;D
Yes, the Windows-version can also be used on Linux, only Mac-users have to download the special file.