Seed of Language (vocabulary training software)

Started by Hufwe Atxur, September 03, 2010, 07:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hufwe Atxur

I had the chance to play a bit with Visual Studio and made some changes to the program. Nothing major, but perhaps someone likes it ;)

* Choose your own correct-sound (mp3)
* Some changes in the language file
* A special icon is shown when the date of the last repetition of a lesson is more than 7 days ago. Also the program now shows the time-span to the last repetition in days and hours

Quote from: Tirea Aean on July 02, 2011, 05:03:27 PM
Quote from: Blue Elf on July 02, 2011, 04:56:55 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on July 01, 2011, 03:17:06 PM
glad to see that this program is still being supported/devoloped. :D
Sweylu, txo fkol mipa sänumvit ngivop. I was thinking about this, but..... Also good audio samples would be great.

Indeed. VrrtepCLI's quiz game kinda just did the whole job of 3-choice quizzing the entire dictionary, but it is text only.

This program's awesomeness factor shall increase the more picture/sound lessons are made. I unfortunately have not the time...
I'd make some new image-lessons or add images to the existing lessons, but I haven't found an image-source yet. Does anyone knows a source where I can get free images/clip-arts (GNU GPL, ..)?
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Tirea Aean

Downloaded to find that it's become a Windows-only program (as far as I can tell. and it doesnt seem to wanna work with WINE)

Unfortunately, I dont know anywhere that hosts images under GPL (can images be licensed under GPL? I thought that was a software license.)

Hufwe Atxur

Yes, the 2.0-version was programmed using the .NET-Framework 3.5, what makes several things for me much easier. Perhaps it works if you install the .NET-Framework 3.5 (or higher) with Wine - as far as I know you can start it with Mono, but due to the fact that I use a WinAPI-Function for playing the mp3-file and switching to the next slide it won't display another slide (there was one person who tested it, and it didn't work).

Sorry, it was too late when I posted the last message - of course the GPL is for software. I meant any free images, or perhaps images released under Creative-Commons.

Tirea Aean

the versions using Java runtime work great on Linux, I wonder if there are any major functionality (as opposed to cosmetic) upgrades/changes since that framework was abandoned?

Hufwe Atxur

I looked at the download-statistic on my page and found out that about half of all users use Windows, so I wanted to make it easier for Windows-users to use this program.
Of course I made some major functionality changes, for example:

* New INI-File-like lesson-format (faster and easier to use)
* Bigger image-sizes for lessons allowed (though they are not animated)
* Generally the program has become much faster
* And of course the usual design-changes

If I remember correctly I made a screenshot of the new version, you can find it here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/mgallery/?sa=item;id=2122

Anyways, if you can run the program with Wine, please tell me!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Hufwe Atxur on July 10, 2011, 04:23:27 PM
I looked at the download-statistic on my page and found out that about half of all users use Windows, so I wanted to make it easier for Windows-users to use this program.
Of course I made some major functionality changes, for example:

* New INI-File-like lesson-format (faster and easier to use)
* Bigger image-sizes for lessons allowed (though they are not animated)
* Generally the program has become much faster
* And of course the usual design-changes

If I remember correctly I made a screenshot of the new version, you can find it here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/mgallery/?sa=item;id=2122

Anyways, if you can run the program with Wine, please tell me!

Wine was unsuccessful yesterday when I tried. I figured many would be using Windows... I was hoping for a crossplatform solution, but it seems the only way to use this (for me and other non-Windows users) is to use the old java runtime version.

I do like what you are doing to the program and where it's going, but I haven't been able to use it since you changed languages. If I knew a single thing about GUI programming, I'd try to make a port for Linux users. but...I've only thus learned to program for commandline apps...

Blue Elf

As this software is for .NET platform, it probably don't with WINE itself. Try to install .NET, but I'm not sure if it is possible (I'm Windows user too :)) When I was working with Linux bloody ages before, I was able to run only Winzip inside of WINE, no other application (although I believe that big progress occurred since that time).
I'd expect that it can be run with Mono, but AFAIK, Mono emulates .Net 2.0, so if there is dependency on .Net3.5, it probably will not work, as .Net3.5 has amount of API relying on Windows API, DirectX and other things not available on Linux...

I got some idea for improving lessons a simplifying lesson file: now for every question you define all three answers - the first one is correct, other two incorrect. What about this: lesson file will contain for every question only correct response, other two generates program using other questions? This allow every test to be unique with different answers available.
Some limitation is, that by this way you have limited number of answers - maybe there can be another section in lesson file with bank of wrong answers? Or even use the same data files as vrttepcli uses for retrieving wrong answers? Just thoughts...
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Blue Elf

Quote from: Hufwe Atxur on July 09, 2011, 04:17:26 PM
I'd make some new image-lessons or add images to the existing lessons, but I haven't found an image-source yet. Does anyone knows a source where I can get free images/clip-arts (GNU GPL, ..)?
Try to go to the google and enter "free image library" key words. I hope you find something usable. For example this (I didn't looked inside ...)

Hufwe Atxur

No, it won't work with Mono since I use the mciSendString-method to play the mp3-files (this was the only solution to get an acceptable speed). Of course you could try to install the .NET-Framework using WINE, but as far as I know, just versions up to 3.0 work with it.

You could try using the .NET 3.0-version to run Seed of Language what could possibly work since I can't think of any 3.5-function I made use of. But perhaps any of the next versions will be platform-independent.

Quote from: Blue Elf on July 11, 2011, 03:11:48 AM
Quote from: Hufwe Atxur on July 09, 2011, 04:17:26 PM
Try to go to the google and enter "free image library" key words. I hope you find something usable. For example this (I didn't looked inside ...)

Thanks, I'll take a look at it!

Quote from: Blue Elf on July 11, 2011, 01:10:05 AMI got some idea for improving lessons a simplifying lesson file: now for every question you define all three answers - the first one is correct, other two incorrect. What about this: lesson file will contain for every question only correct response, other two generates program using other questions? This allow every test to be unique with different answers available.
Some limitation is, that by this way you have limited number of answers - maybe there can be another section in lesson file with bank of wrong answers? Or even use the same data files as vrttepcli uses for retrieving wrong answers? Just thoughts...
This is similar to the method I use to get images for the false answers (walking through the lesson-file and saving each answer in an array) and would not require any false answers, though a lesson would have to have at least three slides to work propery. I'll add this feature in the next version.

Tirea Aean

Do you still have the source code for the old Java version?

Tsufätu Ayioangä

:/  So I downloaded it and was working on the sample lesson and it wouldn't advance to the next set after a correct answer.  And if I cotinued to click on the correct answer, it wracked up my correct points.  Then when i hit four it freaked out on me :/

Swoka Ikran

Strange. Likely another bug...

Is this app still being supported? The last update to Hufwe Atxurä website is March 2011, and his last post was in July. :(
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Blue Elf

I have installed version 2.1.1 and it works well (although I didn't use it for ages). Now I tried to get current version 2.2.0 and it is impossible - when I try do download it, it says: "Fatal system error. Please contact the webmaster."
I'm unable to download anything...

Tirea Aean

I think the plug was pulled on this app a while ago. Not 100% sure, but I get that feeling.