Seed of Language (vocabulary training software)

Started by Hufwe Atxur, September 03, 2010, 07:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

downloaded the zip attachment. unzipped. only a .jar was in there. set the jar executable. ran a terminal. here is the result of trying to run the jar:

tirea@ubuntu:~$ java -jar rinalifyayae.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jdesktop/application/SingleFrameApplication
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:634)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:277)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:73)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:212)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jdesktop.application.SingleFrameApplication
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
... 11 more
Could not find the main class: nuleliuti.NuleLiutiApp. Program will exit.

result of right clicking and clicking "Open with OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime":

<nothing happens>

question: is this simply a new jar that was supposed to replace the old one in the bin of the old folders? I was under the impression that a person who has never had an older version of this would be able to download this and use it...but it just comes with the jar and not the other files... is that causing the problem above?

Hufwe Atxur

Did you overwrite the old JAR-file with the downloaded one? Because that's what to do, delete the old "rinalifyayae.jar" and put the new "rinalifyayae.jar" in the /bin-directory.
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Tirea Aean

i figured...
It works now. :)

so people who never had it before and want the latest version REALLY have to go download the old one and get the new jar and replace it?

EDIT: it doesnt open any lessons.

Hufwe Atxur

Yes, sorry, I forgot to write this in my post above. Edited.
Well .. no, now I've understood! The version on my webpage is also the latest one, I just didn't want that every user downloads the 2MB-package just for such an small update.

Edit: It doesn't work? Just overwrote my old JAR-file with the zipped one, and it runs. It might not work because you have a malformed lesson in your /data-folder - which files are there (the xml-files)?

Tirea Aean

Have you seen Le'eylan's Prezi lessons?

I can get you the pictures from any of them you need. and the vocab that goes with it. that way people in my project can use your program's picture association along with prezi lessons and such.

PS: I went and downloaded the whole new package. then opened successfully, BUT here is result of simply trying to open a lesson:

tirea@ubuntu:~/rl/bin$ java -jar rinalifyayae.jar
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.Error: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at org.jdesktop.application.ApplicationAction.actionFailed(ApplicationAction.java:859)
at org.jdesktop.application.ApplicationAction.noProxyActionPerformed(ApplicationAction.java:665)
at org.jdesktop.application.ApplicationAction.actionPerformed(ApplicationAction.java:698)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2012)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2335)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:404)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:253)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:289)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6108)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3267)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5873)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2105)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4469)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2163)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4295)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4461)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4125)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4055)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2149)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2478)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4295)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:604)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:185)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
at org.jdesktop.application.ApplicationAction.noProxyActionPerformed(ApplicationAction.java:662)
... 27 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at nuleliuti.ImgLess.<init>(ImgLess.java:109)
at nuleliuti.NuleLiutiView.showImgLess(NuleLiutiView.java:151)
... 32 more

The second line starts the report of after i hit the folder button to open the pronouns lesson.

Hufwe Atxur

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 25, 2010, 11:40:07 AM
Have you seen Le'eylan's Prezi lessons?

I can get you the pictures from any of them you need. and the vocab that goes with it. that way people in my project can use your program's picture association along with prezi lessons and such.
Of course, and I like them, but does Le'eylan agree? In that case it would be great.
Apart from that, does the program work or did the v1.4 work? Because I can't think of any error that causes that NO lesson opens. There's only one situation such a fatal error can happen - but in that case every lesson has to be malformed, and the one available on the webpage are all checked by me for errors. And if it works under Macintosh, it HAS to work under Linux!!11

Tirea Aean

I'll get back on that.

And really, the same error for all lessons.

it REALLY doesnt wanna open ANYTHING. the older version was fine i forget the version, but this newer one is just not workin for me...

the Lesson downloader works...but none of the lessons will open. the folder button does nothing, the terminal displays same error...

Hufwe Atxur

Okay, I just searched the line that causes the error - it has something to do with the settings-file: It can't find the setting for "Shuffle the questions". Have you changed something in this file? Please post the file (you can find it in /bin/settings/PRG.config) here. Mine looks so, maybe you just copy& paste it into your file:
#Settings-File
#Sat Sep 25 18:55:43 CEST 2010
ShuffleQuestions=0
DictURL=http\://dict-navi.com/?content\=dictionary&type\=search&search_term\=
DefaultLang=EN
ShowQuestion=1
DisplayDwnLng=
PlaySound=1

Just a questions, do you mean the v1.4 or v1.3 with the older version?

Edit: Just made the program to display the same error - it has definitely something to do with the setting.

Tirea Aean

ok so what i did was get rid of all Rina' Lì'fyayae stuff, then go to the site and get the latest download, unzip and then go into a fresh terminal and then cd and open the jar...it works perfectly well now. the issue may be that i left the same command line open from before i swapped out the jar...

in any case i like it. tho the correct answer noise at first sounds like an incorrect answer noise ::)

Hufwe Atxur

Though its strange since I wrote this line in the v1.3.. But good to hear that it works now, thought that Linux also has some special-wishes :o

Yeah, the answer-sound is a bit strange, but it was the only thing I was able to create (I'm definitely NOT a sound master). What I did yesterday was to take the "Correct2.mp3"-sound out of the ToV-folder (actually this file lies in "Tree of Voices/Data/Correct2.mp3") and paste this into the /data/snd-directory of Rina'. The program is set to decal 1.3 seconds from the whole time needed, so it works fine with this file ;)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Maybourne on September 25, 2010, 12:10:24 PM
Though its strange since I wrote this line in the v1.3.. But good to hear that it works now, thought that Linux also has some special-wishes :o

Yeah, the answer-sound is a bit strange, but it was the only thing I was able to create (I'm definitely NOT a sound master). What I did yesterday was to take the "Correct2.mp3"-sound out of the ToV-folder (actually this file lies in "Tree of Voices/Data/Correct2.mp3") and paste this into the /data/snd-directory of Rina'. The program is set to decal 1.3 seconds from the whole time needed, so it works fine with this file ;)

good idea

Zeykoyu Aean

Aloha Tirea Aean (and Maybourne):

I have been fiddling around with Maybourne's program on a Mac (10.6.4) and have sent Maybourne a sample of "The Conversation Words" list with as many sound files as I could find and download (I am missing seven words).

I am discussing with him the presentation of graphics  for each question (sort of one way really as I do not code).

Were you to be able to use available graphics from the Prezi series I think that would make for a fantastic teaching aid.

Zeykoyu Aean

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Zeykoyu Aean on September 25, 2010, 09:33:08 PM
Aloha Tirea Aean (and Maybourne):

I have been fiddling around with Maybourne's program on a Mac (10.6.4) and have sent Maybourne a sample of "The Conversation Words" list with as many sound files as I could find and download (I am missing seven words).

I am discussing with him the presentation of graphics  for each question (sort of one way really as I do not code).

Were you to be able to use available graphics from the Prezi series I think that would make for a fantastic teaching aid.

Zeykoyu Aean

I'm quite sure Le'eylan will let me use prezi material...I own all of her prezis as they were made for my experimental project. I will just allow this on terms that she gets credited for her work. SO you can tell me which picture out of which prezi you need i can get it for you. I agree that RL lessons that follow the NgayNume prezi series will be fantastic. OH and don't expect the english word to be present on these pictures.

Hufwe Atxur

Notification - New subversion-feature in v1.4.3!
Kaltxì frapo!

Today I've been working on a better markup system for correct and false answers. A false answer now has a red border, a correct one a green border while the correct-answer sound is played and then is resetted to default - it took me some hours to find out how to make it so, that the border appears WHILE the sound plays (and at the end I was quite surprised how simple it was). The changed files are attached, please choose the one that fits to your operating system (Window/Linux is "the same"). Just go into the program's /bin-directory and overwrite the old file with the downloaded one.
If you weren't using this program before, you can download it from my webpage: http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/info
Okay, this should be enough updates in three days, don't think there'll be more in the next days ;)

To display the correct answer on a image a bigger change in the sourcecode would be required because Java does not like the way I'd do that :p (there's actually another way to do that which I'm trying out, but don't expect too much). So that could be a feature for v2.0 if I don't find a solution. Well, in my opinion it's not soo much work to edit an image - and if someone who creates a lesson don't want to do that, I can make this..

Beside this, I've created another grammar exercise, its name is "Grammar: Lenition" and is designed the way I introduced in my post for v1.4.2. Maybe some experienced Na'vi learner could control this for I'm still learning the language. In the next time it's likely that there'll more such lessons, so check the Lesson-Downloader for new exercises (and please feel free to correct me if necessary!) ;)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Maybourne on September 26, 2010, 11:54:08 AM
Notification - New subversion-feature in v1.4.3!
Kaltxì frapo!

Today I've been working on a better markup system for correct and false answers. A false answer now has a red border, a correct one a green border while the correct-answer sound is played and then is resetted to default - it took me some hours to find out how to make it so, that the border only then appears if an (and at the end I was quite surprised how simple it was). The changed files are attached, please choose the one that fits to your operating system (Window/Linux is "the same"). Just go into the program's /bin-directory and overwrite the new file with the old one.
If you weren't using this program before, you can download it from my webpage: http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/info
Okay, this should be enough updates in three days, don't think there'll be more in the next days.

To display the correct answer on a image a bigger change in the sourcecode would be required because Java does not like the way I'd do that :p (there's actually another way to do that which I'm trying out, but don't expect too much). So that could be a feature for v2.0 if I don't find a solution. Well, in my opinion it's not soo much work to edit an image - and if someone who creates a lesson don't want to do that, I can make this..

Beside this, I've created another grammar exercise, its name is "Grammar: Lenition" and is designed the way I introduced in my post for v1.4.2. Maybe some experienced Na'vi learner could control this for I'm still learning the language. In the next time it's likely that there'll more such lessons, so check the Lesson-Downloader for new exercises (and please feel free to correct me if necessary!) ;)

Awesome news. Downloaded and works great. I like how this is progressing.

Carborundum

Here's an interesting behavior:

That's my result on the lesson "Na'vi Numbers 1-16", which has 16 questions total :D
It seems like if I click on a wrong answer multiple times, every time I do is counted, and wrong answers apparently have higher priority than correct ones.

Not a bug that's likely to be a problem during regular usage, but I figured you might want to know about it anyway.
Good work on the app so far. I look forward to seeing what features will be added next :)
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Hufwe Atxur

Aahh .. thought nobody would notice it. Thank you for the comments and the bug-report, I'll make a solution for this in v1.5 (will release in about ~1-2 weeks cos I don't have so much time now and I want to create some exercises for the program.)
As we are talking about lessons: I've created another grammar-exercise ("Grammar: Tenses #1") that is actually part of the tenses-serie. Don't know if someone was doing anything familiar, but you free to participate on this serie (also with example-sentences for my Na'vi ain't as good as I wish - there shouldn't be errors in the file, but could somebody check it out?).

Just a question: Does the thing with the red/green border also work on Mac/Linux - weren't able to check it out for that systems (some people just ignore the Na'vi language and unfortunately the only Mac-user I know also does so..)?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Maybourne on September 27, 2010, 12:25:58 PM

Just a question: Does the thing with the red/green border also work on Mac/Linux - weren't able to check it out for that systems?

Yes. (Linux, that is.)

Hufwe Atxur

Notification - there's now v1.5 available!

Kaltxì frapo,

Srane! I managed to clear some bugs (also the "Bug" Carborundum mentioned) and made some performance-updates - so the lesson-list in the download-manager now just only appears if the program is REALLY connected to the internet - and yesterday evening I built the v1.5! Also I updated the "Preferences"-window (now NO restart is required) and made the program to use a bit less space (ain't much at all).

What might be more interesting for lesson-authors (is there anyone out there *sniff*?) is that now the correct answer appears ON the optional image - so you don't have to edit it. Just ensure that the background of the image isn't red, blue or even green for that won't look nice. The colors for the border that is displayed when a correct answer was given was also updated to a more friendly one.
Also I started the statistics with this version - how often a lesson was downloaded can be seen on this site.

If you are including an image for a lesson, please make sure that there is space (about 25px) from the top to the image's content because there the correct answer will be displayed.

The program can be downloaded from my website: http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/info
Please ensure that you backup the /db-directory of older Rina'lì'fyayä versions to save your old statistics!

And ere I forget it: There's now the second part of the grammar-serie "Tenses" available!

Hufwe Atxur

Notification - there's now v1.5.1 available!

Kaltxì frapo,
the last days I've been working on the program a bit, but because it are just performance-updates is is a subversion of v1.5:
* Bigger statistics-window
* Some corrections in the English language-file

What might be more significant is that the program's name now is Seed of Language! I started to having these dreams to don't like the Na'vi translation; I also thought about completely renaming the program, but finally I just set the English meaning of Rina'lì'fyayä to the program's name.

All parts of the program got the new program-name and I've also updated the website. You can download the program from the usual place: http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/info

-----

Now, three more lessons are available:

* Na'vi color-system
* Conversational vocab #2
* Useful 2-letter words

The first two ones are based on the information provided by Karyu Pawl, the third one is the digitalized exercise from Kaltxì Palulukan's workbook. Did this because the three is a better number than two (don't force me to explain that, please ;D), but if someone was really interested, I could continue with the digitalisation.

All lessons have audio-exampes and no images (didn't found suitable ones).

Since my statistics say that very few persons downloaded the v1.5: I forgot to say, that I recommend an update because of the image-guided lessons (in newer lessons the vocabuary explaining the pic will not be written on the image, it appears when a correct answer was given).

Edit: Forgot to say it, but if some of you were curious: lessons with 700kB size can be uploaded on my webpage (before today, only 400kB were possible). Also I've updated the gallery a bit (photo of lesson window - view it here)

-- Maybourne