Seed of Language (vocabulary training software)

Started by Hufwe Atxur, September 03, 2010, 07:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hufwe Atxur

Notification - v1.5.2 can be downloaded!

Kaltxì ma oeyä ayeylan,
Yesterday I thought about some features in Seed of Langugage that could improve the performance. Today, I wrote the necessary modules and included them in the program, and it seems that everything works just fine!

You ask what those updates actually are? Now the lesson-list in the main-window as well as the list in the Lesson-Downloader is sorted! So it ain't necessary to scroll the whole list down to find the searched lesson.

Also, I saw a malformed code in the Linux/Windows-version - so far you couldn't determine whether multiple lessons were downloaded or not because the progress-bar stopped suddenly. This is very annoying if you download big lessons-files (over 200kB), because there was a slight chance that the lesson is not complete after the download.
This bug was fixed in the current version, so you can see at the progress bar if the download was complete. Mac-users don't have this problem since it seems that I made the necessary updates in a previous version.

You can download it from the webpage: http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/info
Since this is a minor update you can also overwrite the old JAR-file with the one you can download from here:
Windows/Linux
Macintosh

I've created two more lessons, their names are WB: Three-letter words and WB: Useful three-letter words (They're all based on exercises made by Kaltxì Palulukan).

The webpage was also updated, I removed the registration-page and some mistakes in the English language-file.
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Hufwe Atxur

Update: Version 1.5.3 is available!

Nothing really important, just a bugfix in the Macintosh-Version and a splashscreen in the Windows/Linux-version as well as some keyboard-shortcuts were added. I've also updated the executable in the Windows-version, it's now a bit smaller.

Also so-called "story-lessons" can now be made, since it's possible for the lesson-author to turn off the automated shuffeling of the questions. Beside this, I've made two new lessons and updated the website-design.

http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/

TesterScot

I've downloaded the program, thanks.
I've got a problem with lessons, though - on the lesson page it says to click the disk icon to download a lesson; however, the only disk icon on that page takes me to where I can download the program.

Is this a problem caused by the website re-design?

(Edit - spelling)

Irayoru 'Awve Tìkameie for the profile pic. Go to http://www.mpandoraln.weebly.com to see his ongoing work.
Brand New Learner - please correct my usage 8-)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: TesterScot on October 12, 2010, 06:01:07 AM
I've got a problem with lessons, though - on the lesson page it says to click the disk icon to download a lesson; however, the only disk icon on that page takes me to where I can download the program.

Is this a problem caused by the website re-design?

(Edit - spelling)

The program actually HAS a lesson-downloader BUILT IN. ;)

TesterScot

Ah, Irayo!!!
New brain please   :P

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 12, 2010, 07:11:48 AM
Quote from: TesterScot on October 12, 2010, 06:01:07 AM

The program actually HAS a lesson-downloader BUILT IN. ;)

Irayoru 'Awve Tìkameie for the profile pic. Go to http://www.mpandoraln.weebly.com to see his ongoing work.
Brand New Learner - please correct my usage 8-)

Nusumea Tirea

Very nice progam.  I like the multi platform functionality :)

I just downloaded and tried it (Windows XP, works fine).

As a sugestion, a button to replay the actual word would be nice.

Hufwe Atxur

Quote from: Nusumea Tirea on October 12, 2010, 12:43:10 PM
Very nice progam.  I like the multi platform functionality :)

I just downloaded and tried it (Windows XP, works fine).

As a sugestion, a button to replay the actual word would be nice.

This is possible - just click on the questioned word and the sound will be replayed.

Thanks to Zeykoyu Aean who has made three lessons (Conversational vocab 1,2,3) with more than 90 questions that are based on the word-list from the forum. Of course with sound-examples!

Hufwe Atxur

Update: Version 1.6 is ready for use!

Kaltxì ma aynumeyu lì'fyayä leNa'vi,
I'm happy to announce that today version 1.6 released! This versions contains a minor bugfix in the Linux/Windows-version as well as some changings in the interface of the program (dictionary button removed,etc..). An answer can now have more than 28 characters and the feature that lesson-authors can decide whether the questions should be shuffeld or not was introduced in the previous subversion.

Since I won't be here the next week I cannot give you help with problems (it is very unlikely that there'll be problems - just for the case). I'm now programming a little tool that will make some parts of the program easier to use (yes, I won't say what this is) - expect it when I come back.

[you], have fun with it!

Puvomun

Tewti! This is good!
I downloaded it and run it on Linux and it works just fine (after changing the fileformat of run.sh).
Sìltsan, ma 'eylan!
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

Notification: A little bug detected!

Kaltxì frapo,
yesterday I was told in the German subforum that there is a more or less annoying bug (special characters weren't displayed the way they should in the Linux version - you may have noticed it when viewing a German lesson in the Downloaded [^ instead of "ä" displayed]).
I found a solution and made the program fully UTF-8 compatible, also the lesson-list in the main-window is reloaded after you used the download-manager. Beside this, the keyboard-shortcuts are (in the Mac-version) fully Macintosh-compatible, so you have to press the Meta-button instead of Ctrl+D/Q.

Expect the tool I promised next Saturday for I won't be able to work on Seed of Languages the next week!

Quote from: Puvomun on October 13, 2010, 01:09:49 PM
Tewti! This is good!
I downloaded it and run it on Linux and it works just fine (after changing the fileformat of run.sh).
Sìltsan, ma 'eylan!

Hufwe Atxur

Version 1.7 and Lesson Creator ready for use!

Kaltxì ma numeyu lì'fyayä leNa'vi,
Since now, you can download the version 1.7 of Seed of Language. This version changes the GUI of the program, fixes some bugs and contains some small performance updates.
I replaced the "mnemonic sentence" by a field where you can set a personal memo to the actual slide. If you click either on the example-sentence or on the personal notice, the sentence reappears in the popup-window.
Since many users asked how to replay the audio-example (what could be done by clicking the question) and the way I programmed it didn't seem to work, I added a button to replay the audio-example.

Beside this, I've built a more or less useful tool that makes the creation/editing of lessons more comfort. Just download the program from here, install it by moving the files into the Seed of Language-directory and start it as you are used from Seed of Language. (JRE >= 1.5.0 required)
Attention: The Creator doesn't zip the lesson-files nor uploads it on the webpage nor creates a directory for the sound/image-files. This must be done manually (but since this is the easiest process when creating a new lesson, it shouldn't be a problem).

May it be useful for you, [you]!

Puvomun

Great job, wundervolle Arbeit, ma 'eylan! Runs great on Linux.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Nusumea Tirea

Good job ma 'eylan. Works fine. I will test the lesson creator tool ;-)

Hufwe Atxur

Added some small features to the Lesson Builder, update it if you like (ain't necessary)!
Anyway, I've started to digitize the exercises from the Na'vi Activity Book by Kaltxì Palulukan - the following lessons are available, and they will soon become more.. ;) (expect two/three more in the following days):

• WB: 3-letter words
  • WB: Common 2-letter words
  • WB: 3-letter adjectives and connectors
  • WB: Useful 3-letter words
  • WB: Commonly used 4-letter words
  • WB: Other 4-letter words you should know

And thanks for the feedback!

Hufwe Atxur

Lesson Creator version 1.2 released!
Kaltxì ma [you], numeyu lì'fyayä leNa'vi,
during my prolonged weekend, I was able to make some changings in the Lesson Creator. In version 1.2, I included a "Choose a file"-dialog into some parts of the program, so you don't have to create a directory (that is done by the program itself), move the files there and then make the appropriate changings in the program.
When you click the "Add an audio-example"-button or "Add image", a file-dialog pops up, in which you can select the file from anywhere on your harddisk; after that, the file is moved into the directory and will be automatically included into the lesson. What still must done manually is to zip the lesson-files.

http://ayeltu-lefngap.net/download.php?id=8 - Update recommended!

Hufwe Atxur

Feature requests for version 2.0? Post'em!

It seems that this is the third message in three days, but I wanted you to know that I've started working on version 2.0 of Seed of Language. Since this will be a completely rewritten program, I want to include as much equitable features as I can - but at this point I'd need a bit help: If you have suggestions for this new version - whatever it is, I'll try to include it if the feature is of common-sense - please let it know me!

Just a few infos: Yes, the program will be written in Java and the design of the lessons won't change much (so you'll be able to use lessons of the 1.x version without problems).

Any ideas?

ma puvomun, I'll include this features!

Puvomun

Kaltxì ma 'eylan,

I have a few ideas. I am not sure if they are possible to implement though.

- A selectable fontsize for the list of lessons. It looks a bit small on my computer. (nice to have, not crucial)
- The description of a lesson sometimes is too long to be displayed in full on the lesson overview.
E.g. "Useful words #1": the description is cut off here after "Some vocab is from". Maybe you have a way to wrap that around, or so.
- A minor detail (I am a terrible nitpick) : A change in text: Click on the "Open" button to Click on the "Open lesson" button. (Did I mention I am a terrible nitpick?)

That's all I can think of quickly. I like the way the program looks and works. Even I can use it, so it is simple enough. Don't change that (too much ;)), please!

Irayo!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Hufwe Atxur

More preferences setable in Version 1.7.1!

Kaltxì ma ayeylan ulte numeyu lì'fyayä leNa'vi,
today the version 1.7.1 of Seed of Language released! This version contains the changings suggested by Puvomun and a minor bugfix. You can now set the font-size used in the lesson-list in the main window and the Lesson Downloader to a value between 10 and 14 (though I recommend 10/11).

A feature for coming lessons are the s.c. "Reversed lessons" - these are lessons where you can change whether it should be Na'vi to English or English to Na'vi without changings in the lesson-file! Since this requires some major sourcecode-changings (tried to include it in this version, but wasn't able to complete my working) it is likely that I won't make the necessary changes till I've more time left and found a way to optimize this feature.

Download it from http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/

Hufwe Atxur

News: Update to Version 1.7.3!

I'm happy to announce that today the version 1.7.3 released! This are the new features:

* If you gave a wrong answer to a slide, the sound-example will be replayed (If this annoys you, turn it off in the Preferences-Window)
* Finally, all German lessons and the exercises Stickman Anatomy and Adpositions were removed (Since there's a better lesson for Prepositons of place now)
* New font-style in the lesson-window (This makes it possible that you'll see the vocabulary on every background)
* Some style-changings in the Lesson Analysis-window
* No notification-box pops up when you change something via the Preferences-window
* The menus were edited and the button "Reload lesson-list" can now be found in a submenu

In the table-filter included in the Macintosh-version (in fact you can do this in the Windows/Linux version too), you can use wildcards. If you enter a lesson-name in the input-box, you can let the program show all lessons that start with this character by adding the wildcard-symbol * after it. For example: WB* will show your efforts with the Workbook-lessons (since they all start with WB).
If you see this star in the Lesson Manager, it means that you've already downloaded this lesson.

Finally I decided to make the new lesson "Body parts" public. Download the attachment and move it into the data-directory to use this lesson.

http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/downloads

Hufwe Atxur

Alright, I'm happy to announce that Lesson Creator version 1.2 is out. This version fixes a bug and adds some new features, for example you don't have to save the opened slide when navigating to another in the same lesson (if you want to switch to another lesson, you'll have to press the button with the disk-icon).

I've also digitized (with audio-examples) all exercises from the Na'vi Workbook (3-letter words to remember,etc .. so only those that are convenient for the program) so you can use them with Seed of Language (Prefix in the download-manager: WB). I hope you will enjoy it!