Seed of Language (vocabulary training software)

Started by Hufwe Atxur, September 03, 2010, 07:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

Wou! You did magic! Irayo, ma Eltu Lefngap, the program is improving in a great way! I love all your changes, it looks great here on Linux now, and it works better and better.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tirea Aean

you change/update so often, I struggle to keep up! not sure that is bad or good, probably good...XD

Pino

It would be nice for the program to allow .gif (Graphics Interchange Format) or video files. This type of feature allows the creator to illustrate the meaning of words much better, example: words involving action or motion, and etc. This would be a short clip and only be played once and replay all clips when the user clicks on the Na'vi word.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Pino on November 02, 2010, 08:32:42 PM
It would be nice for the program to allow .gif (Graphics Interchange Format) or video files. This type of feature allows the creator to illustrate the meaning of words much better, example: words involving action or motion, and etc. This would be a short clip and only be played once and replay all clips when the user clicks on the Na'vi word.

wow thats actually a really cool idea. is this possible, EL?

Hufwe Atxur

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 02, 2010, 06:05:04 PM
you change/update so often, I struggle to keep up! not sure that is bad or good, probably good...XD
I don't think that there will be an update the following weeks, since everything useful for the program I can think of is already included. So update it - I'll try to make only updates at bigger changings in future ;)

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 02, 2010, 09:06:33 PM
Quote from: Pino on November 02, 2010, 08:32:42 PM
wow thats actually a really cool idea. is this possible, EL?
Yes it is, and thanks for this wonderful idea! Java supports animated GIFs (try the attached lesson), so you can use also animated pictures. But I don't think that I'll include video-support since a video:
* needs more space on the harddisk
* > following the first it will need a higher upload/download time
* videos can also be realized via GIFs (in some kind..)
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Tirea Aean

the lesson creator window is way huge on a Netbook screen and it cannot be resized. can it be made resizable? I hate it when certain windows are not resizable and they are bigger than the screen...

Hufwe Atxur

Unfortunately not without disrupting the window's design. I could try to make it a bit smaller in previous version - what screen-size (in pixels) do you have?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap on November 03, 2010, 01:31:49 PM
Unfortunately not without disrupting the window's design. I could try to make it a bit smaller in previous version - what screen-size (in pixels) do you have?

oh...

1024 x 600.

Hufwe Atxur

Seems that the lesson-file I've attached (with one animation) wasn't working due to a missing line - please use the attached one if you want to see an example with animated pictures in lessons. Irayo ulte Eywa ngahu!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap on November 05, 2010, 09:07:22 AM
Seems that the lesson-file I've attached (with one animation) wasn't working due to a missing line - please use the attached one if you want to see an example with animated pictures in lessons. Irayo ulte Eywa ngahu!

ahh very nice. i see good future with this.

Hufwe Atxur

I had some good ideas this weekend, and updated the Lesson Creator to Version 1.3. This are the new features:

- Edit the lesson-data (name, description, etc..) with some mouseclicks
- The question of the slide is shown in the list - easier navigating through a lesson-file
- A few design-updates

You can expect a lesson (Prepositions of place) with many animated pictures in the next days/tomorrow, I'm just trying to make some pictures that can also be seen by the public.

http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/downloads

Hufwe Atxur

Sorry for double-posting, but I was just curios if we could use pictures out of the movie for lessons (wanted to do that for the "Body Vocab"-lesson) - I think it's allowed because the program is free, but since I'm no lawyer, I'm not sure. Does anyone know more?

Puvomun

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap on November 07, 2010, 04:01:20 AM
Sorry for double-posting, but I was just curios if we could use pictures out of the movie for lessons (wanted to do that for the "Body Vocab"-lesson) - I think it's allowed because the program is free, but since I'm no lawyer, I'm not sure. Does anyone know more?
I am no expert either, but I think if you use images that are made public, promotional things etc, and you can put a note up somehow that the pictures are copyright 20th century fox, that should be fine. But that is just my view.

Not sure if there is a quick way to get in touch with Karyu Pawl (provided he'd know), or even 20th C.Fox, for permission. I had a look at avatarmovie.com and foxmovies.com just now but there is no contact link there...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Nusumea Tirea

Well, I started with translating Le'eylans prezi #3 from NgayNume into Seed of Language because I have permission to use her pics for that. (2/3 done, but I still have to work on the mpgs, my pronunciation isn't up to it, yet  :-X ) Therefore I managed to avoid using Pictures from the film until now. I think I saw it stated somewhere on the Fox site that you could use officially released pictures from Fox but only unchanged (and if you put in on a webside only for a month). For everything else you need their permision.
To be on the save side I would try to make pictures by myself or get permission to use pictures from avatarized people.

As an future idea: The idea with switching the words for qouestion / answer is nice. Make it work with pictures also, so that you get a picture as a question and to choose from 3 written answers.

Hufwe Atxur

Ma Nusumea Tirea, I get the pronounced vocabulary from this page - ages ago someone said that they can be used for community projects! Anyway, it would be sad if I'm not allowed to use pictures from the film - I've built such a nice Body Vocabulary lesson this afternoon :( Will try to get more information about this topic.

And as promised, I finished workings on the "Prepositions of Place"-lesson, you can download it now. This lesson makes use of animated pictures - I hope that it is clear what the pictures meaning is (yes, you've guessed correct: I'm not an artist!).
While testing the Body-Vocabulary exercise I noticed that sometimes the correct answer is a bit dark and thus it's quite difficult to see the text. I fixed this "bug" - in future a slight shadow is dropped and you should also see the text on a dark/green background (look at the attached screenshot).

Hufwe Atxur

News: Update to Version 1.7.3!

I'm happy to announce that today the version 1.7.3 released! This are the new features:

* If you gave a wrong answer to a slide, the sound-example will be replayed (If this annoys you, turn it off in the Preferences-Window)
* Finally, all German lessons and the exercises Stickman Anatomy and Adpositions were removed (Since there's a better lesson for Prepositons of place now)
* New font-style in the lesson-window (This makes it possible that you'll see the vocabulary on every background)
* Some style-changings in the Lesson Analysis-window
* No notification-box pops up when you change something via the Preferences-window
* The menus were edited and the button "Reload lesson-list" can now be found in a submenu

In the table-filter included in the Macintosh-version (in fact you can do this in the Windows/Linux version too), you can use wildcards. If you enter a lesson-name in the input-box, you can let the program show all lessons that start with this character by adding the wildcard-symbol * after it. For example: WB* will show your efforts with the Workbook-lessons (since they all start with WB).
If you see this star in the Lesson Manager, it means that you've already downloaded this lesson.

Finally I decided to make the new lesson "Body parts" public. Download the attachment and move it into the data-directory to use this lesson.
This lesson is now also available in the Lesson-Manager!

http://www.ayeltu-lefngap.net/downloads

Zhäki

What a great idea, and I'm so glad you have implemented it. :) I downloaded the program and the body lesson. I'm having some problems with it, though.
For reference, i'm running Win 7.
When attempting to open "WB: Useful 3-letter words", i get "Fatal Error! The soundfile could not be loaded: java.io.FileNotFoundException:..\data\nl-nw3-241010\12.mp3 (The system cannot find the path specified)"
When i click the "OK", i get "Sound could not be played: java.lang.NullPointerException"

Fair enough. perhaps i can download other lessons? I go to Lessons> Download lessons. i get "A connection error occured! jav.io.FileNotFoundException:..\data\temp\lessons.tmp (Access is denied)

Funny enough, the Body lesson works without incident.

Thank you again. :)

Hufwe Atxur

The first error is a bit strange. I just checked this lesson and it works without problems. Did you use the Setup and ran it with Administrator-permissions? If you aren't logged in as Admin, it might be possible that you don't have the permissions to create new directories in C:/Programs/Seed of Language. This would also be the reason for the second error (Permission denied).

To change this, you must either change the directory-permissions (assuming you installed it as Admin and then tried running is as a simple user) or install it into "My Files". Both will work - I'm using the second one, but you might want to try the first one if you don't want to install it again. (Set the permissions (logged in as admin) via clicking with the right mouse-button on the SoL-directory, then select Properties > Safety; select the user you're logged in with by default and then give it full-access to this directory (and all it's subdirectories - this can be made automatically when you hit the "OK"-Button)).

Edit: Okay, sorry: There's one small error in the Installer. It seems that the files for the WB: Useful 3-letter words-lesson are saved in the directory nl-adpp-190910 instead of nl-nw3-241010. This bug will be fixed in the next version, however, if you want to use this lesson, you must simply rename the directory (it lies in /data) nl-adpp-190910 into nl-nw3-241010. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Zhäki

This is the point where i decry windows for being obtuse. There is but one account on this machine, and it is me, the administrator, and yet it insists on running everything as if i were not. I have to specifically "run as administrator". it doesn't even ask me for my password!

Things seem to be running fine, now. Thank you for your prompt assistance!

Puvomun

WOU! I love what you did, ma tsmukan!! The way the words are highlighted is fantastic. Will soon play with the new lesson you attached, this is great. Irayo!

Ngopyu ayvurä.