Sheet on Connectives

Started by Vawmataw, May 26, 2018, 10:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

At school, teachers give us sheets with many possible linking words (connectives) to add in our texts. In that case, I thought it would be a nice idea to have a short list of them in Na'vi. I've created a table with several connectives sorted by category. I've also included the part of speech of the word but not the translations due to space restrictions.

As you can see there is still room to add words and phrases, so please don't hesitate to suggest words and improvements.

Note: The file has been taken down for correction.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Good work! Sunu oeru.

It looks very good.

Blue Elf

I'm not language expert but I'd say that connective is synonym for conjuction / connector, isn't it? Also, adverbs doesn't connect two parts of sentence together - that job of conjunction. Adverb modify verb to specify way, how action done by verb is performed, like:
go quickly, say a word again, look similarly etc. They usually stay at the end of sentence.

Some word classes are indicated incorrectly in the document:
Släkop is adverb (indicated by Paul), although from my point of view it should be conjunction (it connects more adjectives together)
Connective version of 'mawkrr' is mawkrra (surprisingly we don't have *srekrra ...).
natkenong is conjunction
<asy> is infix, how it connects sentences/phrases ???
to is particle for comparison
mungwrr is adposition
Among Purpose you name some verbs - but verb express action, or controls another verb (modals).

You should be more careful during material preparation.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Mako

Quote from: Blue Elf on May 26, 2018, 03:05:41 PM
I'm not language expert but I'd say that connective is synonym for conjuction / connector, isn't it? Also, adverbs doesn't connect two parts of sentence together - that job of conjunction. Adverb modify verb to specify way, how action done by verb is performed, like:
go quickly, say a word again, look similarly etc. They usually stay at the end of sentence.

Some word classes are indicated incorrectly in the document:
Släkop is adverb (indicated by Paul), although from my point of view it should be conjunction (it connects more adjectives together)
Connective version of 'mawkrr' is mawkrra (surprisingly we don't have *srekrra ...).
natkenong is conjunction
<asy> is infix, how it connects sentences/phrases ???
to is particle for comparison
mungwrr is adposition
Among Purpose you name some verbs - but verb express action, or controls another verb (modals).

You should be more careful during material preparation.

Marking this to come back to later.

Eana Unil

Well, adverbs and such besides conj. can connect sentences via context and stuff, like ha, ngian, mìftxele... they're not conjunctions of course, but can help connect sentences or ideas or stuff like that, so they are connectors in a way.

Ma BlueElf, do you have suggestions on how to improve mentioned/critiqued points?

Vawmataw

Well I've made some changes:

• Replaced "connectives" with "link words"
  • Reworded the introductory paragraph
  • removed some terms (asy and the purpose verbs)
  • Added the translations
  • Made the table fit onto two pages

I hope it's better, although it might still need to be improved. You can find the latest version in the attachments.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Blue Elf

Quote from: Eana Unil on May 26, 2018, 05:19:38 PM
Well, adverbs and such besides conj. can connect sentences via context and stuff, like ha, ngian, mìftxele... they're not conjunctions of course, but can help connect sentences or ideas or stuff like that, so they are connectors in a way.

Ma BlueElf, do you have suggestions on how to improve mentioned/critiqued points?
Problem is that these words are marked as adverb, although the behave more like conjunctions. IMHO someone better in languages should explain here. TBH I'm not even sure how these words works/are marked in my language (lazy to do research...) Some words apparently works different way than one could expect.
Current document version looks better and IMO could be accepted.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)