Translating Taronyu's dictionary

Started by Tuiq, July 29, 2010, 04:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 26, 2013, 12:39:30 PM
I went in to the page you go to to see what the UI looks like. I only saw an Update button. :-\
Maybe you have no permission to create a file^^ ;D

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 26, 2013, 12:39:30 PM
Interesting. Then what was is the problem? a 0kb file?
This:
Quote from: Tuiq on September 26, 2013, 10:40:23 AM
Maintenance done. Fixed a few errors caused by a forum update and made the log working again. Apparently it /does/ work, but pdflatex changed the "something went wrong" strings, which made my script think it went okay.

Introduced _LANGUAGE_PACKAGES_ to replace the default utf8 with whatever you need (in this case, usc and utf8x). Normal dictionaries should not be affected but might need to set this variable themselves.

ron seems to compile fine - at least some versions do. There's still LaTeX errors in others, but that's definitely not my area anymore. I've also fixed missing brackets (by deleting the word, *cough*) and one instance where you put {} around the whole entry, which made LaTeX cry.

I just moved the whole thing from /tmp/ to my home directory and ln'd the required files in. It's not a neat solution and I suppose "officially" installing ucs (according to this, downloading and putting a few files into the LaTeX search path should be enough) would be nicer, but it's all I can do with what I have.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

But I can edit any of the stuff you did or didn't do yet and press update. Maybe for your user on that "forum" has the [Create] button there.

weird.

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Tirea Aean

Tìtstewan

;D
So, you have not the permission to change "my" Variables and to Create "my" language version. ;D

Update:
Everything works fine now (for my language part)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The master dictionary editors have a lot more tools and access capability than individual language editors. However, the 'create' button should have been present for you. I'm glad its fixed.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on September 26, 2013, 05:44:19 PM
The master dictionary editors have a lot more tools and access capability than individual language editors. However, the 'create' button should have been present for you. I'm glad its fixed.

just for the master. Master editors (or at least I) can't create individual language dicts, yet can edit and update/save (Not that I need to) As long as everyone involved is capable of doing what they need to do, it's all good. :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 26, 2013, 09:46:16 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on September 26, 2013, 05:44:19 PM

just for the master. Master editors (or at least I) can't create individual language dicts, yet can edit and update/save (Not that I need to) As long as everyone involved is capable of doing what they need to do, it's all good. :)

That is true. Only Tuiq can start a new dictionary. But the more I play with EE, the more I see I can do, in terms of improving the master dictionary.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

By create I meant press the [Create] button, ie compile (on the translated dictionaries that these people are doing). I haven't messed with the dictionary since the time Toruk Makto agreed to take care of it

Tirea Aean

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 22, 2013, 02:38:30 AM
What happened to Swedish Version?
You are "really up to date", ma Tirea, I've mentioned that Markì waaay ago. ;D
And this:
Quote from: Il Sogno Viandante on July 04, 2013, 07:46:59 AM
Kaltxì ma Tistewan!
Oel kameie ngati! Yes, it has been down since I came to this Forum in February. I have spoken with Le'eylan about it and she's trying to fix it. So, hopefully, there will be new Swedish-Na'vi and Na'vi-Swedish dictionary before this christmas. Kìyevame ulte Eywa ngahu

Tirea Aean

;D ;D ;D ;D :o wou

I'll look into it as much as I can.

Tirea Aean

I've just noticed that the SQL file contains these language codes:

de, eng, est, hu, nl, ru, sv

but I know for a fact that there is also a pl (Polish) dictionary. The PDF is here: http://eanaeltu.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary_pl.pdf

So what really happens when the sql gets generated? It looks like a script is choosing hardcoded things from the actual Database and outputs them to the .sql file. The sql file then contains instructions to clone a portion of the database. How do entire languages get ommitted?

Tuiq

Quote from: Tirea Aean on March 12, 2015, 10:46:11 AM
I've just noticed that the SQL file contains these language codes:

de, eng, est, hu, nl, ru, sv

but I know for a fact that there is also a pl (Polish) dictionary. The PDF is here: http://eanaeltu.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary_pl.pdf

So what really happens when the sql gets generated? It looks like a script is choosing hardcoded things from the actual Database and outputs them to the .sql file. The sql file then contains instructions to clone a portion of the database. How do entire languages get ommitted?

The SQL output is not a dump of the real database, it's a text generated by the cronjob. If I was to give the real database, it would require someone else to clean it up because the database itself is LaTeX. There's no definitions or anything, it's a giant mess (because of its history). The SQL dump is essentially taking the data and presenting it in a more useful form.

That being said, because not all languages are on the same level (progress-wise). It was decided that languages need to be enabled to be included into the SQL file, which usually happened at request of the dictionary creator (i.e. it was opt-in). We usually approved all languages that had >= 80% of the dictionary translated and kicked those out who weren't fulfilling that requirement anymore.

Needless to say, in the past years (after Taronyu left), nobody really felt responsible anymore, so languages were neither added nor removed. Not that there was much to add, anyway.

It's not hardcoded, it's actually configurable in the database, it's a bool that needs to be flipped in order to include/exclude a language.

There are so many things that I would do absolutely completely different nowadays. This whole project was born under some odd circumstances, which made it "grow" rather than being designed. However, there doesn't seem to be enough interest that would warrant the effort to re-write it properly from scratch.
Eana Eltu: PDF/TSV/jMemorize

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tuiq on March 12, 2015, 12:47:46 PM
The SQL output is not a dump of the real database, it's a text generated by the cronjob. If I was to give the real database, it would require someone else to clean it up because the database itself is LaTeX. There's no definitions or anything, it's a giant mess (because of its history). The SQL dump is essentially taking the data and presenting it in a more useful form.

Oh, okay.

QuoteThat being said, because not all languages are on the same level (progress-wise). It was decided that languages need to be enabled to be included into the SQL file, which usually happened at request of the dictionary creator (i.e. it was opt-in). We usually approved all languages that had >= 80% of the dictionary translated and kicked those out who weren't fulfilling that requirement anymore.
Ahh, that makes sense. I think Polish is > 80% 92%. I've linked the PDF on our website but it's not in the .sql yet. Probably because no one asked to have it there or maybe there was a time where it fell below 80 and went back up, I don't know.

QuoteNeedless to say, in the past years (after Taronyu left), nobody really felt responsible anymore, so languages were neither added nor removed. Not that there was much to add, anyway.
Makes sense

QuoteIt's not hardcoded, it's actually configurable in the database, it's a bool that needs to be flipped in order to include/exclude a language.
O that's much better hrh. Has pl been activated then?

QuoteThere are so many things that I would do absolutely completely different nowadays. This whole project was born under some odd circumstances, which made it "grow" rather than being designed. However, there doesn't seem to be enough interest that would warrant the effort to re-write it properly from scratch.

Totally understandable, and I'd probably agree. What we have still functions and I don't forsee any major issues with it, even if we were to add languages in the future or have some fall off the map (bool -> false).

Thanks for the info, I was just curious about why the Polish dictionary was practically invisible (unless one knew where to look) to anyone but the translator. I was looking to add Polish support to my CLI program, but that requires the SQL file to have Polish enabled first since my progam uses plain-text dumps of the MySQL database (as provided by NaviData.sql)

Tuiq

I've enabled pl, but I'm not sure whether this will now add it to the SQL. I think there might be another switch in the config file, I would have to check (not sure if I still can access that, though). Let's see if it's there tomorrow.

eejmensenikbenhet

While I was working on the Dutch translation today, I came across slosneppe/peslosnep, and what struck me as weird was that slosneppe is categorized as ques. and peslosnep as inter. A little mistake probably, but I thought I'd mention it.

Tuiq

I would post that stuff in the the other thread. This one is rarely used and mostly about the system itself, not the content.

eejmensenikbenhet

Quote from: Tuiq on March 14, 2015, 04:20:07 PM
I would post that stuff in the the other thread. This one is rarely used and mostly about the system itself, not the content.
Makes sense indeed, don't know why I couldn't find that myself. :P
Irayo

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tuiq on March 13, 2015, 02:29:47 PM
I've enabled pl, but I'm not sure whether this will now add it to the SQL. I think there might be another switch in the config file, I would have to check (not sure if I still can access that, though). Let's see if it's there tomorrow.

It worked, PL is now in the SQL. Tsari irayo!