Translation Project: Warriors - Into the Wild by Erin Hunter

Started by Tekre, September 27, 2022, 11:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tekre

So, yeah, Tiretxan and I have been working on a, ììì, small project for a while and now wanna start publishing it step by step! We're trying to translate the entirety of the book Warriors - Into the Wild by Erin Hunter. Currently we are finished with a bit more than a third (we have more than 20k words pure Na'vi text, if anyone wants to know the numbers hrh), so we thought it might be time to show the first chapter.

We are planning to publish a new chapter every one or two months - even though eight chapters are already done, we prefer to keep working in our slow lazy pace, so having a big backlog and very slow publishing of already existing parts helps with that hrh Also, putting them on the website takes an incredible amount of time because of the tool tips I included to help with the reading.

We would recommend this as a reading practice for people who are already at least a bit experienced with Na'vi, as it has some quite complex parts. If you know the book in your native language (or even have a copy at hand to compare!) this will help you a lot to have a basic idea of what is going on. If you are not sure if you should try reading this, just give it a try! We are happy to answer any questions you might have about the weird sentence structures we used from time to time (we wrote some of this more than a year ago, when our Na'vi wasn't that... let's say elegant), and if you find a mistake, please let us know - we are sure, there are tons of them still in there as we are only humans and there are far too many sentences :D

Finally, the link: https://languagechaos.com/Na%27vi/samsiyu/

We hope you have some fun with this, You have about one month to read the prologue before the first chapter will follow :D

Toliman

Tirea Aean

Cool idea :)

However, I am very passionately opposed to the sheer volume of custom self-coined compound words, several of which made me have to think for like 5 minutes to figure out where they came from. I don't know if I can recommend this as a learning material, as it will cause student readers to internalize a mountain of words that are not actually part of the language. It makes more sense perhaps as a leisure piece for more experienced speakers who know what's a real word and what's not, and can potentially reason about these custom compounds. The tooltips are pretty helpful, although even inside many of those is yet another custom compound that one has to search around for a breakdown of, if it has one.

Also, I thought that the original author had explicitly made it a point such that all the cat names were noun phrases made from two complete words just without the space (particularly, an adjective and a noun in the form of "Adjectivenoun"). I'm not sure why all of these were made into compressed custom compounds. It's like taking Fireheart and compressing it to Fart or Bluestar to Blust or something like that. Was it the fear of the names being too long in syllables? I personally don't think that would have been that big of a problem

But yeah, aside from that being my most major point of criticism, the idea of translating this book is pretty great in and of itself; I know there are a lot of people who absolutely love this book series (I only really read this first book myself and thought it was pretty fun and interesting).

Tekre

Thanks for the feedback!

I can post it somewhere else if you don't want it with the learning stuff, it was just the first forum where I found "translation projects" in the description xD I personally think that for people who have already a bit of experience it can be a good practice (You can also call it a leisure piece if you want, but in the end we are all learners, and all reading is practice), but I get your points. We just wanted to avoid having to write the same long constructions over and over again and hoped clearly marking what is not an official word would help.

I've never read any such statement by the author, so I simple didn't knew that they were calling the names noun phrases without a space. For me they were compounds (yes, with two full words, but for example the fact that I always clearly stress them on the first word, which is the rule for English compounds, shows that my brain always interpret them as compounds and not as noun phrases), and I didn't felt that strong about the names being 100% exactly what the book says that I would have invested the energy of always writing a full version. Because of that reason names also are always marked, as there are a lot of cat names and they are sometimes not exactly like in the book, so they don't need to be remembered all.