Tree of Voices (my rosetta stone lookalike/workalike)

Started by JayWalker, February 19, 2010, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsufätu Ayioangä

Quote from: Aykerusey mì Terìran on March 18, 2010, 12:24:21 PM
We;ll, I just ran through the first lesson with 'Kaltxi' 'Kiyevame' and 'Nari' a few times and I have to say I like that it shuffles around the position of the answers but I noticed that 'kaltxi' is loud but the other too are incredibly soft.  Is this just my computer or can it be fixed?

Hey I just wanted to make sure my post was seen through all this other chat about another program (?) I haven't really been reading it so I don't know.  Anywho...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Now, if someone would just write a Linux client that worked......

Irayo!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

omängum fra'uti

For people making lessons, I whipped up a GIMP plug-in which can take a series of images and arrange them into a single image for a lesson.

To you it you'll need GIMP2.0 (Download it for Windows from http://www.gimp.org/windows/).  Just copy the attached file to one of the following two locations:
(Your user directory)\.gimp-2.x\scripts
(Program Files)\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts

Your user directory is something like (On XP - not sure about others) C:\Documents and Settings\(Username), and the .gimp-2.x will be named after the version of gimp you are using.

Once it's there, you can start up GIMP and use the file menu "Open as layers", select all the graphics you want to add.  You can repeat that if necessary to add more layers.  Just order the layers from top to bottom in order of lessons, 3 layers per lesson with the correct image first.  When you're happy with what you have, you'll see a "Script-Fu" menu on the image window.  Under that menu choose "ToV Compose" and it will run for a bit (Depending on how big the lesson is) and open a new window with all the images combined together as necessary.  You can then just save this for use with the lesson.  If it didn't come out correctly, just close the newly opened window and make whatever adjustments you want before doing it again.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Tuteyä amuiä 'itan

Quote from: Aykerusey mì Terìran on March 19, 2010, 11:01:01 PM
Quote from: Aykerusey mì Terìran on March 18, 2010, 12:24:21 PM
We;ll, I just ran through the first lesson with 'Kaltxi' 'Kiyevame' and 'Nari' a few times and I have to say I like that it shuffles around the position of the answers but I noticed that 'kaltxi' is loud but the other too are incredibly soft.  Is this just my computer or can it be fixed?

Hey I just wanted to make sure my post was seen through all this other chat about another program (?) I haven't really been reading it so I don't know.  Anywho...
the different volume of the voices is b/c of the audio clip it was taken from... like "kaltxì" sounds like Frommers voice and the rest r made by the members

omängum fra'uti

I would actually recommend learning with the sound OFF at the moment.  I went through reviewing the lessons and I haven't heard a single one which pronounces all the words correctly.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

JayWalker

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 20, 2010, 03:01:27 AM

Irayo!

It should work under wine just fine.

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 20, 2010, 06:55:15 AM
For people making lessons, I whipped up a GIMP plug-in which can take a series of images and arrange them into a single image for a lesson.

To you it you'll need GIMP2.0 (Download it for Windows from http://www.gimp.org/windows/).  Just copy the attached file to one of the following two locations:
(Your user directory)\.gimp-2.x\scripts
(Program Files)\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts

Your user directory is something like (On XP - not sure about others) C:\Documents and Settings\(Username), and the .gimp-2.x will be named after the version of gimp you are using.

Once it's there, you can start up GIMP and use the file menu "Open as layers", select all the graphics you want to add.  You can repeat that if necessary to add more layers.  Just order the layers from top to bottom in order of lessons, 3 layers per lesson with the correct image first.  When you're happy with what you have, you'll see a "Script-Fu" menu on the image window.  Under that menu choose "ToV Compose" and it will run for a bit (Depending on how big the lesson is) and open a new window with all the images combined together as necessary.  You can then just save this for use with the lesson.  If it didn't come out correctly, just close the newly opened window and make whatever adjustments you want before doing it again.

Very cool, that should help with making images for lessons easier.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: JayWalker on March 20, 2010, 03:53:43 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 20, 2010, 03:01:27 AM

Irayo!

It should work under wine just fine.

I am still having the the problem where I cannot open the lessons. I have tried several different configurations of WINE on two different computers (both running the same dsitribution-- Fedora 10). No luck so far. If I knew how to troubleshoot this further, I would.

Irayo

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Feiane

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 20, 2010, 06:55:15 AMa GIMP plug-in which can take a series of images and arrange them into a single image for a lesson
His script/plug-in thing works great. Saved me a TON of time today! <3

Click >> fìtsenge << to learn about a na'vi nì'aw game I'm hosting in a week or two. Please join!

JayWalker

News Update

I'm proud to announce that after weeks of tedious coding and testing and other various annoying bits of work, Tree of Voices version 0.4 will (should, provided I don't run into any unexpected snags in the next few days) be released on April 13th. Some of the useful new features being introduced into version 0.4 include:

- Built in lesson downloader and automatic updater
- Multiple language settings for the program text
- Stat keeping to help you keep track of your progress
- Multiple new lesson options/variables that allow for more customization of lessons and their content
- Quite a few bug fixes
- Lots of new settings including options for manually advancing slides, hiding question text so you must only rely on audio, easier customization of correct/wrong sounds and much more.

I hope you will all enjoy the new version and appreciate all the work that has been put into it. Thank you for helping me to continue to develop and improve this tool for the Learn Na'vi community.

Tuteyä amuiä 'itan

sweardsman

...thats amazing *sits and wait for April 13th* ;D

JayWalker

Update! Version 0.4 Is Released!

So, as I mentioned previously, Tree of Voices version 0.4 would be released on the 13th (today), and it has been done. The website is updated and you can all go download it now. (click pic in my sig or visit http://treeofvoices.dyndns.org). Once again, just a little note of some of the new featuers in 0.4:

- Multiple language settings for the program text
- Stat keeping to help you keep track of your progress
- Multiple new lesson options/variables that allow for more customization of lessons and their content
- Quite a few bug fixes additions.
- Lots of new settings including options for manually advancing slides, hiding question text so you must only rely on audio, easier customization of correct/wrong sounds and much more.

Since there's a lot of new things going on with Tree of Voices, please let me know ASAP if you have any problems with the new features/installer/program/bugs/etc. Also, as always, any comments on how to improve Tree of Voices are greatly appreciated.

Tuteyä amuiä 'itan

Yessssss.... and it figures I won't be home for a while to download it :(

JayWalker

Small Update-

There were a few small bugs discovered immediately after release, and have since been fixed. An update has been made available. Whenever you run Tree of Voices 0.4 after installing from the website, there will be an update available for download as soon as you go to the lesson downloader.

edit: installer has now been added to the download page.

Taw Atan

perhaps may I suggest an idea?

Is there a word for like Incorrect and Correct or something like the two? So when we get it right or wrong it will say that instead of that chime

JayWalker

you could, i can certainly include that in another update soon. But does the green circle or red X not work just as well?

EDIT: To anyone still having problems with the updater, the installer on the downloads page is now updated to the current version.

Na'vi Kxanìa Taronyu

For the lesson downloader, I was wondering if that in future versions you could implement a Download All button.  That way if we want all the lessons, we don't have to click every single one.
I am a Video Producer, Webpage Designer, Na'Vi enthusiast, BMW fanatic, and a Mac OS X Server Certified Server Administrator.

I am The People's Forbidden Hunter
Oel ngati kameie!

I don't know where to turn, as my future is clouded.  The future is a haze, as my path is unclear.  Will my loyalty stick with my Terran race, or will it stick with the Na'vi?

Tuteyä amuiä 'itan

Quote from: Na'vi Kxanìa Taronyu on April 18, 2010, 10:22:01 PM
For the lesson downloader, I was wondering if that in future versions you could implement a Download All button.  That way if we want all the lessons, we don't have to click every single one.

i believe this is already in the works

Eyamsiyu

For some reason I can't get the Lesson Maker to work.

Specs: I'm running Windows 7.  I have the program in the original ToV File under C\Program Files\Tree of Voices and all the possible and the steps on the website to get all the programs to run on Windows 7.  Any idea on how to fix it?

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Ilisaqpuq on April 20, 2010, 05:46:40 PM
(I'm the developer) Make sure to put it in the same directory as the main executable. If you've already done that-what error is is it producing?

Here's the problem details:
Problem Event Name:   CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:   treeofvoiceseditor.exe
  Problem Signature 02:   1.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 03:   4ba52a9b
  Problem Signature 04:   mscorlib
  Problem Signature 05:   2.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 06:   4a275af7
  Problem Signature 07:   344b
  Problem Signature 08:   d8
  Problem Signature 09:   System.IO.FileNotFoundException
  OS Version:   6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   1033

I'm guessing it has something to do with Signature 09 hence "FileNotFoundException."  Other than that, I'm clueless.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch