Tree of Voices (my rosetta stone lookalike/workalike)

Started by JayWalker, February 19, 2010, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mithcoriel

There, I made sort of a small weak attempt at a lesson.
Here's an idea: why not make it optional, wether there's a soundfile to go with it or not? Tell the program to play the soundfiles IF they exist, and to not crash if they don't. (Not least cause that way we can start making lessons without always having to wait till we have soundfiles for em)

An alternative way around that would be to put some empty sound files in the folder, but that uses up space.

By the way, what language did you program this in?

Oh yeah, a little question from a coding point of view: Isn't the line "Slides=...", which tells you how many slides there are, a bit redundant? Couldn't the program figure that out by counting the number of lines in the file? (Total number of lines) - (Number of lines before the first "Question" line) divided by four gives you the number of slides. Or look at the number before the "C" in the last line.

And another thing: I put my incomplete lesson, the one lacking soundfiles, into the "Lessons" folder, and now the program doesn't work anymore. (I get "Runtime Error '53', file not found" when I want to load the lessons). Maybe you should catch that error, make it so that, if a lesson that was added is somehow faulty (files missing, wrong number of lines in lsn-file, wrong number of pixels in image, no lsn-file...), the program ignores it as a potential lesson and simply doesn't list it, instead of crashing altogether.
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

JayWalker

Quote from: Mithcoriel on February 20, 2010, 06:40:12 AM
There, I made sort of a small weak attempt at a lesson.
Here's an idea: why not make it optional, wether there's a soundfile to go with it or not? Tell the program to play the soundfiles IF they exist, and to not crash if they don't. (Not least cause that way we can start making lessons without always having to wait till we have soundfiles for em)

An alternative way around that would be to put some empty sound files in the folder, but that uses up space.

By the way, what language did you program this in?

Oh yeah, a little question from a coding point of view: Isn't the line "Slides=...", which tells you how many slides there are, a bit redundant? Couldn't the program figure that out by counting the number of lines in the file? (Total number of lines) - (Number of lines before the first "Question" line) divided by four gives you the number of slides. Or look at the number before the "C" in the last line.

And another thing: I put my incomplete lesson, the one lacking soundfiles, into the "Lessons" folder, and now the program doesn't work anymore. (I get "Runtime Error '53', file not found" when I want to load the lessons). Maybe you should catch that error, make it so that, if a lesson that was added is somehow faulty (files missing, wrong number of lines in lsn-file, wrong number of pixels in image, no lsn-file...), the program ignores it as a potential lesson and simply doesn't list it, instead of crashing altogether.

1. The program crashes for you when sound files arent included? Never crashed for me because of that, what system are you on? The lessons do not need audio files, but I can certainly code around so that it wont "try" to play an audio file that doesnt exist.

2. It is written in Visual Basic 6

3. One might say it is redundant, but it reduces the chance for errors in counting lines (if a lesson creator and the program dont agree on how a lesson "should" be layed out, like the lesson maker adding extra spaces/line feeds, accidentally duplicating lines, etc.). Not only that, but the program doesnt have to count the lines which = faster startup (not that it's really an issue).

4. The program crashed because you did not name your lesson file "Lesson.lsn". it MUST be called "Lesson.lsn" to function and be in a folder like so:  "Lessons\nameofyourlessonfolder\Lesson.lsn". I will certainly add in error protection so that erroneous lessons wont crash the program in the future.

Keep in mind this has only been in development for about 2 days, so I've still got lots of work to do to make it "perfect". Your suggestions are appreciated :)

Ayzìsìt Alenantang

Great progam!
Make more lessons, please, it's really good!
"Tìfnu! Oel ngati tspang!"
"Silance! I kill you!"
~Achmed, the dead terrorist.

Mithcoriel

Quote4. The program crashed because you did not name your lesson file "Lesson.lsn". it MUST be called "Lesson.lsn" to function and be in a folder like so:  "Lessons\nameofyourlessonfolder\Lesson.lsn". I will certainly add in error protection so that erroneous lessons wont crash the program in the future

I know you need to name your file that, and I did. The "lack of a lsn-file" I was referring to was cause I had another folder in it where I was only beginning to collect ideas for a lesson, into which I hadn't put a lesson file yet. I assumed the program would just ignore this folder.

Hm, weird. I just did a test where I removed one sound file, and the program still worked fine, it just didn't play said sound.
Well I did a few random error tests. It's actually quite resistant, doesn't crash when I remove important stuff. But if I rename or remove the lsn-file, it crashes. And like I said, that's kind of a pity cause if one lesson is messed up, it could still show all the others. But anyway, great program!
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

'Awve Tìkameie

Quote from: JayWalker on February 20, 2010, 01:44:51 AM
Alright, I'm happy to announce that a fix (or rather a workaround) has been found to remedy the issues plaguing Windows Vista and Windows 7 users. Visit the "Downloads" page on the website. You will see a comment below the download links, pointing to a page with directions for the fix.

http://treeofvoices.dyndns.org  or  www.treeofvoices.has.it  (both point to the same site, try the other if one doesnt work).

It works. Irayo! It is great. I already learned a few new things. Please add more! +1 Karma
My uncle's dog came over a little less than one week ago. I stupidly left the computer plug on the floor. That night, his dog chewed it up. So, the next morning, I go looking for the plug and I find a chewed up piece of metal. I sadly cannot purchase a new plug right now, and my computer's battery is out. I'm at my public library.

Also, I discovered this promising "small business" film company called Mirror Entertainment. It looks really promising: http://www.mirrorente

Swizaw Nguway

Thanks for this mate, spoke to you on ts about this, its very helpful, when there are more lessons it will be even better. + karma.

Eyamsiyu

unfortunately I'm running a Mac... so, I'm out of luck for now.  :'(

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

JayWalker

Just released a new version, version 0.3.

You can grab the new version on the website: http://treeofvoices.dyndns.org  

There have been quite a few changes/additions/bug fixes (view the changelog.txt for more details on these) and I hope you will enjoy it! There are also now 2 lessons posted on the website in the downloads section, and I know several people (myself included) that are working on more, so stay tuned!

Tskxe Taronyu

I think i found something similar to this, or at least it helps in learning the language. I heard someone else mention this site on the forums, although I forget their screen name. The site is: http://irongamer.net/navi/#app=141c&386b-selectedIndex=0

I think it uses flash and has voice recordings, pictures, and tests to help you memorize each Na'vi word.

<---Click me please!

JayWalker

Quote from: Unila 'Evi on February 22, 2010, 12:57:18 AM
I think i found something similar to this, or at least it helps in learning the language. I heard someone else mention this site on the forums, although I forget their screen name. The site is: http://irongamer.net/navi/#app=141c&386b-selectedIndex=0

I think it uses flash and has voice recordings, pictures, and tests to help you memorize each Na'vi word.

I actually just saw the Image-Association bit on there that is very similar to this. It doesnt appear that he's been adding much (if anything) to that section though, so that part is rather limited IMO (not that I'm trying to diss it or anything, the rest of the site is really handy). I'm hoping to have LOTS of content available for this program in the near future.

Tskxe Taronyu

Quote from: JayWalker on February 22, 2010, 01:06:34 AM
Quote from: Unila 'Evi on February 22, 2010, 12:57:18 AM

I actually just saw the Image-Association bit on there that is very similar to this. It doesnt appear that he's been adding much (if anything) to that section though, so that part is rather limited IMO (not that I'm trying to diss it or anything, the rest of the site is really handy). I'm hoping to have LOTS of content available for this program in the near future.

Ok, thanks for telling me. Just trying to help. I'm definitely going to download this and use it a lot in the future.

<---Click me please!

ExLibrisMortis

FYI another lesson is up regarding Body parts vocab.

And I'm working on a few more.

Eywa Ngahu!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Any chance a Linux version will be forthcoming? Not much of a programmer, but will help with this if that helps.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 22, 2010, 09:18:23 PM
Any chance a Linux version will be forthcoming? Not much of a programmer, but will help with this if that helps.

And a Mac version?

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

JayWalker

Quote from: Autakuk'Ekong on February 22, 2010, 09:45:10 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 22, 2010, 09:18:23 PM

And a Mac version?

I only know Visual Basic 6, which is a Windows only language. If someone else wants to write a linux/mac interpretation, they are more than welcome to. I do know however that several people have run this program on linux (via wine) and mac (via wine or some other program). But other than that, right now it's windows only.

Eyamsiyu

I tried installing wine once: it failed.  I'll probably just pay the university I'm at the $14 to put Windows on my Mac.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I have a working WINE installation. I will have to give it a try.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Eliana

Hi,
Can anyone help me?
I've downloaded the program, and I wanted to download lessons, but somehow I can't manage to get the downloaded lessons into the program. How do I do that?

Terìran Tawka

Quote from: Eliana on February 24, 2010, 06:19:35 AM
Hi,
Can anyone help me?
I've downloaded the program, and I wanted to download lessons, but somehow I can't manage to get the downloaded lessons into the program. How do I do that?
Well, I just put them into different folders within Tree Of Voices directory, and everything works fine.

There is a small mistake in 'body vocab' lesson - faheu/fahew is 'smell', not 'smile'.

Btw, great work! ;)
You are not on Pandora anymore. You are on Earth, ladies and gentlemen.
pamrel si nìna'vi ro [email protected] :)

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: Terìran Tawka on February 24, 2010, 11:09:01 AM
Quote from: Eliana on February 24, 2010, 06:19:35 AM
Hi,
Can anyone help me?
Well, I just put them into different folders within Tree Of Voices directory, and everything works fine.

There is a small mistake in 'body vocab' lesson - faheu/fahew is 'smell', not 'smile'.

Btw, great work! ;)

Intersting, as the dictionary I have says that Faheu is smile... I guess we can change that. Thanks for the look out.