Tree of Voices (my rosetta stone lookalike/workalike)

Started by JayWalker, February 19, 2010, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayWalker

The Tree of Voices software is intended to be an aid in the learning of languages, or other things that can be learned by text-to-image or text-to-text association. Obviously intended for the Na'vi language community, but perfectly capable of being used for other languages. Tree of Voices works by displaying a single word and playing an audio clip of the word pronunciation. Then it allows the user to select the associated image or text from 3 boxes below. While this concept is not new, Tree of Voices allows users to create and add modular lessons in a very simple way, further increasing its useability for nearly any number of topics. To download Tree of Voices or any of the modular lessons available, please visit the Downloads page on the website:

http://treeofvoices.dyndns.org

Kxanìa Na'rìng

Wonderful program.. I hope there will be many lesson files created for it.

+Karma
"Why look who it is... YOU!... How'bout that." Lord Sheogorath

ExLibrisMortis

Mithcoriel

Nice job. This looks promising.

Nice idea using black and white images. Those look easy to make. So we can just copy from an existing picture, and it wouldn't violate any copyright. Where are you getting them from? I assume you could still use people who make new images for you?
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

JayWalker

Quote from: Mithcoriel on February 19, 2010, 05:28:16 PM
Nice job. This looks promising.

Nice idea using black and white images. Those look easy to make. So we can just copy from an existing picture, and it wouldn't violate any copyright. Where are you getting them from? I assume you could still use people who make new images for you?

Any color image can be used (and I recommend it for images (such as photos) with a more real-life meaning, such as "eat" or "night" etc.). Slimz got the images for the example lesson from http://www.clker.com/ . Less than creating images, I need people to create complete lessons. You can get the images from wherever you like. I dont think we will need to worry about (many) copyright issues since I'm not selling the software. If needed however you can simply cite where a picture came from on the image.

'Awve Tìkameie

First, well done! +1 Karma

Second: I'm getting this error code. I've download it. I've extracted the files. Then when I go to install, I get the message below. Can you please help me? Irayo
My uncle's dog came over a little less than one week ago. I stupidly left the computer plug on the floor. That night, his dog chewed it up. So, the next morning, I go looking for the plug and I find a chewed up piece of metal. I sadly cannot purchase a new plug right now, and my computer's battery is out. I'm at my public library.

Also, I discovered this promising "small business" film company called Mirror Entertainment. It looks really promising: http://www.mirrorente

Slimz

I made all the Images in the current projects (the numbers and the example lesson) and i used clipart in PNG format from here

http://www.clker.com/

If you need help creating content, please PM me of get me on the teamspeak channel

i created the numbers 1-8 from scratch so i have a great idea of how it all works.

Slimz

try installing the VB6 runtime files (available on the website in the download area)

If that does not work, then you may need to wait until an installer is created to resolve this issue (which JayWalker is painfully aware of)

Mithcoriel

Another question: We have to provide audio files for every lesson, right? We can't do any without?
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

JayWalker

Quote from: Hawnu-yu Eywa-yä on February 19, 2010, 05:46:10 PM
First, well done! +1 Karma

Second: I'm getting this error code. I've download it. I've extracted the files. Then when I go to install, I get the message below. Can you please help me? Irayo

Run the "OCX register.bat" included with the program.

Quote from: Mithcoriel on February 19, 2010, 05:49:02 PM
Another question: We have to provide audio files for every lesson, right? We can't do any without?

No, you do not HAVE to include audio files. It is completely optional.

Slimz

As a matter of fact, someone else could make the audio files later for you (like me or jay)

'Awve Tìkameie

Quote from: Slimz on February 19, 2010, 05:48:42 PM
try installing the VB6 runtime files (available on the website in the download area)

If that does not work, then you may need to wait until an installer is created to resolve this issue (which JayWalker is painfully aware of)

It didn't work  :'(. Thank you for trying to help, though. I guess I'll wait
My uncle's dog came over a little less than one week ago. I stupidly left the computer plug on the floor. That night, his dog chewed it up. So, the next morning, I go looking for the plug and I find a chewed up piece of metal. I sadly cannot purchase a new plug right now, and my computer's battery is out. I'm at my public library.

Also, I discovered this promising "small business" film company called Mirror Entertainment. It looks really promising: http://www.mirrorente

JayWalker

Quote from: Hawnu-yu Eywa-yä on February 19, 2010, 05:54:50 PM

I take it youre on Windows 7? If so, you aren't alone. Have yet to figure out why the ocx doesnt register and triggers errors on Windows 7. We've had far less problems on XP and Vista. But yea... hopefully we'll figure out a fix soon.

'Awve Tìkameie

Quote from: JayWalker on February 19, 2010, 05:59:29 PM

I'm actually on Vista  ???

I take it youre on Windows 7? If so, you aren't alone. Have yet to figure out why the ocx doesnt register and triggers errors on Windows 7. We've had far less problems on XP and Vista. But yea... hopefully we'll figure out a fix soon.

Slimz

mrnapolean1

Quote from: Hawnu-yu Eywa-yä on February 19, 2010, 06:03:24 PM

well it doesnt look like i can use it. i am on Windows7 Ultimate

(Clicking on the Sig Picture will take you to Neobux)

JayWalker

Quote from: mrnapolean1 on February 19, 2010, 07:56:41 PM

I'm working on a fix. Just keep an eye on this thread, I'll let everyone know when there's been any significant update or a possible fix to someones problem.

mrnapolean1

Quote from: JayWalker on February 19, 2010, 08:08:52 PM
Quote from: mrnapolean1 on February 19, 2010, 07:56:41 PM

It didn't work  :'(. Thank you for trying to help, though. I guess I'll wait

I'm actually on Vista  ???

I'm working on a fix. Just keep an eye on this thread, I'll let everyone know when there's been any significant update or a possible fix to someones problem.

OK ill keep my eye on it. 8)

UPDATE: It turned out to be that stupid UAC crap 8)

(Clicking on the Sig Picture will take you to Neobux)

JayWalker

It didn't work  :'(. Thank you for trying to help, though. I guess I'll wait

I'm actually on Vista  ???

Have you tried running the "OCX register.bat" as administrator?

An alternative, I just created an installer for the application, which should (maybe?) fix these issues. You can download it on the website. Let me know if this works for any of the problems some of you have been having (it probably wont, we're doing some heavy testing on peoples computers in the teamspeak server, and the installer doesn't appear to fix much. If you're having problems and would like to help us test, come into the teamspeak server and look for Slimz or JayWalker as we're still working on a 100% working fix).

JayWalker

Alright, I'm happy to announce that a fix (or rather a workaround) has been found to remedy the issues plaguing Windows Vista and Windows 7 users. Visit the "Downloads" page on the website. You will see a comment below the download links, pointing to a page with directions for the fix.

http://treeofvoices.dyndns.org