A Hellenic Conlang

Started by ShadowedSin, July 27, 2010, 05:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowedSin

I have only the barest work done, but the phonology is complete. The language is called Amazo and is related to the language I created for a tribe of people who call themselves the Patīnāɲūrītaha. The name itself is based on a pseudo-language I developed called Amazo-Persian. And it's the basis of the linguistic morphing and changes I'll be doing to ancient Greek to construct the new language.

I have one question, any greek speakers who might be interested in providing feedback for this are more than welcome to chime in :)
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.

Taronyu

I took greek for a while. I could look at it. No promises as to how much knowledge I have of greek, though.

Besides me, I think only Annis on here knows greek.

ShadowedSin

I have bare notes right now.

And I have one word which is pretty much Than.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

Taronyu

Nice...

I think it's about time I started to make one.

ShadowedSin

One word I have is Xinpardɲalis which means Snow leopard. I used a ancient greek dictionary and introduce the sound changes. With created this weird word which sounds like. Heen Par-nyal-lees. So basically it's Greek with a Indo-Aryan influence in it.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

Taronyu

Any language with only the words "than" and "snow leopard" is bound to be awesome.

wm.annis

Quote from: Taronyu on July 29, 2010, 11:14:27 PMI think it's about time I started to make one.

We're going to convert everyone here to novice conlangers before too long.

ShadowedSin

The thing I can tell you is that some of the marks used in modern greek do not exist in Amazo. I'll probably only institute a few markers referencing the rhythm of the pronunciation. Also the dative is assumed in the agent if they exist in the pluperfect completely rather than solely the pluperfect passive.

If anyone is wondering, this is a language for modern day Amazons :)
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

ShadowedSin

So I'm mulling over tenses right now. I'm really tempted to add a tense that corresponds with vocative case when talking about totemic spirits. As a way to state that the Totems of the Amazo exist out of normal time and space. This means that formally discussing the Totems and Artemis is done via the vocative case.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

wm.annis

Quote from: ShadowedSin on August 01, 2010, 05:05:26 PM
So I'm mulling over tenses right now. I'm really tempted to add a tense that corresponds with vocative case when talking about totemic spirits. As a way to state that the Totems of the Amazo exist out of normal time and space. This means that formally discussing the Totems and Artemis is done via the vocative case.

Ancient Greek used the aorist (basically, the perfective) to indicate timeless truths that way.  In Homer, such statements were propped up by a funny use of the word τε, which is sort of like Na'vi , except always enclitic, though not written as part of the word it is enclitic on.

ShadowedSin

Quote from: wm.annis on August 01, 2010, 05:54:22 PM
Quote from: ShadowedSin on August 01, 2010, 05:05:26 PM

Ancient Greek used the aorist (basically, the perfective) to indicate timeless truths that way.  In Homer, such statements were propped up by a funny use of the word τε, which is sort of like Na'vi , except always enclitic, though not written as part of the word it is enclitic on.

I'm using a Ancient Greek Grammar book and then constructing the language changes as I go. I'm not EVEN on Aorist yet @@ The phonology took a week alone to figure out. Though the aorist does sound very promising, I'm looking at that instead as a statement of timeless truths, it is a statement of the gods being timeless in themselves. The Amazo (aka Amazons to be obvious) do believe their Totems can be at fault, and that like a human a spirit learns from it's mistakes.

I might need to get a list of emails or something before I take this project to discuss it with the local Classical Greek teacher at my Uni.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

ShadowedSin

Amazo is based on several languages that I use for direct influence. Mostly to show how it evolved as an Indo-Aryan tongue into a Hellenic dialect later on. Right now I've introduced a set of latin influenced cases including the Ablative (including instrumental forms) and the locative.

I should have a sample up by the end of the month.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

Ftiafpi

Quote from: wm.annis on July 30, 2010, 09:49:29 AM
Quote from: Taronyu on July 29, 2010, 11:14:27 PMI think it's about time I started to make one.

We're going to convert everyone here to novice conlangers before too long.

I'm starting work on one and hope to make 4 (only the basics though) for a book I've begun writing.

So, yes, you are going to turn us all into novice conlangers.

ShadowedSin

Just wanted to say that I posted the info on cases today!

Amazo Cases
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

ShadowedSin

The Declension systems for noun stems are hopefully going to be done soon. Then it's on to adjectives, Adverbs and pronouns. I have a huge list of sound changes so I will have an easily created vocabulary soon ;) Sorry for the double post though I would make an update since it's been a while.

Anyone wanna comment on my introduction of an Ablative case in an a Hellenic language?

Also cultural update new Clans, the StormCrow and LongTalon Clans have joined the Nation.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

Taronyu

Quote from: ShadowedSin on August 07, 2010, 10:14:29 PM
Anyone wanna comment on my introduction of an Ablative case in an a Hellenic language?

Just make sure you clarify how it happened. I believe that Latin got it's Ablative from other Italic languages. However, it's not anathema for PIE languages to adopt cases: look at Latvian and Tocharian, which added three, I believe, to the PIE case system.

ShadowedSin

Quote from: Taronyu on August 07, 2010, 10:16:20 PM
Quote from: ShadowedSin on August 07, 2010, 10:14:29 PM

Just make sure you clarify how it happened. I believe that Latin got it's Ablative from other Italic languages. However, it's not anathema for PIE languages to adopt cases: look at Latvian and Tocharian, which added three, I believe, to the PIE case system.

Well both the Locative and Ablative were carried over from the Persian/Scythian roots of Amazo. And then under the Roman occupation there was a slight Romanization of the grammar.

Pulled this from my blog:
QuoteThe two Irregular Cases are layovers from Persian past of Aɲazo. The usage of Ablative was heavily changed with the Roman invasion of Themiscyra and the loss of Amazon unity. The one thing that kept the usage alive of the two cases was in fact the solidarity bred between the Clans as they were spread throughout the Empire. One reason why in fact that Aɲazo was revived was because of the identity the Amazons kept after so long. That even with the fall of their cities, that they still had the spirit of Artemis with them.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

ShadowedSin

So I've decided after conferring with a friend who speaks ancient greek about a tense system.

The basics of it is that I'm looking at using Proclitics to denote tense, and enclitics to denote modal concepts. I'm looking into possibly even combining a few things such as aorist with the new tense particles. Another inclusion is that with a simplified system of tense I can advance and give the Amazo a more varied tense system that befits their animist beliefs.

I hope to have clause structure finish before christmas. Most likely because I wish to present songs and poems in Amazo in the manuscript I am currently writing :)

\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

Taronyu

Keep us updated. Sounds cool. :)

ShadowedSin

Aspect exists as prefix that attaches to the tense setting.

This means that tenses can exist in either, the Perfect, the Imperfect or Aorist Aspects.

The tenses are going to be roughly: Timeless (used to describe dreams and the gods), Past, Present, Future...

More to come, so far I'm looking at a total list of six or more moods. Yes Amazo has a chunk of moods, not as much as nenets though :) There is an interrogative mood which will remove the necessity for inversion usages such as in english with OVI or SVI. I'm still wondering about clause structure @@
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child