Adipostions

Started by ShadowedSin, February 02, 2011, 01:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowedSin

So in Amazo I've considered where to put adipositions. So far I've kind of decided on postpositions meaning that the complement of the noun proceeds after instead of before like in English. So instead of "Throught the world" the terminology becomes "the world throughout". Since I have modifiers coming before the noun plus a fairly extensive seven case system including a locative and ablative case I don't have specific postpositions word meaning. Rather I will have general adipositions who change meaning depending upon what case, primary verb, aspect and other sentence units are added in.

I'm using Persian and Classical Greek for my inspiration on the words themselves :)

Any thoughts?
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.

wm.annis

Well, you're fighting with your models a bit, which both lean toward be prepositional.  Ancient Greek has a few prepositions that may be used postpositionally, but they're not often so used.

Does Amazo have a dominant word order?  Postpositions are more likely in SOV languages.

ShadowedSin

General sentence construction is

Object-case ending > Aspect prefix-tense clitic > Verb-voice marker > Modal Mark > Object-case ending

So for example:

Euon deɲi zentili dein tæn Nautosn.

I am painting the ship.

Adjectives precede and generally assume the same case as the noun they are modifying, the adverb appears before the aspect tense clitics. Note thought Amazo is based on several languages it is a separate family of languages now since it has two branch dialects from northern europe and Asia.
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.