'Conlang' now an official English word!

Started by `Eylan Ayfalulukanä, June 14, 2014, 04:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Today is a big day for conlangers to celebrate! The word 'conlang' has been added to the Oxford English Dictionary, the definitive dictionary of the English language. Even better, in the blog entry announcing the new word, the Dothraki language gets a shout-out! (Unfortunately, Naʼvi did not, but this is still a good thing!)

http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/june-2014-update/new-words-notes-june-2014/

And here is the actual entry (you have to be subscribed to the OED to read the full entry):

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/405263

Thanks goes to David Peterson, who brought this to my attention through a post to the Language Creation Society list.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

I saw this posted by Prrton on a Facebook Group for Conlangs the other day. Pretty awesome! Sad that Na'vi didn't get a shout-out, but I guess I can see why. Now that I'm up to current episode of Game of Thrones. ;)

Yay for Conlangs! Now, more people will know what one is.

Still baffled about the Godself thing though. Strange. Owell.

Tìtstewan

Txantsan! :D

Hmm, now I think about how one would say that in German?
konstruierte Sprache - "Konsprache" ??? ;D

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on June 14, 2014, 07:55:53 AM
Txantsan! :D

Hmm, now I think about how one would say that in German?
konstruierte Sprache - "Konsprache" ??? ;D

Macht Sinn ;D

Mesireatu

Kaltxì ma frapo!
Oel kameie ayngati! Excuse me, but this is old news. I'm a member of the conlang group on Facebook and they told us this quite a long time ago.. Kìyevame ulte ayngahu
Varför minns jag alla dåliga vitsar, men glömmer alla infix i Na'vi?? ???
Why do I remember all bad jokes, but forget all the infixes in Na'vi?? :-[

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!
Nga yawne lu oer, Sara L!!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Il Sogno Viandante on June 17, 2014, 01:55:09 AM
Kaltxì ma frapo!
Oel kameie ayngati! Excuse me, but this is old news. I'm a member of the conlang group on Facebook and they told us this quite a long time ago.. Kìyevame ulte ayngahu

How can it be that it was told quite a long time ago, if it's just now in June 2014 that Webster has officially added conlang to the Dictionary?

Mesireatu

Sorry, but I was informed of this earlier this year, on the Conlang group on Facebook.

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!

Tirea Aean

Tìtstewan

The point of this therad is about this word which has been added officially to the Oxford dictionary which was on June, not about that this was mentioned somewhere earlier...
And this:
Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 18, 2014, 06:20:42 AM
Not everyone here is in that group.

Edit: on topic...
And because it is common to "take over" english words in Germany, we will probably see this word also in use as it is...

Edit 2:
Oh, I see we have a word called "Plansprache", but...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Tirea Aean

Plansprache. Interesting. An emphasis on the fact it is planned and deliberate, instead of the fact that it was constructed/fabricated/invented. :)

Mesireatu

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 18, 2014, 06:35:34 AM
Plansprache. Interesting. An emphasis on the fact it is planned and deliberate, instead of the fact that it was constructed/fabricated/invented. :)
That word doesn't means contructed language as generel definition. In the German wikipedia it is a part of contructed language (conlang), but it has its own wiki page too.
Per definition of this word, Na'vi, Dothraki, Klingon, Esparanto etc. are "planned" languages.
Plansprache, but in German wiki

Quote from: Il Sogno Viandante on June 18, 2014, 06:41:37 AM
http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/june-2014-update/new-words-notes-june-2014/

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/405263
QuoteThis is a new entry (OED Third Edition, June 2014).
"Attested slightly earlier as the name of an email mailing list for enthusiasts of constructed languages, established in July 1991"
...but added in the dictionary on June, and exsactly this topic talks about.

New words list June 2014

OK, re-posted because of many many edits...