Conlanging

Started by Tompawll, June 11, 2012, 12:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tompawll

Anyone else here inspired to write their own conlang because of Na'vi and other constructed languages?

I am currently working on one for a book, so I've been putting my Na'vi on the backburner for now so I don't get confused and start using Na'vi when I want to use my conlang or start using my conlang when I want to use Na'vi. (And my Na'vi is bad.  :-[)

Irtaviš Ačankif

You can use a clever substitution on Na'vi make it sound less like Na'vi:

a <-> e
ä <-> o
u <->ll
ìr <-> rr
k, p, t <-> p, t, q
kx, px, tx -> d, b, g
l <-> r
w <-> y
ng <-> n
h <-> d

and you can "translate" Oel ngati kameie into Äar neqi pemaia  ;D
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Tompawll

No, I meant that I was creating it to be a unique language (grammar, vocab, pronunciation, idioms, etc.), and that the Na'vi language and Avatar inspired me to go the extra mile for the book, but I didn't want to mix up Na'vi and the conlang. XD

Plumps

Quote from: Tompawll on June 11, 2012, 12:48:54 PM
Anyone else here inspired to write their own conlang because of Na'vi and other constructed languages?

Not exactly inspired by it because I had a few attempts at conlangs before Avatarhere's a little albeit poor taste of something I tried a few years ago, unfortunately in German ...

I think wm.annis could give you a few examples as well ;)

wm.annis

Quote from: Tompawll on June 11, 2012, 12:48:54 PMAnyone else here inspired to write their own conlang because of Na'vi and other constructed languages?

Well, I've been creating languages since I was fairly young.  I had been out of the habit for years when Avatar came out, which got me back into it.