Did Na'vi enable you to study/learn another language?

Started by Mech, June 28, 2016, 12:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mech

Discovering the community here, I was happy to notice that Na'vi has been an opportunity for many of us to learn more about linguistics and discover more about other languages :)

So, did the experience of learning Na'vi open your appetite for learning another language for your pleasure? Perhaps one which you've heard Na'vi was based on?

Plumps

Interesting question, ma Mech :)

I've always been interested in other languages ... so, I'd say "no" to your question whether I started to learn another language due to direct consequences because of my involvement with Na'vi. But it made me think about other languages I already started to learn, i.e. Irish and Swedish and asked myself why it was apparently so much easier to learn Na'vi in a relatively short period of time while I—in the case of Irish—spent years trying to learn it and still not be able to grasp a simple conversation.

So the change has been directed inward, whether for the better only time will tell ;)

Hahaw[hhvhhvcz]

Quote from: Mech on June 28, 2016, 12:46:55 PM
Discovering the community here, I was happy to notice that Na'vi has been an opportunity for many of us to learn more about linguistics and discover more about other languages :)
As for myself, in a school, I've learnt quite a lot linguistic term and other releated things thanks to complexity of my native language.
My native language is Czech and that is Slavic language and if you are a bit interested in languages, you know that Slavic languages are quite a lot complex. As for Czech, we have seven cases, for example and quite complex verbing. In addition, we have quite free syntax. Guess what, all these things have their own names. So I've learnt Latin names for each case because of teacher i had.

Quote from: Mech on June 28, 2016, 12:46:55 PM
So, did the experience of learning Na'vi open your appetite for learning another language for your pleasure? Perhaps one which you've heard Na'vi was based on?
I can gladly said yes. Before discovering learnNa'vi community, I wasn't able to talk nor write in English. Everything have changed when i came here. I've got into the Na'vi language thanks to great introduction by Tanri and because most of the forum is in English,it was only matter of time when i try to write in English. Now, i can write at quite decent level * and I try to speak English whenever is possible, however, it always takes about hour to make myself confident enough in the language. I have also discovered few good apps like Memrise which helped me a lot with learning German at school but biggest help is just listening to German speakers on Learngruppe every week which I've done for more than year.

Na'vi language has shown me that languages are not boring and can be quite interesting and also that it is not *that* hard to actually start learning one and make some progress. It is always about our minds.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1551 ($396 with sales) (updated 17.3.16)
  • Games owned: 97
  • Games not played: 34 (35%)
  • Hours on record: 1,825.3h

Tìtstewan

Pretty much that what Hahaw wrote.
Before I have found this place, my ability to write or speak english was really bad and I am still not always good in English. Besides, my native language is Romanian (Romance language) and German (Germanic language), so I am a bilingual guy :D.
Learning Na'vi has encouraged me to learn more about English and more how languages work. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

It opened a whole new can of worms for me to look at Language/Linguistics itself and learn a little about a lot of languages. Great fun! :D