Gallifreyan (Time Lord languages)

Started by Txur’Itan, January 27, 2013, 03:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txur’Itan

There are only fragments, but Gallifreyan is looking interesting visually. Do not know how solid the translations are, but some material comes from its representation in the Dr. Who show.

http://gallifreyandictionary.wikia.com

私は太った男だ。

Tìtstewan

Interesting, the 'letters' reminds me the letters of the Borg from Star Trek. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Clarke

From briefly skimming the wiki, it sounds like the language is built of pictograms. Good luck.  ;D

Stranger Come Knocking

http://creatinggallifreyan.tumblr.com/

http://tgcp.ucoz.com/

I'm such a nerd.  Actually, we all are.  Looks somewhat like the panels in the new Tardis, but since no Gallifreyan canon has been officially released (actually, only about 3 or 4 pictograms have been "officialized") we did it ourselves.

If you do a search, you'll find (probably most popular) Sherman's Gallifreyan, which is more transliteration rather than translation.  My personal favorite is Szegedy's Prydonian, now sadly neglected.

Standard Circular Gallifreyan:

Doctor's Cot Gallifreyan:

Old High Gallifreyan:
10,000,000 letters (thought to be logographic, but not bloody likely given the pictures).  Used around the time of Rassilon, Omega, and the Other, nearly extinct by the Doctor's time.  "Not many people can speak Old High anymore; thankfully, I can."  Also very good for writing computer programs, consisted of 3 "layers" or subtexts to define absolutely what the speaker wanted to say outlining context, meaning, and ambiguity.

Known words/phrases:
Gallifrey: "They that walk in shadows."
Arkytior: rose
Mi'en Kalarash: blue fire
Valeyard: learned court prosecutor

Old Low Gallifreyan:
No examples

Modern Gallifreyan:
1,000,000 letters (almost certainly logographic...which is cool).  As the name suggests, this was the common language during the Doctor's lifetime.  It used a base-12 number system.
Dialect: Modern Gallifreyan Omegabet - written in equations that must be first solved then translated; very definite as in Old High, but not very practical.  Used to write computer programs.

Known words/phrases:
Pre-ja Vu: (Modern Gallifreyan) the sense that you're going to have been somewhere before. (coined by Academi Plurix)

Gallifreyan Morse:
No examples (very similar to Earth Morse Code)

All of the forms with examples have fan-made bases.  Since conlangs have become increasingly popular lately, there has been massive call for BBC to release an "official" Gallifreyan conlang, or at least a platform for it.  The Doctor's fob watch (Human Nature, The Family of Blood) was designed by one of the show's artists and supposedly has some sort of rhyme and reason to it, but no one has been able to figure it out.

And then there is the new Tardis interior.

The Tardis translates everything, every language in the universe, except Gallifreyan.  The running theory (besides the fact that no developed language has been released) is that Gallifrey and the Time Lords deal with and have words for ideas so brilliant and complex that they cannot be rendered in any other language because they would only appear as gibberish.

Other notes:

Gallifreyans use 208 language tenses.
They have 30 different words to describe culture shock.
The plural of TARDIS is still still debated by Time Lords.
The Patrexian Numbers serve as a numerical base to everything that Patrexian's create.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Clarke

QuoteGallifreyans use 208 language tenses.
I'm aware that this is the Time Lords we're talking about, but that still seems a bit excessive.  :P

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: Clarke on January 27, 2013, 06:43:41 PM
QuoteGallifreyans use 208 language tenses.
I'm aware that this is the Time Lords we're talking about, but that still seems a bit excessive.  :P
Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.  Just go with it. ;D
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Irtaviš Ačankif

Isn't Circular Gallifreyan supposed to be a fancy way of writing English?
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on January 28, 2013, 11:11:50 AM
Isn't Circular Gallifreyan supposed to be a fancy way of writing English?
Officially, no one knows. >:(

As far as fandom goes, it depends on which system you like and follow.  TGCP and Szegedy's Prydonian is all original words/grammar.  Sherman's, totally translit.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall