How difficult do you find na'vi?

Started by GEOvanne, December 01, 2011, 12:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamean

QuoteLiterally they are "You have eat yes no?", "You have eat q?", "You eat no?", "eat no?".
Same thing can be said in Russian too.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

wm.annis

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on January 21, 2012, 01:39:01 AM
Chinese is a TOTAL LINGUISTIC MESS. Pronunciation is a mess too - even standard Mandarin has lots of allophony that is not discussed in Wiki &c, such as [w~v],

I've only ever heard the [w~v] variation from people from Shanghai.  Is it more widespread than that?

QuoteDespite the fact I'm Chinese and I speak Chinese all day long, it is my least favorite language.

A lot of people feel this way about their own language. :)

I think it's important to mention that many languages seem very easy at the beginning level (certainly Chinese grammar seems so the first year, as it's usually taught in the U.S.), then become much more subtly difficult at advanced levels.

Irtaviš Ačankif

It is more widespread, though not as extensive as in shanghai. W only mutates to v (or rarely β) when it precedes a diphthong or an open vowel such as [a].

BTW if there is one thing I know about Chinese phonology, it is its enormous number of vowels:

[a], in the sequences [an], [wan]
   [ä], in [ä], [jä], [wä], [äɪ̯], [wäɪ̯], [äʊ̯], [jäʊ̯] (Depending on the whether the sound after it is 'front' or 'back', Some people may pronounce it more likely to [a] and [ɑ] respectively)
   [ɑ], in [ɑŋ], [jɑŋ], [wɑŋ]
   [e], in [eɪ̯], [weɪ̯] (Some people may pronounce it more likely to [e̽])
   [ɛ], in [jɛ], [jɛn] (and an interjection [ɛ])
   [œ̜], in [ɥœ̜], [ɥœ̜n],
   [ɤ], in [ɤ], [ɤŋ], [wɤŋ]
   [ o ], in [oʊ̯], [joʊ̯] (Some people may pronounce it more likely to [ɤ̹])
   [ɔ], in [wɔ] (and an interjection [ɔ]) (Some people may pronounce it closer)
   [ə], in [ən], [wən]
   [ʌ], as the bare syllabic nucleus [ɰʌ] (rare)
   [z̩], as the bare syllabic nucleus [z̩] [despite the transcription, not actually a syllabic fricative] after the alveolar sibilants /t͡s   t͡sʰ s/. It's accurate pronunciation is usually not a sibilant or fricative sound (but still a alveolar sound).
   [ʐ̩], as the bare syllabic nucleus [ʐ̩] after the retroflex sibilants /t͡ʂ  t͡ʂʰ ʂ ʐ/. It's accurate pronunciation is usually not a sibilant or fricative sound (but still a retroflex sound).
   [ i ], in [ i ], [in], [iŋ] (Some people may add a vowel in [in], [iŋ] between [ i ] and the consonant)
   [ʊ], in [ʊŋ], [jʊŋ]
   [ u ], in [ u ]
   [y], in [y], [yn](Some people may add a vowel in [yn] between [ i ] and [n])
(From Wikipedia).

Eight vowels are enough to distinguish words, but to speak like a native speaker does, you need all of these vowels.

By the way, Pinyin is a totally messed-up system invented by a bunch of Communist reformers who don't know about linguistics. In pinyin there are only 6 vowels, which is woefully inadequate. Words that look rhyming in pinyin may not rhyme. For example, "jian" is pronounced [tɕjen] but "huan" is pronounced  [xwan] or [hwan]. See, -an can be both [en] or [an] depending on context! Since pinyin is supposed to be a phonetic transcription, by all means make it phonetic!!!
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Kamean

Stranger Come Knocking

I don't find learning Na'vi (or any language) too difficult.  In Russian, Hebrew, and Italian, I have the vocab (or the basics, as can be attested to by a certain few individuals and you know who you are) but not the grammar.  In Quenya and Na'vi, I have more grammar than vocab (though both are terribly limited).  I think there is something to be said for "once you learn a second language, it's easier to pick up on most any other language."

My 2-cent tip for language learning: Make mistakes.  We actually learn better by corrected mistakes than super-studying. (Though studying is not a bad idea.)
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Ningey

Quote from: Tanhì Mì Ton on January 22, 2012, 12:26:18 PM
My 2-cent tip for language learning: Make mistakes.  We actually learn better by corrected mistakes than super-studying. (Though studying is not a bad idea.)

Oe ngaru mllte.
Studying can help you to get going, but you get the most progress when actually practicing (that's valid not only for languages, but for virtually everything).

"Sawtute ke tsun nivume - fo ke kerame!"
-- Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

"There are two things that are infinite: Human stupidity and the universe. However, I'm not yet sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

"He who gives up freedom for security deserves neither and loses both."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Tirea Aean

Kamean