is anyone interested in learning an "exotic" language?

Started by Mech, July 26, 2018, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mech

Duolingo had been in pthe rocess of developing a Hawaiian course (yey!). To my happiness and surprise it got out too soon (in Beta).

I noticed that the course consists of very few lessons, 10 or so. I don't know what it means. Are they going to expand it with time?

Also, Navajo courses are published in Beta, and also with very few lessons (for the record, I don't like how Navajo sounds although I like other NA languages)

In any case I haven't seen such thing about the other languages I studied earlier so, if there isn't a mistake, perhaps they changed their policy somehow: I guess they publish their Betas sooner so as to receive more and eariler feedback? Sounds good.

Toliman

Hmm ... it sounds interesting.

I will see it.

Quote from: Mech on October 15, 2018, 09:26:26 AM
I guess they pubish ther Betas sooner so as to receive more and eariler feedback? Sounds good.
Yeah, sounds good.

Toliman

Kxanay

Toliman

Yeah, it looks really interesting :)
Are you interested in these languages too?

Mech

I am sorry to admit that this languge doesn't ring well to my ear, not as much as the other exotic languages I consider "beautiful" :/

Have fun those who pursue to studyit :)

Toliman

Marshallese language ring well to my ear. However I too can say that other exotic languages (Polynesian languages, which interested me - Hawaiian, Maorian, Tahitian...) really are a bit more beautiful.

Also languages of Caroline Islands at Micronesia (Satawalese, Woleaian, Trukese...) ring well to my ear, and there is relative similarity with Marshallese :)

Toliman

Mech

I found this course on ancient egyptian. Unlike other websites and books I've seen around, this one concentrates not on how to decipher hieroglyphic inscriptions but how to write on paper. They also try to show how the words are supposed to be pronounced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVIqBZS9jrA&list=PLwZWJHa7QyPehyeyRACxKbO3OP7Cbx4u5

Toliman

I was never interested too much in ancient egyptian however this is quite interesting :) Thanks for sharing!

Toliman

Mech

I like it too. The only thing that disappoints me about this language is that it doesn't have a glottal stop :D but if I ever learn it, I will devise my own dialect  ;D

Toliman

Yeah, glottal stop missing but it's really nice language :)

Quote from: Mech on December 25, 2019, 04:15:29 PM
but if I ever learn it, I will devise my own dialect  ;D
;D ;D

Toliman

Quote from: Toliman on December 18, 2019, 05:25:22 PM
Maori language, I still thinking about regular study of this language which sounds such nice for me :)
And I finally decided that I try it :)

Toliman

Nice :)

And which these languages interesed you particulary?

jakesullyjr

Quote from: Toliman on December 04, 2021, 02:24:37 PM
Nice :)

And which these languages interesed you particulary?
How did you know that in my culture you just proposed to marry me well I'm not sure what do say what a romantic you are :-[.

Tekre

I learned some Quechua last semester (the ayacucho variety to be precise), next semester I'll have Berber as compulsory course and two Sanskrit courses as extra courses, and the semester after that I'll take the Old Norse course :D Of course, in the linguistics program those courses are more about grammar structures and other theoretical aspects (We didn't even learn basic things like "hello" in the Quechua course, but I can now analyse sentences with overly complicated use of most of the existing morphemes hrh), but still I would say I like learning exotic languages  :)

Toliman