I like this alot!

Started by Payoang, December 12, 2010, 07:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payoang

Via the awesomeness of Hyperbole and a Half

The Alot is Better Than You at Everything

As a grammatically conscientious person who frequents internet forums and YouTube, I have found it necessary to develop a few coping mechanisms.  When someone types out "u" instead of "you," instead of getting mad, I imagine them having only one finger on each hand and then their actions seem reasonable.  If I only had one finger on each hand, I'd leave out unnecessary letters too!

If I come across a person who seems to completely ignore the existence of apostrophes and capital letters and types things like "im an eagle and im typing with my talons, so dont make fun of me cuz this is hard," I like to imagine that they actually are an eagle typing with their talons.  It would be a hassle if you had to hop in the air and use your feet to karate-chop two keys simultaneously every time you wanted to use the shift key to make a capital letter.   Also, eagles lack manual dexterity, so I can understand why they'd want to leave out apostrophes.  Eagles are all about efficiency. 

But there is one grammatical mistake that I particularly enjoy encountering.  It has become almost fun for me to come across people who take the phrase "a lot" and condense it down into one word, because when someone says "alot," this is what I imagine:

The Alot is an imaginary creature that I made up to help me deal with my compulsive need to correct other people's grammar.  It kind of looks like a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug, and it has provided hours of entertainment for me in a situation where I'd normally be left feeling angry and disillusioned with the world. 

For example, when I read the sentence "I care about this alot," this is what I imagine:

Similarly, when someone says "alot of _______", I picture an Alot made out of whatever they are talking about. 

If someone says something like "I feel lonely alot" or "I'm angry alot," I'm going to imagine them standing there with an emo haircut, sharing their feelings with an Alot. 

The Alot is incredibly versatile.

So the next time you are reading along and you see some guy ranting about how he is "alot better at swimming than Michael Phelps," instead of getting angry, you can be like "You're right!  Alots are known for their superior swimming capabilities."

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Ekirä

HRH that's really cute. I do see people doing that alot and it's just wrong. ;)

Mako

You just f-ed alot up for me. *reads what he just typed* Oh no...

Kì'eyawn

HRH  ;D  This.  This just made my whole day better.  I shall share it with everyone i know and love.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Eyamsiyu

I love all the blog entries that come from there.  God of Cake is probably my Favorite.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

'Oma Tirea

This made me HRRH, (ma) alot, as well :D ::)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Nyx

Alot goes "meow"? I like that alot ^^

Quote from: Ekirä on December 12, 2010, 08:08:03 PM
Man, you must be scarred for life... :P

Ekirä

Quote from: Nyx on December 13, 2010, 06:12:15 AM
Alot goes "meow"? I like that alot ^^

Quote from: Ekirä on December 12, 2010, 08:08:03 PM
Man, you must be scarred for life... :P

It's not pretty. :P

Le'eylan

When I read this a few weeks ago, I laughed so much that my brothers left the room.
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Le'eylan on December 13, 2010, 11:11:40 AM
When I read this a few weeks ago, I laughed so much that my brothers left the room.

I have to say I also laughed really hard! It's just so cool ;D

Seykxetskxe te Vawm 'Ewan'ite (Kalin Kato)

Tsamsiyu92

EDIT: Seems as it is from 4-13, it is probably linked to from all over the internet.
Payioang, Have the Alot been linked to from elsewhere?

Oeyä tsmukan poltxe teri tsa'ut, ulte tsun nga piveng oeru txo saryu alahe sivar fìtsenge ta oeyä *IP adress* - fa PM.