Is it a good idea?

Started by ShadowedSin, April 07, 2010, 12:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowedSin

So for the past six months I've been developing a Conlang for a Roleplay world I've worked on. It uses a fairly rare form of sentence structured (OVS) and is almost completely unaspirated (aspirations are considered rude and insulting).

And I guess I'm wondering, was it a good idea to put so much time into something few will ever know? Does it increase the immersion of the world itself?
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.

Niwantaw

yes it's a wonderful idea.

just don't fall into the trap of thinking people won't like it or that it will make it worse
and tell us when it is finished
;D ;D
Only mostly AWOL.

ShadowedSin

I plan on it, it's going to be an ongoing project pretty much I've set it up where anyone can add words to it with my approval.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

Niwantaw

hows this for a epic word
volomptx = epic  :D
Only mostly AWOL.

ShadowedSin

Yer, K's and X's don't exist.

One word I have for Fox!

Tuinaq -Twee nock

Little fox Nituinaq (Nee twee nock)

Person male adult - Couniq'var

I am a guy - Couniq'var tev qy.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

Nyx

Quote from: ShadowedSin on April 07, 2010, 12:27:24 PM
And I guess I'm wondering, was it a good idea to put so much time into something few will ever know? Does it increase the immersion of the world itself?

Yes, it's a great idea, as long as you enjoy it. And it definitely does make the world more complete. I used to do some larp, and this one time, we were walking down a path through a forest, and suddenly we're stopped by two orcs and they were actually threatening us in the black speech. It was epic! (probably faulty too, but i wouldn't be able to spot the mistakes). So yes, you should definitely go ahead and create that kind of detail :)

ShadowedSin

Quote from: Nyx on April 08, 2010, 12:57:50 PM
Quote from: ShadowedSin on April 07, 2010, 12:27:24 PM

Yes, it's a great idea, as long as you enjoy it. And it definitely does make the world more complete. I used to do some larp, and this one time, we were walking down a path through a forest, and suddenly we're stopped by two orcs and they were actually threatening us in the black speech. It was epic! (probably faulty too, but i wouldn't be able to spot the mistakes). So yes, you should definitely go ahead and create that kind of detail :)

That's pretty hard since Tolkien never finished Black Speech oO

Anways a minor update, there are roughly 44 words in the corpus now!

A new line for those wondering -

"Janyvnu'ii, a'qy lime'vyr" - Hello my child.

The Apostrophe's actually mark stops in the glottis and not random fantasy toss ins.

Jaynyv - Greet
nu - past tense suffix
'ii - vowel ending plural suffix
a' - singular possessive genitive case prefix
'vyr - female state suffix.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child

Nyx

Haha I know, and I'm sure they had just picked out some words. My point is, you should definitely keep this up ^^ and I like what I've seen so far :)

wm.annis

Quote from: ShadowedSin on April 10, 2010, 05:19:52 PM
The Apostrophe's actually mark stops in the glottis and not random fantasy toss INS.

Great!  What are the values of q, y and j?

ShadowedSin

Quote from: wm.annis on April 11, 2010, 08:18:26 AM
Quote from: ShadowedSin on April 10, 2010, 05:19:52 PM
The Apostrophe's actually mark stops in the glottis and not random fantasy toss INS.

Great!  What are the values of q, y and j?

As in the sounds?

Q is a hard K sound and best not to be aspirated (Aspiration in the language is considered an act of profanity.)

Y creates a short i or ih sound.

J is a general nordic J like Bjorn or a Y sound.
\Shadow's Sin

Arrow Child