Linguistics Blogs

Started by Taronyu, October 17, 2010, 07:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

More and more I find that linguistics blogs are the best things ever invented by man. They are quick, informative, easily accessible. They range from the "here's a cool article" to the "And this is why mitochandria have everything to do with the Jedi's multilingual abilities" to "and so I said to my friend, like - what is like doing there" to "patterns of complexity in sub-saharan semi-nomadic tonal language subdialects."

As such, I think an aggregator of blogs that we follow would be a good call. So, suggest them here!

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

Language Log: THE linguistics blog. End of blurb.

Edinburgh University Linguistics and English Language Blog: This is the blog with a pretty self-explainable title. I am the main person to update on it, and I generally have a post a day (or have had, over the past few days). These vary in complexity, but I'm quite proud of a few of them.

Llama Conlanger Blog: This is my conlinguistic blog, mostly dealing with conlangs. However, I have it linked to the EULangSoc blog, so anything I write on there that is linguistic I generally have here, as well, just for fun. They are different blogs with different functions, however.

Replicated Typo: A very good linguistic blog that studies 'culture, its evolution and anything in between.' Some masters students from my university write on this. I highly suggest it.

Musings of a Palaelinguist: For all of you who like language evolution. A post-MSc student's blog.

wm.annis

I would also recommend Language Hat, which deals sometimes purely with linguistic matters, but very often leans a bit more to the literary side of languages.  He's the co-author of the book "Uglier Than a Monkey's Armpit: Untranslatable Insults, Put-Downs, and Curses from Around the World."

Nyx

Interesting stuff :) and I need to get my hands on that book, haha

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I know I'm being nit picky, but when you said
Quote from: Taronyu on October 17, 2010, 07:31:00 AM
"And this is why mitochandria have everything to do with the Jedi's multilingual abilities"
I'm pretty sure you meant midichlorians right?
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Taronyu

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on October 17, 2010, 12:38:11 PM
"And this is why mitochandria have everything to do with the Jedi's multilingual abilities"

Damn. Well caught. My bad.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on October 17, 2010, 12:38:11 PM

HRH and I was seeing "mitochondria" :P

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Taronyu

So...Remember when I said this?

Quote from: TaronyuReplicated Typo: A very good linguistic blog that studies 'culture, its evolution and anything in between.' Some masters students from my university write on this. I highly suggest it.

Check it out: http://www.replicatedtypo.com/politics/mapping-linguistic-phylogeny-to-politics/2690/

Now officially writing for them. :D Got the invite last night. Completely unexpected and awesome.

ShadowedSin

Hey Taronyu, should I offer up my own novel discussion and conlang blog for you're list? The Amazo singular pronouns are done btw :)
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.

Taronyu

Quote from: ShadowedSin on October 20, 2010, 12:19:49 PM
Hey Taronyu, should I offer up my own novel discussion and conlang blog for you're list? The Amazo singular pronouns are done btw :)

Not just my list! What blogs do all of you follow?