My First Conlang

Started by Tirea Aean, January 13, 2011, 09:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Ok so I was bored and wanted to make a quick language so i grabbed a text editor and drew up plans. It is really unorganized as of yet, bear with me. I have much work to do, and I probably failed a few times, but this is my first conlang. :) any and all comments, suggestions, or even corrections and any helpful hints, links or whatever would be cool :)

Here is paste of what is in the .txt:

If you want clarification on something, feel free to ask. :)

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Txantsan! :D

As I've already said, I think this language (or what you've done about it so far) really looks great. :) I'm not a language expert and can't give truly reliable and useful comments, but from my amateur point of view, here's what I have to say about your doc:

· Consonant cluster zhv is epic!
· I like the fact that your transitivity prefixes look alike, it's very interesting.
· No gendered nouns nor verb conjugation, that makes the language relatively simple - which I find cool :D
· The grave and circumflex accents are great, they give a special and recognizable look to Hâdazhi.

Tirea Aean

Thank you for the positive feedback!

Yes, I absolutely hate am annoyed by gendered nouns and personal conjugations. that is one big thing i LOVE about Na'vi. Hâdazhi does have a def and indef article tho. i just havent written it down yet.

yeah, zhv is epic. im not sure what word should have that. ;D

I like the pronoun system. they all end in â.

I like the transitivity as well, and the structure of VSO.

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

'Tis epic!!! I like the circumflex accents as well. ;D  Nice job ma Tirea!!!! :D

Kì’onga Vul

Is there going to be an accompanying conscript?  Because I just love conscripts. :)

Anyway, it looks like the difference between e and è will be hard to pull off, at least it would be for me.

I also dislike gendered pronouns.  What made you decide to go with a he/she split, though?  (That's one thing I like about Na'vi, myself, that they're just one word.  Same in Finnish.)
學而時習之!
Did I make an error you just can't stand to let survive?  Please, correct me!  I'll give you candy or something.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kì'onga Vul on January 13, 2011, 10:32:50 PM
Is there going to be an accompanying conscript?  Because I just love conscripts. :)

Anyway, it looks like the difference between e and è will be hard to pull off, at least it would be for me.

I also dislike gendered pronouns.  What made you decide to go with a he/she split, though?  (That's one thing I like about Na'vi, myself, that they're just one word.  Same in Finnish.)

good question.

well really, I hate gengered articles.

and well, I COULD make a "po" equivalent... for those times when you dont know. I just like the specificness of male/female 3rd person pronoun. because it MAKES SENSE to have gender there. not on a door or carpet or a hat... IMO anyway.

Tirea Aean

OH. and as for a script... maybe sometime. just not yet. I like the current convenience to type it on the pc.

Kì’onga Vul

I think I already mentioned somewhere in that Pängkxo NìNa'vi (Aysngä'iyufpi) thread how I don't find the gender binary especially important.  I mean, it's really just a matter of convenience when you're talking about two people, one of whom is male and the other is female.  But if both people are the same gender, you're back at the beginning.  (Which makes me wonder, what if a language had a pronoun that denoted age, for example.  Not "he" and "she" but "he/she who is young(er)" and "he/she who is older".)

Anyway, on the other hand, while languages like Finnish get by with ungendered 3s pronouns, in this world no language can get by too well without any gender distinction.  (Though an example of this would be fascinating.)

Which reminds me, are you creating this language for some fictional people, even if you don't plan to make a story out of it?  Or just for the beauty/fun of it (which I think is the cooler option)?

And I agree, make the language, then the script.  Then, hopefully, they won't come into conflict during the creation process.
學而時習之!
Did I make an error you just can't stand to let survive?  Please, correct me!  I'll give you candy or something.

akiwiguy

Txantsan!

You should set up a WP.com account, and post updates there.
And, a dictionary.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kì'onga Vul on January 13, 2011, 10:59:54 PM
I think I already mentioned somewhere in that Pängkxo NìNa'vi (Aysngä'iyufpi) thread how I don't find the gender binary especially important.  I mean, it's really just a matter of convenience when you're talking about two people, one of whom is male and the other is female.  But if both people are the same gender, you're back at the beginning.  (Which makes me wonder, what if a language had a pronoun that denoted age, for example.  Not "he" and "she" but "he/she who is young(er)" and "he/she who is older".)

Anyway, on the other hand, while languages like Finnish get by with ungendered 3s pronouns, in this world no language can get by too well without any gender distinction.  (Though an example of this would be fascinating.)

Which reminds me, are you creating this language for some fictional people, even if you don't plan to make a story out of it?  Or just for the beauty/fun of it (which I think is the cooler option)?

And I agree, make the language, then the script.  Then, hopefully, they won't come into conflict during the creation process.

yes...fascinating ideas...

and no, as of yet, no con-race, con-world or story behind it. I'm no writer. I'm just a tirea :3. but hey if someone wants to use and/or learn it with me, go ahead.  :-)

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on January 13, 2011, 11:01:56 PM
Txantsan!

You should set up a WP.com account, and post updates there.
And, a dictionary.

I might do that. I'm gonna do what Taronyu did. but I have much less time. I'm gonna try to finish it at least grammarwise before I leave the forum for a while. tho part of me sees that not happening. XD

Kì’onga Vul

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 13, 2011, 11:14:51 PM

I might do that. I'm gonna do what Taronyu did. but I have much less time. I'm gonna try to finish it at least grammarwise before I leave the forum for a while. tho part of me sees that not happening. XD

It's kind of funny that you're starting such a project just as you're realizing you need to devote more time to real life. :P  Luckily, it's something you can just add to a little at a time if need be.

But that's just how it was with me and Na'vi.  My winter break was close to ending, and I found this forum and was like, "I should totally start learning this language which will eat up even more of my time."  So far, though, worth it. ;D
學而時習之!

Tirea Aean

hahaha yeah...

so I have decided to just use the wordpress blog I already have. I just created a new section. just one thing.... my blog is a na'vi blog hrrh :-P

http://tireaaean.wordpress.com

currently making the post... MAAAN its been way too long since I've posted...O.O

Kì’onga Vul

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 13, 2011, 11:48:02 PM
hahaha yeah...

so I have decided to just use the wordpress blog I already have. I just created a new section. just one thing.... my blog is a na'vi blog hrrh :-P

Actually, I think that, were you to explain the language in Na'vi, many more people would learn it that way than there are people truly learning Na'vi only through the Klingon board.  ::)  Fa lì'fya angawnop nume lahea lì'fyat angawnop...lor lu.

Anyway, I'm sure some necessary English in the "Hâdazhi" posts won't hurt.
學而時習之!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kì'onga Vul on January 13, 2011, 11:57:57 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 13, 2011, 11:48:02 PM
hahaha yeah...

Actually, I think that, were you to explain the language in Na'vi, many more people would learn it that way than there are people truly learning Na'vi only through the Klingon board.  ::)  Fa lì'fya angawnop nume lahea lì'fyat angawnop...lor lu.

Anyway, I'm sure some necessary English in the "Hâdazhi" posts won't hurt.

sraaan. :-)  tsaw lu tìhawl nìngay. post made.

Kì’onga Vul

I like the phrase on the blog, "Tagged Hâdazhi lì'fya".  Bam, three languages in three words. 8)
學而時習之!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kì'onga Vul on January 14, 2011, 12:11:11 AM
I like the phrase on the blog, "Tagged Hâdazhi lì'fya".  Bam, three languages in three words. 8)

hahaha 'epìkx  8)

wm.annis

There is a funky asymmetry in your sound system:

f:v s:z ʃ:ʒ huh?:ð

I am very surprised not to see [θ].  This is not completely unnatural (though the presence of either [θ] or [ð] in a conlang is diagnostic of an L1-English inventor), just rather surprising.

I love that while most of your cases are prefixes, possession is a suffix.

Kì’onga Vul

Finnish was confusing to me similarly.  There's

t : d

but

p : --
s : --
k : --

and then, somehow

-- : v

Of course, with loanwords nowadays, there are b, z, g, and f sounds, but there weren't originally.

/offtopic
學而時習之!