Ocarik

Started by Stranger Come Knocking, December 03, 2013, 08:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger Come Knocking

So this is one of many conlangs I have made/been making. (Think 1 out of...16?) This is only one I am having real serious trouble with just because of a few rules I've tossed in to make things interesting.  I think the ideas are simple, but I'm just making it more complicated than it needs to be.  So, a few notes.

On the Broader World:

Relative Terran Era: Middle Ages
"Superpower" Country: Ilir

On the People:

The Ocarik are considered a "primitive tribe" by the Iliri, though they are not very different.  They are one of four tribes (Merish, Doma, and Shorshi); they do not share a border with any of the other tribes' territories, instead being separated by unclaimed or disputed territories; they share a border with Ilir and have some coastline.  Despite this coastline, however, they are not much into sailing beyond basic defensive capabilities and some fishing.  

The Ocarik are considered the "deep pine tribe" as their territory is largely coniferous forest.  In their ongoing war with Ilir (a war which Ilir started as a sort of "ethnic" cleansing) they are quite adept at guerrilla warfare.  Their preferred weapons include bows, knives, fisticuffs, and maybe a short sword.  They wear heavy wools.  Chainmail is seen as a luxury, albeit a grudging one.  Heavy armor and greatswords are spat upon, considered the weaponry/defense of a coward.

99% of the Ocarik live in small villages.  All children are trained to be hunters and warriors; many prefer to stay as one or the other, even the women.  The remaining 1% of the Ocarik live alone or in family units and are harmless.  The villages are quite settled (not nomadic); the houses are generally built of, you guessed it, pine, and may accommodate three or four generations.

Story-telling is of utmost importance to the Ocarik.  There is often a set time of day for elders to tell stories.  The entire village, less only the defenders, will sit and listen.  The stories have chapters and cliffhangers and the longest-known story lasted for 117 days.  The stories may be about anything and usually include everything.  In a standard hero's quest tale, every detail of the journey, including how the hero got food and water or if they starved or got dehydrated, every minute detail of a side quest, is included.  The Ocarik tell stories of victory as well as stories of defeat as long as it is considered honorable. (They have great respect for good leaders and recognize that even a minor slip [unforeseen weather for example] can turn the tide of a battle.)

Ocarik has no adjectives, preferring to use them as verbs.  Their names are often two-part.  Because of their adjectival verbs, Iliri is unable (or unwilling) to cope and thus distorts their names.

(Terek Ritan) Shadow Reaper becomes Shadow-Come-Reaping
(Reyz Uhti) Wind Breath becomes Wind-Fell-Breathing

And so on.

On the Language (so far):

As mentioned, they have no adjectives.  They also have no infinitive verbs and no articles or present "to be".  They are absolute sticklers about precise locations and thus have a copious number of prepositions (still working on the copiousness).

Because of the writing system (working on some halfway decent examples), words are typically CVCV, though double consonants and double vowels are possible.

Ocarik has a fascination with many tiny words making up a single-meaning phrase (especially with verb tenses).

They have only a single, all-inclusive 3S pronoun.

IMPORTANT: It is incredibly disrespectful to shorten an Ocarik name (Terek Ritan -> Ter or Ritan).

On the Language (to be done):

I started out with Turkish in mind, then decided to toss in some Russian and add a huge spoonful of Dothraki.  Figure that one out. ><

There are 200+ practice sentences at the end of the document.  I would like at least a direction to go in so I can fill all of them in.

Yes, I know I BSed some of the technical terms, but they make sense to me.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Very interesting, ma Stranger Come Knocking!

I looked over your sketch, and it is obvious you have been an active conlanger. Ocarik has some interesting features. One that caught my attention was the use of 'submodals'. The modal construction in general is rather interesting.

I'm glad to see you threw some Dothraki in there :), although I am not 100 percent sure I see it yet.

Are you a member of the Language Creation Society? If not, you should consider joining!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 03, 2013, 09:25:45 PM
Very interesting, ma Stranger Come Knocking!

I looked over your sketch, and it is obvious you have been an active conlanger. Ocarik has some interesting features. One that caught my attention was the use of 'submodals'. The modal construction in general is rather interesting.
Be warned that the general term of "submodals" is for my benefit only; it's organized to my mind.  I know I probably have it wrong and some professional linguist is reeling in his seat.  But I would like to know what they're actually called. :)

I'm glad to see you threw some Dothraki in there :), although I am not 100 percent sure I see it yet.
Isn't Dothraki an "adjective-free" language also? ???

Are you a member of the Language Creation Society? If not, you should consider joining!
No, not a member.  My activity with conlanging comes and goes in incredibly short, astoundingly productive bursts. :(

Any sagely advice or feedback for me?  I would rather avoid a mess than have to come back for help untangling one.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.