Sey'kxen

Started by akiwiguy, July 22, 2011, 06:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akiwiguy

Sey'kxen is the language that I am working on.
The pronunciation is based on Na'vi, without the trilled R.
It is continually being worked on, and there's not much in it at the moment. There's a dictionary attached to this post, and more information and my notes on developing it will be available at seykxen.akiwiguy.tk (that is, when the DNS propagates...) EDIT: it's up :D

If anyone has any suggestions and/or constructive criticism, let me know. It really is a work in progress though. Only a handful of words. Though already it's better than Na'vi in one aspect: I can say vay tsari awntx when I can't do that nìNa'vi without resorting to using English (oe lu "bored" nìtxan) xD

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Very neat, ma Eltu! :D I like the idea of inspiring yourself from Na'vi while creating completely new words. :) From what's in the dictionary so far, I must say I find the beginnings of Sey'kxen pretty promising! ;)

I wonder, are you going to make sure that nothing in your language corresponds to already existing words or grammatical features found in Na'vi, or do you expect that to happen? :) Also, another question: do the Srä'kxen people have anything to do with the Na'vi or have any similarities with them as a culture? :)

Anyways, can't wait to see the development of Sey'kxen! ;D

akiwiguy

Irayo nìtxan :D

I'm trying to make sure that nothing in Sey'kxen pulls directly from Na'vi (words, grammatical features, etc) but if there are some similarities it doesn't really bother me :P I am kind of expecting there to be some similarities eventually.

The Srä'kxen people are similar to the Na'vi as a culture in terms of them being very environmentally concious. However, they are more advanced in terms of technology, having things like water-wheels to power equipment, etc. I am planning to develop the culture of the Srä'kxen people along side the language as well.

akiwiguy

Well, Ekirä has alerted me to the fact that vay and tsari already exist nìNa'vi.
Vay = up to, tsari = that w/topical.

I said that I expected similarities. I didn't expect them to come this early. xD

Irtaviš Ačankif

Maybe this language is spoken by another culture on another unexplored continent of Pandora...seems unlikely that all of the Pandorans are part of the Na'vi people, speak the same language, wear the same clothes, live the same way, and have the same religions and rituals. It is a mistake many people make, but think about getting an alien book about Earthlingish. It is just impossible.

So maybe this culture is also on Pandora, considering the language similarities. Perhaps include some cognates from Na'vi?
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

akiwiguy

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on July 22, 2011, 10:45:34 PM
Maybe this language is spoken by another culture on another unexplored continent of Pandora...seems unlikely that all of the Pandorans are part of the Na'vi people, speak the same language, wear the same clothes, live the same way, and have the same religions and rituals. It is a mistake many people make, but think about getting an alien book about Earthlingish. It is just impossible.

So maybe this culture is also on Pandora, considering the language similarities. Perhaps include some cognates from Na'vi?

That's certainly given me something to think about. A different, more technologically advanced race on the same planet. I suppose, since the Na'vi have no way of travelling vast distances across oceans but ayikran, and they get tired eventually. Given the language similarities they could have evolved simultaneously and then split off - and I use the world evolve there as the Srä'kxen do not believe in a "higher spirit" or a deity as such. The atheists of the Pandoran world, perhaps? The Srä'kxen have some aspects of the Na'vi body, as well - they have bioluminescent dots on their skin, however these show mood rather than for being for identification. They also have queues, however the network between plants is only existant in trees and other large plants, not smaller plants. The network has no storage capacity, however it can be used for direct communication. There are certain trees which are communication endpoints in a way - where the Srä'kxen people can connect for communication. The network also relays environmental information from plants.

That's what I have come up with so far.

Irtaviš Ačankif

I think that two distinct intelligent species is a bit strange. I think that the difference between Srä'kxen and Na'vi would be like the difference between Americans and Africans. The species should be the same but the culture can be different. Maybe the Srä'kxen believe in nawma sempul instead of nawma sa'nok?

akiwiguy

There aren't two distinct species. The Srä'kxen and the Na'vi are related, however their evolutionary paths split as they were physically separated. The Srä'kxen retain many of the same features as the Na'vi - flat nose, cat-like ears, queue, etc. The Srä'kxen also have no religion - they don't believe in a higher spirit such as Eywa.

Yayo

Perhaps you should present a suggestion paper to James Cameron?  :-\  :D

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Irtaviš Ačankif

Exactly. Maybe let these people equip the Na'vi with civilization and technology.

EywaFon(TM) For Sale! Talk With Any Tsmukan Or Tsmuke Through The Tree Network! Text, speech, and even video - everything is in the net!

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on July 23, 2011, 05:02:37 AM
There aren't two distinct species. The Srä'kxen and the Na'vi are related, however their evolutionary paths split as they were physically separated. The Srä'kxen retain many of the same features as the Na'vi - flat nose, cat-like ears, queue, etc. The Srä'kxen also have no religion - they don't believe in a higher spirit such as Eywa.

This sounds very interesting and nice to me, ma 'eylan! :) I agree with the others: I think such a project should be shared. :D

Human No More

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on July 22, 2011, 10:45:34 PM

If all humans had had the internet all throughout the development of civilisation, they would speak the same language too.
As it is, the Na'vi have their biology in common, obviously, but also their language. Clothes are likely similar but probably slightly adapted to different regions (the plains probably see a greater temperature variance in either direction, for example). Not sure if you can class a sentient being as a belief. Honestly, I think having some 'secret technologically advanced Na'vi' would be both extremely implausible and really mess with the message and story.

Pandora actually has a lower percentage of open sea than Earth, and you would probably be surprised with the distance even birds on Earth can fly. It was also directly stated in background material that while Avatar takes place on the southern continent, Na'vi live on all of Pandora.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

'Oma Tirea

I thought this might happen sooner or later: making a language based (somewhat) around Na'vi....

Quote from: Yayo on July 23, 2011, 05:14:35 AM
Perhaps you should present a suggestion paper to James Cameron?  :-\  :D

Sran although it has also been argued that Na'vi is the only language on Pandora, for various reasons.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Irtaviš Ačankif

The tree network can cross continents?  :o

I will be surprised if an ikran made a trans-Pacific flight non-stop. The Srä'kxen IMO are the same species as the Na'vi and look the same. The culture, however, is different.

By the way, why would advanced technology mess up the message? It would actually enhance it, as we can be shown how to have really advanced technology AND meoauniaea at the same time.

akiwiguy

The tree network certainly does not cross the ocean xD

Yeah, that's what I thought. I know there are a number of birds that fly across oceans, but I don't think something as large as an ikran would be able to do it non-stop. The Srä'kxen and the Na'vi are the same species, albeit with minor differences. Such as the purpose of their bioluminescent spots.

I don't think it would mess up the message at all.
Also, advanced? Ha! More advanced than the Na'vi, yes, but no electricity, nothing like that. Think of water wheels and an old-style flour mill kind of technology. But yes, the Srä'kxen are harmonious with nature as well as being somewhat technologically advanced.

Irtaviš Ačankif

They could be more advanced than that, given their communications tree network which probably can also transmit electricity. At least they will have a tree-network phone system. And probably carts towed by Pa'li. Or tsaheylu guns :)

TSAHEYLU GUN 20 SRA'KXEN DOLLARS
tsaheylu with a wooden apparatus and send your nervous system's voltage across the skies! Na'vis receive 20% discount. Able to fire 2000 shots (enough to kill 800 ayikran) before depleting energy of one (1) person.

Äteya

Coral might be part of the tree system so maybe Eywa could connect with plants on islands.  :-\

Human No More

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on July 25, 2011, 02:01:51 AM
The tree network can cross continents?  :o
Of course. Look at the roots in the mountains. They could easily serve as submarine cables even before underwater plants are taken into account.

QuoteI will be surprised if an ikran made a trans-Pacific flight non-stop.
There are animals on Earth that can, and an ikran is significantly larger, and lives in better conditions for flight of large animals.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman