Ayuniltìranyu Älfapitä - "The Alphabet of the Dreamwalkers"

Started by Reyi Pxaypxiwll, September 03, 2010, 11:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reyi Pxaypxiwll

((If this doesn't belong here, I will understand if it has to be moved.))

Kaltxì, ma eylan!  I hope you are all well. *bow*

Pokey:  *rattleschwee*

Oh... and Pokey says hi.

Pokey:  *rattle*

*embarrassed expression, then composes herself*

Aside from obviously enjoying the art and science of constructed languages, I've made a small hobby of creating constructed scripts for writing.  Most of these con-scripts are obviously simple English substitution ciphers intended for young children to use for writing coded messages and passing notes to each other behind the teacher's back (not that I'm guilty of doing that myself. *halo*)

To make a long story short, after reading Karyu Pawl's blog post on a Na'vi alphabet, I felt compelled to at least scratch up something to associate those sounds to.

After a few days of tinkering around, this was the end result:

((Pardon my terrible handwriting...))

Okay... yes. I shouldn't have put that description there.  What can I say?  I happen to like plausible explanations for how some fan-made things might fit into canon... but that's not what we're talking about, ay?

That alphabet is far from a finished product, as far as I know, so constructive critique is in order.  I do know that it does go from right to left when written, and can even be written top to bottom/left to right like certain asian languages.  I wish I had scanned some proper examples, but circumstance has rendered that page "un-scan-able".

So what say you, Na'vi?  Is this alphabet totally unnecessary? (I personally think so, but where's the fun in that?) And, if you like what you see, you're all free to use it liberally.

Thank you for your time, eylan, and enjoy.  *bow*

EDIT:  Oh... and before I forget... Thanks to Aykaryu Kemaweyan, Plumps, Prrton, and Tirea Aean for coming up with the alphabet that inspired this con-script.  Many smiles to you!

UPDATE (Sept 12, 2010) : Finally got off my kxetse and scanned in some examples on how this con-script is written out.  It is below for your viewing pleasure!

Again, pardon my chickenscratch...

Also, thanks to some timely advice from 'eyktan 'Oma Tirea, I've gone ahead and tweaked the name of the conscript for accuracy and posterity.  Feel free to discuss, critique, and most importantly, use this script for either inspiration or everyday use!  Irayo and have fun! *bow*
Oel ayngati kameie, ma haryu.  Irayo.  Irayo.
Pokey: *rattleschwee*  Pokey says, "Hi."

'Oma Tirea

Seykxel sì nitram ngaru ;D  Fì'u mowan oeru lu.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Reyi Pxaypxiwll

*feels awkward*

...Uhm.  Irayo, Karyu 'Oma Tìrea...  Either you said that you really liked my con-script, or you're trying to flirt with me. 

If it's the latter, I hate to break your heart like this, but I'm already taken.  *holds up hand wearing symbolic ring*  I'm way too young to be a cougar, by the way, and Pokey eats unwanted suitors for lunch.

Pokey: *RATTLEGRROWLHISSSS...* *puffs up thorns*
Me: Mawey, Pokey.  Down, boy.

... If it was the former, I'm honored. *bows*

Side note: I just noticed a spelling error in the con-scripted version of the word "Uniltìrantokx". And, in hindsight, the conscript should have been called "Uniltìranyu Älfapit" ... Or something in the vernacular...

'Oma Tirea

If you're wondering, the translation (non-literal) is "Congratulations to you, I like it."

Kop, I'm not really a karyu (maybe a would-be Karyuä Srungsiyu, but not much more).

Nìpxeyve, you're probably thinking of this spelling for "Alphabet of Avatar".

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Reyi Pxaypxiwll

*looks even more embarrassed*  ehe ^^;;  Thank you for the clarification, 'eyktan 'Oma Tirea.  May I call you 'eyktan until you get a proper title, ma?

I finally got off my kxetse and scanned in some examples on how this con-script is written out.  It is below for your viewing pleasure!

Pardon the chickenscratch... There's more than a few grammatical errors in there, but for an example, this will have to do.

Fan-lore-wise, as an aside, for the time being maybe only the Avatars and a few True Na'vi may be using this con-script.  Writing might be alien to the native people of Pandora, and not all might be willing to learn something potentially beneficial.

Also, thanks to some timely advice from 'eyktan 'Oma Tirea, I've gone ahead and tweaked the name of the conscript for accuracy and posterity.  Feel free to discuss, critique, and most importantly, use this script for either inspiration or everyday use!  Irayo and have fun! *bow*

'Oma Tirea

TSe, guess what? ;D

Your alphabet, along with Prrtonä alphabet inspired my new writing system.  Enjoy :D

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Tsamsiyu92

This script seems like something they would have used if they were to write, because with sharp edges, one can easily carve it into stone, tree or any other surface. Kind of like the old norse scripting.

Great work.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on September 16, 2010, 04:17:45 AM
This script seems like something they would have used if they were to write, because with sharp edges, one can easily carve it into stone, tree or any other surface. Kind of like the old norse scripting.

Great work.

...and IMHO is easier to understand that Prrtonä alphabet.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Reyi Pxaypxiwll

@ 'Oma Tirea:  An honor!  I'll be keeping a close eye on your script, aye. ^^

@ Tsamsiyu92:  Thank you. *bow*  Yes, it was based off the older "scratch" forms of writing, like Futhark and Ogham, and ease of use and understanding was the goal for this con-script.

In other news, I found a little typography site that I might be using extensively for future scripts, and I would like to offer its use to other folk here.

http://fontstruct.fontshop.com

I'll be sprucing up Ayuniltìranyu Älfapitä with this... if you have any suggestions for things to add for the spruced up script, please, let me know!

Pokey: *...cricketchirp*
Me: Nothing to say, ma Pokey?
Pokey: *rattle*

Prrton

Quote from: Reyi Pxaypxiwll on September 17, 2010, 01:15:17 PM
@ 'Oma Tirea:  An honor!  I'll be keeping a close eye on your script, aye. ^^

@ Tsamsiyu92:  Thank you. *bow*  Yes, it was based off the older "scratch" forms of writing, like Futhark and Ogham, and ease of use and understanding was the goal for this con-script.

In other news, I found a little typography site that I might be using extensively for future scripts, and I would like to offer its use to other folk here.

http://fontstruct.fontshop.com

I'll be sprucing up Ayuniltìranyu Älfapitä with this... if you have any suggestions for things to add for the spruced up script, please, let me know!

Pokey: *...cricketchirp*
Me: Nothing to say, ma Pokey?
Pokey: *rattle*

Ma Reyi, kaltxì.

Oel ngati kameie, ma tsmuke.

I just learned of your alphabet this morning. I found it based on your signature advert because you'd commented on Tsm. 'Oma Tirea's system.

I arrived here intending to offer to create bezier-based outlines for you, but then propmptly learned of FontStruct from YOU!

;D

What a great site. I just signed up and will play around with it when I can find the time.

I have one suggestion about your title. For "The Alphabet of the Dreamwalkers" the genitive « ä » would be on the "dreamwalkers". The Alphabet belongs to them. So:

Älfapìt Ayuniltìranyuä

If the pronunciation basis for the English loan into Na'vi is American English, I feel like the final vowel would be the Na'vi « ì » instead of « i », which would be more like *"alphabeet" if the pronunciation were turned back into English.

I'm very much looking forward to what you come up with in FontStruct

Tirea Aean

Just wanted to pop in and declare that I think this is interesting.

OH and I do believe that Prrtonä system is REALLY not complicated and I understand it quite easily...its just the only thing is not every rule concerning it(compounding in particular) is defined as of yet.

so yeah. Nice one, Reyi. ;D

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 29, 2010, 02:58:13 PM
...its just the only thing is not every rule concerning it(compounding in particular) is defined as of yet.

So THAT would explain a lot... :P

ÌTXTSTXRR!!