Russian
Ukrainian
Klingon
Na'vi
Elvish
Esperanto
other (rutxe piveng)

Hufwe Atxur

English, German, Latin and French .. aaand Na'vi (well, I'm learning it.. ;)) Would like to speak Russian, maybe I'll try to learn it.
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Elektrolurch

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on November 03, 2010, 03:08:14 PM
Update: I'll be taking German next semester, so I will be speaking that fairly soon. ;)

;D
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

German: mother-tongue (and father-tongue ;) ) (makes pronouncing Na'vi easy)
English: First foreign language (since year 3 at school, but not learning it anymore)
Latin: Second foreign language (for 6 years now (I can't speak it fluently though))
Na'vi: Why else should I be here? ;D
Spanish: Basic words (what you need for holiday in Spain)

eejmensenikbenhet

I speak Dutch, English, quite good German and a bit Latin.
And of course Na'vi :D

Palulukanä Tarontu

My languages are the following:

• German: it's my native language
  • English: first learned language in school, would say I can speak it fluently
  • english dialects (american english): some in school, most of it learned by watching subtitled US-Series
  • French: second language in school, can't do a conversation, worse due to some problems in grammar, knowledge in pronounciation
  • Japanese: im currently learning it, some basics
  • Na'vi: I'm at the very beginning

I read some of you want to learn german, what are the learners thinking? Do you learn it the easy way or do you have some problems by doing it? There are some hard parts to learn like grammar or using times. The pronouncing of the umlauts could be a problem, too. I could watch or hear it at everyone who tries to speak these letters correct. The most of them fail, because they don't know how to speak these. Instead of this they ignore the trema and speak these as normal vocals, ä becomes a, ö becomes o etc.

There are some things I could find out by learning japanese or Na'vi: both are easy to learn for people with germanian languages. The pronounciation makes it easier. Some parts in the Na'vi language are exactly the same as we speak it. In japanese the most of the romanised words can be spoken as written.

But, enough to my linguistic thinking.  :D
old gallery link?id=1817[/img]

"When people are sitting on s*** you want, you make them your enemy. Then you're justified in taking it."
- Jake Sully
[email protected]

Kì’onga Vul

(Those in bold I can actually speak.  Those in italics, I'm not studying anymore and can't really say anything in.)

English:  My native language, specifically American English, more specifically Minnesotan English, don'tcha know?

Mandarin:  I've studied it since high school and am just about through the highest level at my college.  I'm more comfortable reading and writing, but can almost always say what I want one way or another.  I can understand spoken Chinese, but the rapid-fire conversations on sitcoms just go over my head.

Ido:  I learned Ido for a month or two, which is what set off my interest in conlangs.  I loved the fact that it didn't have any inconsistencies, and everything I read seemed much clearer in Ido.  However, I didn't sustain interest and have since forgotton most of the vocabulary I know, though I can still dissect the structure of sentences.

Lojban:  My study of Lojban is like that of Ido, but on a smaller scale.  I learned the basics and liked the idea, but I knew I would never attain a decent level of fluency.  It's cool to know about it, though, even if I can't understand anything.

Finnish:  I'm sure a lot of you can sympathize with this.  I learn languages because they're interesting, and not because they're useful.  (Luckily, English and Mandarin just happen to be incredibly useful.)  So, I started studying Mandarin because it had the most fascinating writing system to me (although Korean I believe is the best), meaning it was the most beautiful looking.  Finnish, I believe, is the most beautiful sounding.  It has just enough sounds to have a unique flavor, not too many so that it sounds indistinct.  The unvarying word stress and geminates make it kind of like a stream.

I understand what Kì'eyawn mentioned about Turkish.  For me, Finnish has been the gateway language to Na'vi.  Neither English nor Mandarin has a notable case system or uses affixes too extensively (Chinese not at all).  They also don't have trilled r's.  Finnish on the other hand, has fifteen cases, affixes for just about everything, and yes, trilled r's (which I still have trouble with).

I guess because English and Mandarin are so widely spoken, I get a free pass to learn languages like Finnish and Na'vi!
學而時習之!
Did I make an error you just can't stand to let survive?  Please, correct me!  I'll give you candy or something.

Tsamsiyu92

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on October 18, 2010, 05:04:13 PM
I'm learning Na'vi with no "language bridge" :)
I have no bridging grammar-wise, but having Norwegian as a mother tongue made me nail most of the sounds in Na'vi.