Writing systems

Started by 'Oma Tirea, December 17, 2010, 12:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which writing system do you know/want to learn?

Latin
16 (76.2%)
Greek
12 (57.1%)
Cyrillic
12 (57.1%)
Hebrew
7 (33.3%)
Arabic
7 (33.3%)
Devanagari
4 (19%)
Bengali
1 (4.8%)
Gurmukhi
1 (4.8%)
Gujarati
1 (4.8%)
Oriya
1 (4.8%)
Kannada
2 (9.5%)
Tamil
2 (9.5%)
Telugu
1 (4.8%)
Malayam
1 (4.8%)
Georgian
2 (9.5%)
Armenian
1 (4.8%)
Thai
2 (9.5%)
Lao
1 (4.8%)
Tibetian
4 (19%)
Korean
4 (19%)
Japanese (Hiragana/Katakana)
8 (38.1%)
Chinese
7 (33.3%)
Any/all alphabets
3 (14.3%)
Any/all abjads
1 (4.8%)
Any/all abugidas
1 (4.8%)
Any/all syllabries
2 (9.5%)
Other (name below)
4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Yes, I guess I wouldn't learn Klingon either, because the way it looks also disturbs me a bit. I'd rather learn a language or a writing system which inspires me (and which doesn't confuse or frustrate me). :P

Concerning that Language of Space, no, I had never came across it. I think it looks interesting : I like the concept of an "a priori" language. Also, the symbols (although they might be difficult to put together in a logical way for a learner) seem to be pretty easy to transcribe because they're not too complicated nor too detailed. :)

Kì’onga Vul

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 04, 2011, 06:48:03 AM
Concerning that Language of Space, no, I had never came across it. I think it looks interesting : I like the concept of an "a priori" language. Also, the symbols (although they might be difficult to put together in a logical way for a learner) seem to be pretty easy to transcribe because they're not too complicated nor too detailed. :)

I actually found the aUI book by W. John Weilgart, Ph.D, so I'm going to look through it tonight.

In the beginning, he actually mentions a game the reader and a few friends can play in which they are given a concept and must put together the aUI symbols they feel best fit the concept.  While I like this stimulation of creativity, a kind of amateur philosophy exercise about meaning, the points you get are actually based on how close you get to the correct aUI combination of symbols, as thought up by Weilgart himself.  There's a game where you can also guess the English meaning of an aUI word.

There's no problem of a language saying "No, 'language' is space/mind/sound, not human/matter/life (humans giving life to matter) or feeling/life/matter (feelings about life and matter)."  The problem is when the creator insists this is the correct and most right way to look at something.

Still, it looks interesting, and would make for the strangest-looking notes ever.
學而時習之!
Did I make an error you just can't stand to let survive?  Please, correct me!  I'll give you candy or something.

wm.annis

I ran into a book on aUI years ago.  Considering it's aspirations, it's a remarkably backwards thing.  When you run into the author's ideas on gender, my distaste will become clear.

It's a good demonstration on the problems of oligosynthesis.  No two people will pick apart a concept in the same way.