Were any Na'vi ever played by real human actors?

Started by Mithcoriel, December 05, 2010, 03:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mithcoriel

My brother knows that the Na'vi were played by actors in motion capture suits and then rendered on the computer. But he's still convinced that in some closeup-scenes, where the textures are particularly detailed, they might be played by real actors in blue masks. That's not true, right?
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

Kamean

Yes, that's not true. In closeup scenes actor's face expression's is on the first place, but masks reduce it so much.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Human No More

"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ekirä

And WETA just fixed them up to look pretty. WETA is pretty damn amazing.

At least, that's my understanding from watching the extras on my CE 3rd disc. :P

Seze

Quote from: Ekirä on December 06, 2010, 02:39:46 PM
And WETA just fixed them up to look pretty. WETA is pretty damn amazing.

At least, that's my understanding from watching the extras on my CE 3rd disc. :P

Sran, WETA would get the raw MOCAP data and all the reference video that was shot with HD video cameras, and then build the actual video sequence using that as a starting point.  They would add in all the tails and ears, and fix some of the MOCAP data to make it more fluid and natural looking.  For instance, the MOCAP data for facial features only gives them a very rough starting point.  They had to animate all the emotion themselves, using the reference video as their guide.  The final sequence is all computer animated, no makeup/prosthetics were used during any of those sequences for the Na'vi.   

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Seze on December 06, 2010, 05:44:31 PM
...no makeup/prosthetics were used during any of those sequences for the Na'vi.   

...unless of course you count the dots on their faces ::)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Human No More

And the ears, hair and tails they wore to give reference for the other actors to look at, I guess.

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Seze

Human No More

I was just saying that technically they are prosthetics, I know they they weren't used for any actual filming

Unless you are facepalming at the OP, in which case all is good and I agree :P

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

- Richard P. Feynman

Eyawng te Klltepayu

I wonder why the ears on the Mo-Cap suits are higher than we see in the renders. Anyone know?
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Seze

Quote from: Eyawng te Klltepayu on December 12, 2010, 08:01:23 AM
I wonder why the ears on the Mo-Cap suits are higher than we see in the renders. Anyone know?

The ears and tails for that matter, are there in the mocap environment just to give the actors something to look at.  As far as I know its just there so the actors can keep track of who/what they are, since they use mocap for more than just the Na'vi.