MotW #4: bommel

Started by bommel, November 03, 2011, 03:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bommel

bommel is this weeks Mathematician of the Week! Seykxel sì nitram! bommel has been paired with Gauss

1. Who are you?
Kaltxì! My real name is Philipp but most of you will know me as bommel :) I'm 23 and live in Germany.

2. What brought you to the Mathematics and Statistics board?
Actually I just stumbled upon it. It's a funny idea, though :)

3. For how long have you liked Math?
Well, to be honest, I regard math most time as a necessary evil I have to deal with, though there are some very interesting topics (like digital signal processing). But I'm not bad at it so there's no reason to complain ;)

4. What subjects/jobs do you do which involve Math? What do you do?
I'm currently enrolled in Technomathematics (Master of Science) after having finished my bachelor degree this year. I have a lot of math at the moment. However, I don't know yet when, where and for what I will use all my new knowledge...

5. What Math-related subjects did you take in High School? Or if you are a student, what are you currently studying?
I'm currently listening to the following math-related lectures:

• Theory of ODEs & PDEs
  • Numerics of ODEs & PDEs I
  • Functional Analysis
  • Integral Transforms & Digital Signal Processing

6. What is your favourite number? Why?
10 - Because you can bring jokes like: There are only 10 types of mathematicians - those who understand binary and those who don't.

7. Who is your favourite Mathematician/Scientist. Why?
Jean Baptiste Joseph Fourier. Why? Cause he invented the Fourier series which is related to the Fourier Transform. I like all the stuff related to digital signal processing and understanding how all this works together is very interesting.

8. What is your favorite function in math and why?
The Fast Fourier Transform (FFT). You can do so much crazy stuff with it. It's just awesome!

9. Three statements about yourself - True or false? - The community has to answer
1. I never failed at any of my math exams.
2. I never wanted to study something related to math.
3. I can play the Theremin.

10. Pi or Tau?
Well, I'm used to pi and personally I don't have a problem with it. Pi ftw!

11. Do you prefer to work in degrees or Rads?
Hmm... both have advantages and disadvantages, I can't really say I prefer one over the other. What I hate is when I forget to check my calculator for the right mode and mess up all the calculations.

12. Calculatorly or manually?
I prefer numerics so yeah, my calculator! But I can also do it manually if I have to ;)

13. Joke time!
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary components.

14. Do you feel the temptation in tests to write your justifications in Na'vi?
No. First, my Na'vi skills aren't good enough and second, I don't have to write much text anyway. Actually I can't even remember having written a single line of text in any of my math exams, just lots of (ugly) formulas...

15. Do you like Physics too?
Yes, there are certain areas I really like (electrical engineering for example).

16. Real-Life Picture (Optional)
See the RLP thread ;D

17. Do you have any other hobbies?
Of course ^^
Programming, making music, watching films, playing games, sometimes reading (I have to read a lot of technical literature therefore I don't spend that much time on reading other stuff - but sometimes I do).

18. This is the story
Well, throw the rules out the window, odds are you'll go that way too.

Thanks for the nomination! :)

Yayo

QuoteLife is complex: it has both real and imaginary components.
NICE.

Congratulations. My guesses are:

Ts/Ts/Ng

Enjoy your week!

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

bommel

So my week is over...

Here are the answers to my questions:
1. False. Actually this happened several times ^^
2. True.
3. False