Started by Amaya, July 16, 2011, 08:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaya

I have an idea.  It may be a crazy idea, and if it is, please ignore it, but I think it would be wonderful to try to organize a meet-up here in Victoria, the main purpose of which would be to drive out to Avatar Grove (http://www.ancientforestalliance.org/directions-avatar-grove.php), perhaps liaising with the Ancient Forest Alliance for some kind of promotional thingy (or not - but either way it would be really cool to get pictures of some of our Na'vi cosplayers out in the real forest XD)

I realize that for many of the people on here this would mean crossing the boarder, and as I don't drive myself, someone would have to volunteer to bring their car or rent an appropriate vehicle to get us all out there.  I do know that the Ancient Forest Alliance organizes periodic "guided hikes", and perhaps we might try to take advantage of one of these, but I'm pretty sure even then they expect people to get out to the site with their own vehicles.

Also, before jumping on this with excitement, please keep in mind that this is a real wilderness hike.  Think of it like taking a walk on the real Pandora.  Basically, what I'm trying to say is if you can't walk a couple of kilometers over rough terrain, you might want to sit this one out.  That said, I also wouldn't be averse to trying to set up some other activities here in Victoria which a larger group could take part in, and then have a smaller group of "experienced hikers" head out into the forest for the day.

Anyway, let me know if I'm completely insane and barking up the wrong tree here, but it seems like something that might be really fun and very much an "appropriate" thing for our community. :) :-*

Tsmuketsamsiyu

Hey I think it's a great idea and I love to see it happen. We have enough time to arrange it! Hammock baby!

Amaya

True, there's plenty of time to work out details.  After all, I haven't even thought of a time yet, although late spring to early fall is probably best, since the place is otherwise known as "Port Rainfrew on the Wet Coast" :P

Seriously, though, I'd love to see this happen.  And yes!  Hammocks Forever!