Avatar Mini-Meet London: 4th-8th April 2013

Started by Alan, February 13, 2013, 02:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Kaltxi ma eylan,

For anyone who is also a member on the Tree of Souls Forum you may be aware of a mini-meet for Avatar fans in London in early April that is being led by Moco Loco.  It is open to any Avatar fans who would like to take part in an informal meet up and share a bit of Avatar company.  Below are details of the event:

Dates:
4th to 8th April (Arriving on the 4th and departing on the 8th April)

Base Camp:
Edgware, north London.

Home Tree:
Premiere Inn, Edgware.
Details: 435 Burnt Oak Broadway, Edgware, Middlesex HA8 5AQ
Phone: 0871 527 8652 (Overseas: +44 1582 567890)
Website: http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/E...london-edgware
Cost: Arriving 4th April and staying four nights works out at approx £35 per night, per person - based on 2 people sharing.
Find a room buddy and book now, because the price will increase as April gets closer.

Public transport to the Meet Up:
National Rail: National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables
National Express (bus): National Express Coaches // Coach, Rail & Bus Travel Throughout The UK
Underground: Tube | Transport for London

Getting Around at the Meet Up:
Oystercard:
This is a plastic 'smart' card top-up-able travel pass. It is the most cost effective way to get around in London. From the literature it is suggested that the card is topped up with between £20 and £30 for a 4 day visit. It can be topped up too if required. There is more information on this leaflet:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ith-oyster.pdf

(Some URLs for places we'll visit)
Science Museum, London
Natural History Museum
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew - Welcome To Our Website
ZSL London Zoo | Zoo in London - ZSL

Hope to see some of you there :nhi:

Eywa ngahu,

Alan

Alan

Well, I definitely intend going now, coz I booked a room at the hotel! :D

If anyone is interested in going it might be a good idea to book soon as there was a message on the hotel website saying there were not many rooms left...

Hope to see some folks there. ;) ;)

Alan

CyanRachel

Irayo, Alan, for posting all the above info!  :D

I'm attending this London mini-meet...so if there's a tsmuke attending also who's in need of a hotel roommate, please contact me.  :)
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Txur’Itan

I would need to plan a bit further in advance to get cheaper flights. But, one day, maybe.

Have a good time!  ;D
私は太った男だ。

Alan

Well, if you can't make the London Mini-meet ma tsmukan, there is the possibility of a New Jersey Mini-Meet to take in the Avatar Exhibiton at the Liberty Science Museum possibly late April to mid May, with the possibility of Avatr in 3D being shown.  But this is a work in progress at the minute.

Alternatively work is still ongoing for the planning of AvatarMeet 2013 over Washing DC way in late July.  Either way, hope you can make it to one of them.  It'll be great to meet up again.  :D

Alan

Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan

Well, I've booked the Premier Inn a few days ago, so I'm going to be there.  :)  As Alan found, they again said that they're "almost full".  Looking forward to see those again who I met in Seattle, and those who I haven't met yet.

It seems that we're up to about 7 or 8 people at the moment, with maybe a.n.other for one day over the weekend.

And let's hope that the weather behaves!  ;D

Alan

Great stuff?  See ya there then ma tsmukan.  Yep, hope the weather holds out, but you know what the great British weather is like. ;)

Alan

Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan

Quote from: Alan on February 26, 2013, 04:01:28 PM
Yep, hope the weather holds out, but you know what the great British weather is like. ;)

I'd suggest an alternative to "holds out" - gets better would be a start!  The last couple of days... grey, misty, drizzle... perfect weather for ducks. (But we're not ducks!)

Human No More

Sadly I may be unable to do Thursday for this, but as I live close enough I'd still be there in the evening if so :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Alan

Well, not long now until the start of the first of the Avatar fan meets of 2013.  I'm getting all excited to meet up with my Avatar family again.  And it's looking like the weather might be warming up too!

Hopefully we will be able to keeps folks up to date during the meet up.

Alan :)

Alan

Well the Alan has landed.  I got into St Pancras to be greeted by...snow falling out the sky!

Anyway her's a couple of piccies...if they work!

Tsyalatun turned up (with Bluray player) and we chatted for a while until Hawnuyunaviae arrived with a 24 inch monitor for us to what Avatar on one evening.  We hooked the monitor up to a laptop to make sure it worked, but there was no sound.  However, we have a cunning plan.  No - we don't all take on a roll for Avatar and do a voice over from memory for the entire film....although that would be possible! :D. No, it involves a HDMI cable and the hotel TV ;)

Anyway, after a while went out for some 'Om, yom, yom', and ended up at an Italian restaurant.  We even enjoyed a desert!  Why are deserts the smallest part of the meal?  Anyway we were the last the leave....and I'be just woken up!  Take to go to Heathrow to meet CyanRachel and start our adventure with the first of four Avatar fan meet ups for 2013.

If anyone is in the London area and want to join us just send us a PM and we can let you know we're we are.  Ok must move my txim! :D

Alan

Alan

Well it was an early start for me as I had to get down to Heathrow to meet CyanRachel.  After the customary 'oel ngati kameie', we made our way back to kelutral to drop off the baggage before meeting up with the rest of the clan.  By now it was lunch so we made a pit stop in the shops to get some 'Om, yom, yom' before getting on the underground into central London

So here we are having lunch just before we set off to meet up with Hawnuyunaviae in Kensington to visit all the museums....well as many as you can fit in an afternoon.

Our first port of call was the Science Museum.  There was an exhibit on Alan Turing, a rather clever bloke who had something to do with the invention of modern computing.  A short walk through and before we knew it we were back in 1814 and looking at the worlds first steam locomotive. A bit further along and we our two of our computer gurus were admiring the first Cray super computer dating back to...1976!  And here's a photo to prove it:

After only looking through 2 of the 5 floors we headed over to the Natural History Museum for a very quick walk round. Here's a couple of piccies.

This was the side entrance to the museum!

And here's the clan in there - CyanRachel,  Human No More, Hawnuyunaviae and Tsyalatun.  Moco Loco was nursing her foot as someone trod on it!.  If you look to the bottom right you can see my legs reflected in the display thingy!

Poor old Cyan Rachel was suffering from the jet lag so the pair of us headed back to base for some shut eye with a loose plan to join up again with the rest of the clan for some evening entertainment.

And so that is the story so far...  Tune in next time when we with be discussing how iron a Na'vi loin cloth! :D

Alan

Alan

As for today...well we were going to visit the zoo, but when we saw the price we changed our plans to visit Kew Gardens.  So after three undergrounds train rides we found ourselves at Kew.  The weather seemed quite warm for once.  Although the slight breeze was still cold.  However, when we entered the palm house then things really did warm up - to 28C to be precise!  And our glasses missed up for a few minutes too.  Here's a piccie:

After that we went through the garden to the tree top walk.  It felt like climbing up the Iknimaya (sp?) !!! So that was our little bit of Na'vi experience up a kelutral.  Here's a piccie of us up there.

In the evening, we had a clan showing of Avatar before trying out some Na'vi from the film that had been captured and translated by 'Neytiri' from LearnNavi.

As for tomorrow, well we go as the Ikran flies I guess, but we will certainly be going for a clan meal as it will be the last day.

Until then, being as it is nearly 1 in the morning we'll say txon lefpom. :)

Alan

Alan

Well this was the last day of the meet up... Very sad only....  But that didn't stop us going into full tourist mode!  We made our way to Green Park to enjoy a walk through, well, Green Park (!) to Buckingham Palace.  From there we went walked through St James' Park to enjoy the birds to much amuzement of coots chasing each other.  Eventually we arrived at Big Ben and the Houses of Paliment before walking over Westminster Bridge to view the London Eye.  Walking along we eventually found ourselves back on the Underground and popped out at the Tower of London.  We then took the opportunity to walk over Tower Bridge and past HMS Belfast before heading back to base.

After dropping our stuff off at the hotel we made our way bake to the Itallian restaurant to have our last clan meal.  Fully fed and watered it was time for some Na'vi lessons with Karyu Pawl.  Neytiri from LearNavi joined us on Teamspeak and we enjoyed a good 1 1/2 hours of Na'vi lessons.  Here's a piccie or two:

But sooner or later you have to say kìyevame.

I just have to say a massive Irayo to Hawnuyunaviae for bringing his monitor. And a bag of cables, Tsyalatun for bringing his laptop so we could enjoy a Teamspeak meet up with Neytiri, Human No More and CyanRachel for making the meet up enjoyable and of course Moco Loco for coming up with the txantsan idea for the mini-meet in the first place.  Irayo ma aysmuke ulte aysmukan.  Here's to the next one :D

Alan

Alan

Wow - Hard to think that is a week since we said Kiyevame to each other from the London Mini-meet.  I still have photos and video to sort out from it.  But here is one from the first day of the meet up with everyone together:

Don't forget there is EuroAvatar Meet and the New Jersey Mini-Meet in mid-May coming up next followed by AvatarMeet 2013

Alan

CyanRachel

Irayo, Alan, for sharing your pics with us!
I had a wonderful time at the meetup...it was a lot of fun spending time with you and our fellow clanmates.
Yep, hard to believe it's over now, but hopefully we'll be able to do it again sometime.  :D

Alan

Yeah, it was a great time ma tsmuke :)  I've been editing the video I took from the mini-meet, but my compooter has gone poo and needs to be sent away for a week or so.  :( It's only 2 month old as well! Meh  :'( 

Hopefullly it will come back before the New Jersey meet up so I can get the video completed before that mini-meet.  :D

Alan

Alan

Just when you thought this thread was going to gather dust....I finally get the video for the London Mini-Meet Up video completed!  So here it is.  Enjoy.  :D

Alan

CyanRachel

Irayo, Alan, for posting the video! Very nicely done, tsmukan!  :D

Tirea Aean

Ahhh! I was mentioned! Wow so people DO watch my YouTube channel! ;D

I'll think about making more videos.

Very nice video, ma Alan. LOLs were had. ;D

Irayo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD