Learn Na'vi iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad App - beta v0.6.1

Started by Seze, January 11, 2010, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kisora

I want to beta test! I alredy sent you a message, hope you reply soon.

Though I don't know wht I have to install he program, is it from the app store?

Seze

Quote from: Kisora on January 26, 2010, 09:45:26 AM
I want to beta test! I alredy sent you a message, hope you reply soon.

Though I don't know wht I have to install he program, is it from the app store?

The App is not in the AppStore, at least not yet (Final release will be in the AppStore, pending Approval).  The App is really easy to install, you will be in the next beta (0.1.2 which will be released today sometime), and to install, download the zip file that I post, then unzip it.  Inside of the extracted folder should be 2 files.  Drag both of those to an open iTunes window (Windows) or to the iTunes Dock icon (Mac).  After that, sync your device and it should copy the App to your device.  If you have any problems, comments, or suggestions don't hesitate to bring them up on here.  Thats the whole point of the beta testing program...

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Apxakllte

Yeah i would like to beta test this version too! i sent the Ipod code thing i think but my internet died at the same time so i dont know if sent.
I will resend!
irayo!

kxanì tsamsiyu

Yahoo its out, only just got my PC working again after i took it to pieces for upgrading then it all went wrong. Well its working again after a week!. I shall download this right now.
Irayo.

Lenewa txe'lan

Apxakllte

Quote from: kxanì tsamsiyu on January 26, 2010, 11:32:54 AM
Yahoo its out, only just got my PC working again after i took it to pieces for upgrading then it all went wrong. Well its working again after a week!. I shall download this right now.
Irayo.

Do you get a pm or something with the link if you have been selected to beta test?

Seze

Quote from: Apxakllte on January 26, 2010, 12:10:17 PM
Quote from: kxanì tsamsiyu on January 26, 2010, 11:32:54 AM
Irayo.

Do you get a pm or something with the link if you have been selected to beta test?

No, the links are posted in this thread.  If you aren't on the list already, the older betas won't work for you.  The beta is encrypted in a way that it will only work with the UDIDs that I have registered with Apple.  I generally don't go back and rebuild beta releases with new UDIDs.  So, once I release a beta build, if you ask to get into the beta testers group, you will have to wait for the next beta to be released.

Seze

Quote from: Gybtensar on January 26, 2010, 11:59:49 AM
Do you know when the final version is out?

Not a clue.  There is much work to be done still, and I am only working on this during my free time...

Eanikran

Forgive me if this is a skxawng question but after we give you our UDIDs will all the beta versions after that work for us?

Seze

Quote from: Na'rìnga Taronyu on January 26, 2010, 01:42:59 PM
Forgive me if this is a skxawng question but after we give you our UDIDs will all the beta versions after that work for us?

Yes, they should.  If you are having any problems, just let me know. 

Eanikran

Alright, irayo. Oe was just wonderig for when you put the next one up :)

Seze

Release Notes for Version 0.1.2 (Build 27)
-New people added to the beta testers list
-FIXED: Search currently doesn't work properly.  I am in the process of rewriting the table controller, which will fix this.  Bug was introduced when I added sections to the table.
-FIXED: There is a typo on the section title "K", should be "S".  This will be fixed in the above mentioned rewrite of the table controller.
-Added Analytic Tracking code to track App usage (Similar to Google Analytics)
-Added dictionary swapping abilities, can now switch from English to Na'vi and back again

Learn Navi v0.1.2

Installation Instructions
Decompress the .zip and then drag the two files in the folder to iTunes to install, and then sync.  Let me know if you have any problems with the new packaging format.

Something to think about while testing...
I need some ideas on how to best layout the actual view for an entry in the dictionary.  The current view just has a very basic definition in it.  I am not sure exactly what to do with this view, other than it needs to have a definition and it needs to be able to play a short audio clip of the word.  I thought about maybe adding a picture of the word, or some example sentences using the word, etc.  But I just can't seem to visualize how this should all be displayed on the screen.  Any ideas, mockups, napkin drawings, etc. would be very much appreciated.

~Seze

Apxakllte

Irayo ma tsmukan.
I will think about the layout etc when over the next day.
again
irayo.

Apxakllte

Right, i think the dictionary has a perfect view at the moment, although very limited words.
Maybe have when you click on it have both the navi and the english and a sentence translated into each way?
Is there meant to be only 5 words by the way? (just checking)
you could do the audio like a picture of a speaker you click, like on other language tools, which then makes audio come out, as not to splash audio onto the person unwantedly.
also the sections at the bottom of the dictionary dont seem to be working, i dont know if they have been programmed in or whatever yet. :)
hope some of this was helpful
irayo ma tsmukan

Tsamsteu

..i really like the na'vi --> english and english --> na'vi swap ability....hm...dictionary layouts..I personally like in depth defintions, for example:

Ta*ron (ta-rown) v. to hunt, Ta*ron*yu n

Oel taron palululukanit.

Oe taronyu lu.

Includes syllables (*), pronunciation (whether you wanted to do an english pronunciation or something like Taronyu did in his dictionary), and alternate forms of the root possibly...along with examples =]
something of that nature.
"You have a strong heart; no fear. But stupid, ignorant like a child." - Neytiri

Neytiri, oeyä tsmuke, oel ngati kameie....

Seze

Quote from: Apxakllte on January 26, 2010, 04:43:00 PM
Right, i think the dictionary has a perfect view at the moment, although very limited words.
Maybe have when you click on it have both the navi and the english and a sentence translated into each way?
Is there meant to be only 5 words by the way? (just checking)
you could do the audio like a picture of a speaker you click, like on other language tools, which then makes audio come out, as not to splash audio onto the person unwantedly.
also the sections at the bottom of the dictionary dont seem to be working, i dont know if they have been programmed in or whatever yet. :)
hope some of this was helpful
irayo ma tsmukan

I've really only been working on the UI (User Interface).  The 5 words are just static entries that I hard coded in, mainly to act as dummy data (think lorem ipsum).  The toolbar on the bottom of the dictionary is also non-functional at the moment.  I just haven't gotten around to making it work yet.  As for the audio, if you notice there is a button on the Entry details view that says "Play", while it doesn't really do anything yet, it does give you an idea where I am going with the audio.  The App will not splash audio at you automatically, programs and websites that do that are a huge annoyance with me.  If you hit the play button, it will play the audio (does nothing at the moment).

Irayo for your input...

~Seze

Eanikran

It's coming along very well. Oe like apxllte's idea about the definitions, where you could see an example sentence.
I'm assuming that the play button that shows up when you look at a word would be like an audio example?

I also really like the Na'vi-english / English-Na'vi switch too.

Edit- my iPod is being a skxawng, sometimes the 'someone posted while you were typing' alert doesn't show up  :P

Seze

Quote from: Na'rìnga Taronyu on January 26, 2010, 04:56:11 PM
It's coming along very well. Oe like apxllte's idea about the definitions, where you could see an example sentence.
I'm assuming that the play button that shows up when you look at a word would be like an audio example?

I also really like the Na'vi-english / English-Na'vi switch too.

Yeah, the Play button was for an audio example. Glad you like the dictionary switching.  That took me most of yesterday to put together, but I think it was worth it...

Satthar

Things to throw at people with more... artistic layout-y inclinations, ideas that popped to my mind in the last few minutes, as food for thought (some being repeated from what others have already said):

- definietely the type of the word (noun/pronoun/verb/adjective/so on)
- example sentences
- audio clip
- picture, if possible
- inflection examples (like which allomorph set to use [in case someone doesn't differentiate vowels and consonants =p], infix placement)
- stress
- IPA transcription (optionally some English-sound-alike)

That's it so far... the more in-depth details could be something like with a much smaller font, after a break-line perhaps, so that if you only need to check the basic definition you notice that straight away and your attention doesn't get drawn too much to all the crap below =p

Also, I think the entry should be the same no matter from which language display you access it.

And yes, I know I'm a slacker. That's basically all me, especially if I'm in a shortage of spare time. Not making any declarations this time, just to be on the safe side =p

edit: Oh, some more stuff =p Of course, I really have to say the swapping is awesome, also the transition animations are a cool touch =p And even tho I like the little twist that is the orange toolbar... for consistency, I really think it would be better off in blue.

Eanikran

Quote from: Satthar on January 26, 2010, 04:59:21 PM
Things to throw at people with more... artistic layout-y inclinations, ideas that popped to my mind in the last few minutes, as food for thought (some being repeated from what others have already said):

- definietely the type of the word (noun/pronoun/verb/adjective/so on)
- example sentences
- audio clip
- picture, if possible
- inflection examples (like which allomorph set to use [in case someone doesn't differentiate vowels and consonants =p], infix placement)
- stress
- IPA transcription (optionally some English-sound-alike)

That's it so far... the more in-depth details could be something like with a much smaller font, after a break-line perhaps, so that if you only need to check the basic definition you notice that straight away and your attention doesn't get drawn too much to all the crap below =p

Also, I think the entry should be the same no matter from which language display you access it.

And yes, I know I'm a slacker. That's basically all me, especially if I'm in a shortage of spare time. Not making any declarations this time, just to be on the safe side =p

edit: Oh, some more stuff =p Of course, I really have to say the swapping is awesome, also the transition animations are a cool touch =p And even tho I like the little twist that is the orange toolbar... for consistency, I really think it would be better off in blue.
those are some really god ideas. Inflection examples would help a lot.
Oe actually like the orange on the toolbar though, or it could be striped Na'vi blue ;D