Learn Na'vi iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad App - beta v0.6.1

Started by Seze, January 11, 2010, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomb

Awesome that you are making a iPhone app. Then I don't have to keep the na'vi papers in my bag when traveling.
mrrvolmun, 'eyng ne tìrey tanhì taw sì fra'u.

Eyaye Tskxe

Seze, I sent you a PM, but I wanted to make sure it got through.

Would love to help with this project. :)

Seze

Quote from: Eyaye Tskxe on January 14, 2010, 03:44:06 PM
Seze, I sent you a PM, but I wanted to make sure it got through.

Would love to help with this project. :)

It did.  You've been added to the list.  I have 18 people registered so far.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Zenite

Another idea to the app might be the use of flashcards?

Like this app: http://iflipr.com/

I mean, it doesn't have to be as advanced as the one in iFlipr - But if a .mobile webpage was made with a series of links such as "Alphabet" "Pronunciation" "Common Phrases" etc. it could link to some PHP webased flashcards? Or something like that, in that catagory : )?

Just throwing it out there : )

vraedwulf

Just wanted to confirm, I sent you my UDID, model and operating system.

thanks!

Seze

Quote from: Darrigan on January 15, 2010, 03:15:42 AM
I'm STILL waiting for my job to send me my W-2 to buy an iPhone... I wish those skxawngs weren't so disorganized an inefficient.

I hope all the available slots are not filled by the time I get the thing.  :-\

Kaltxì ma Darrigan, oel ngati kameie. 

I'll keep a spot open for you...

Seze

Quote from: Zenite on January 15, 2010, 04:01:10 AM

I mean, it doesn't have to be as advanced as the one in iFlipr - But if a .mobile webpage was made with a series of links such as "Alphabet" "Pronunciation" "Common Phrases" etc. it could link to some PHP webased flashcards? Or something like that, in that catagory : )?

Irayo ma Zenite, I was planning on doing something like it.  A twist to this idea is including audio.  I can think of a few different ideas of integrating audio, such as having the App say a word (without showing you the word at first, to help with speech recognition), and another idea is working on your pronunciation skills, by letting you record yourself saving the word and then playing it back to you.  Another thing worth mentioning is that I am envisioning this app as more like a suite of apps, so its not going to be just a flashcard type app, or just a dictionary.  Instead it will have different sections to it.

Zenite

Quote from: Seze on January 15, 2010, 01:44:38 PM
Quote from: Zenite on January 15, 2010, 04:01:10 AM

Irayo ma Zenite, I was planning on doing something like it.  A twist to this idea is including audio.  I can think of a few different ideas of integrating audio, such as having the App say a word (without showing you the word at first, to help with speech recognition), and another idea is working on your pronunciation skills, by letting you record yourself saving the word and then playing it back to you.  Another thing worth mentioning is that I am envisioning this app as more like a suite of apps, so its not going to be just a flashcard type app, or just a dictionary.  Instead it will have different sections to it.

Kaltxi ma Seze,

Yeah that sounds really awesome! I mean if there is anything I can help with (I have some Java coding knowledge --- And xCode aren't that foreign from Java) even if it is hardcoding, or gather sound clips etc. please let me know :) I think this is really an awesome initiative :)

Take Care mate :)

Swok Txon

wow that really makes me want an Iphone or Itouch

!!!!!

Aperture

Seze how's it going?
When will we be able to test something? I'm really looking forward to it!

rakel_wolf

Quote from: Seze on January 11, 2010, 10:06:06 AM
I've seen a few threads pop up lately requesting an iPhone app, so I thought I would post some screenshots of what I have done so far.  I just started this last night so, I've only got the first screen done so far.  I will be looking for app testers at some point as well, so if you are an iPhone user, I may need your help in testing this app on down the road.

I will also need some help from the graphic designers on here as well.  Since I would like to get this app into the App Store (as a free app), we need to watch out for copyright stuff, and the current background image I have may not be permissible.  If anyone would like to make a new background for the app, the image needed is 320 x 480.  There will be lots of other images I will need as well on down the line.

If anyone wants to help with testing this app, I will need a few things from you.  I have to register the devices I would like to use for testing with Apple in order for the app to work outside of the App Store.  That being said, Apple sets a limit on how many devices I can register per year.  For now I am going to only allow 30 devices for testing.  I may allow more at a later time.  If you would like to help with testing I need you to PM your device's UDID to me.  If you don't know how to find your UDID, this site can tell you how.  Also, in your PM, please tell me what model device you are using.  For example, I use an iPhone 3Gs.  PMs without a device model will not be included in the beta testing.  

Below is the current Welcome Screen to the app,  

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

id be happy to beta test it on my touch email me on [email protected] if you want me to test

Txonyä'ite

This is a great idea and i would love to help with testing! I will pm you my info as soon as i get home. :)

Seze

Quote from: Cybi on January 19, 2010, 04:28:41 AM
Seze how's it going?
When will we be able to test something? I'm really looking forward to it!

It's been going pretty slow so far.  Its been a few months since I did any iPhone development, so the past week has been more about getting back up to speed on how to do things.  I am currently working on the dictionary part of the app.  I am hoping to have something basic for everyone to test sometime this week.

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Quote from: Seze on January 19, 2010, 03:29:28 PM
It's been going pretty slow so far.  Its been a few months since I did any iPhone development, so the past week has been more about getting back up to speed on how to do things.  I am currently working on the dictionary part of the app.  I am hoping to have something basic for everyone to test sometime this week.

Yeah! Can't wait :D
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

judytuna

Thank you for the update! I can't wait either. Is there anything you want help with? Direct thy minions! hehe

Eanikran

Eywa knows how insanely helpful this will be. and Id be glad to help with testing  :)

Txonyä'ite

just confirming that I did send my UDID

NaaVi

I'll buy it, i'll beg for it, i'll do anything for it! The best idea since electricity!! Seriously! I'll keep an eye out for the progress of this inovating project. Please inform when its released, for sale, etc. =D
Eywa Ngahu.

Seze

Seze

Quote from: judytuna on January 19, 2010, 05:59:30 PM
Thank you for the update! I can't wait either. Is there anything you want help with? Direct thy minions! hehe

The biggest thing I need right now are ideas.  I am still in the planning/laying out stage of development, so any ideas or mockups on what you would like to see in the App would be a really big help. 

I've been focusing on the Dictionary part of the App the last few days and here is a screenshot of what it looks like so far.  I am planning on using an interface that would look and feel a lot like the Apple Address Book App.  I've also included a screenshot of the Address Book App for reference.  I am planning on pulling over the section headers (A, B, C, etc).  The black toolbar at the bottom of my mockup is something I need ideas on as well.  I like having it down there, but I am not really sure on what to have it do, maybe list categories to filter by? (Need help on this one).  In the table view, the entry names would have the word in Na'vi, and very short definition, but when you would select an entry it would then take you to the next screen would have all the details about the entry and would also have a play button that would play a recording of the entry. 

Another feature I would like to work into this is a way to record yourself saying the word so you could hear how you sound.  I am not sure if the dictionary entry detail view is the best spot for this though, something to ponder.