Learn Na'vi iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad App - beta v0.6.1

Started by Seze, January 11, 2010, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seze

Quote from: judytuna on May 12, 2010, 05:36:48 PM
--In the English>Na'vi view: when the English definition is capitalized, it appears earlier in the alphabetical list. Examples include "I - oe", "Frommer's favorite word" (for which we now have a definition!), "TRUE" and "FALSE"  (which appear to get capitalized because the spreadsheet wishes them to be the "values" true and false, not the "text" true and false)-- the capitalized stuff doesn't appear alphabetically but instead at the top of that letter's category.

--When I use it, I find myself exiting the program often to consult my PDF copy of the dictionary for the verbal infixes. I'm working on adding to your parser (ONLY on my own computer--I won't upload any changes at all). In my tests, when it steps through the navi dictionary csv, it'll also read the stuff with the infixes/noun addon/other stuff towards the bottom of the file (skipping "illegal words" and such) and spit it out into a separate file. But it would have to go somewhere. All I can think of is:

• a separate section of the app to display these. buttons on the bottom (similar to the part of speech buttons for the dictionary) for looking at all, only verbal infixes, only noun inflections, or only other. to get to this section, make a "box button" for "Inflections" in "hometree" that appears between the "dictionary" and "resources" buttons. however, i don't know if you would prefer "hometree" to not get cluttered. Or later, we can give the "dictionary and inflections and grammar guide" its own submenu or something.
  • OR: mix it in with the dictionary (dubious) but have a separate tab on the bottom to view them (also dubious, since it's quite full down there--I love the part of speech bar btw and use it often. But this way, we wouldn't have to "exit" out to hometree

This is kind of as if it were scribbled on a napkin D:

Anyway, I wish you continued good luck in your real life endeavors and thank you so much for this beautiful app (and thank you again for allowing it to be open-source). If you have any specific things you want help working on, let us know. Like, what in particular must happen before search can work? What must happen before in-app downloading of the .csv dictionary can work?

Do I hear PICTURES AND AUDIO! O beauty. Another addition to the dictionary that I would love to see would be example sentences for every word, but that would require a monumental effort (as would pictures and audio). I'll poke around on the other dictionary projects and see if people are already working on this.

Just a heads up, I don't parse the CSV file at runtime anymore.  I now use an sqlite database.  Whenever I update the database file, I also have to update the version table.  When the App launches, it checks the version of the database located in User space on the device to the version of the database in the App space on the device.  If the App space is newer, it will overwrite the version in user space.  Basically, App space is read only, so I have to copy the database to user space (read/write) if I ever what to make changes to the database.  

Now, doing in App updates, I need to check the database version with the database stored on my server somewhere.  If the server version is higher, download the new database file to User space.  I made that sound really easy, which I hope it will be, but I'm expecting there to be a bit of a learning curve on implementing this.

As for the dictionary search feature, I need to hook it up to the database, so whenever the search field is updated, I have to update my queries to fetch the relevant data from the database.  The old way was to filter the dictionary array with the search term, and that method gave me some cool stuff for free, like treating "i" and "ì" equally in the search.  Switching this over to the database backend means I will loose that option, and I will have to either implement it myself or lose this feature.

Also, what CSV file were you using?  The ones I've been using only have the dictionary terms in them, no illegal words or other stuff.  If you were using the CSV files from the project, I will warn you that they are potentially way out of date.  

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

kxanì tsamsiyu

yes i may have a jailbroken device, but i was still on the beta testers and it was working fine all up to when i tried to update it then i went wrong.

Seze

Quote from: kxanì tsamsiyu on May 13, 2010, 11:21:45 AM
yes i may have a jailbroken device, but i was still on the beta testers and it was working fine all up to when i tried to update it then i went wrong.

Try this.  Go into Settings -> General -> Profiles and then delete all the Learn Navi certificates/profiles from your device.  After thats done, install the new profile/certificate from the zip you downloaded.  Sync the device to install the new profile.  Then install the actual App (.ipa file).  Let me know if this works or not. 

kxanì tsamsiyu

nope not working, cant even get the certificate/profile back on to my phone.

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

I say try restore you iPhone... it look like something is messed up in the OS.
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

kxanì tsamsiyu

Yep i just have but still no luck... Itunes really gets on my nerves. why cant it just be simple. ???

Itunes also deleted all my songs off my Iphone and my pc at the same time and says i have to pay for them again to be able to use them, even though i have already payed the songs. >:(

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Quote from: kxanì tsamsiyu on May 13, 2010, 03:04:15 PM
Yep i just have but still no luck... Itunes really gets on my nerves. why cant it just be simple. ???

Itunes also deleted all my songs off my Iphone and my pc at the same time and says i have to pay for them again to be able to use them, even though i have already payed the songs. >:(

That doesn't make sense.... oh no wait... it does... I just hope it's not what I think... Apple did disabled a couple of iTunes Store account for people who had jailbroken devices. Try to see if you can log-on to it and buy a random free app on the app store.
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

kxanì tsamsiyu

ok i shall try now, but i dont think its banned. its just wierd that it wont work anymore.

Tirea Aean

<rant>I always thought that jailbreaking is very stupid and just causes a bunch of sh.t.
Ok, there WAS once a point to it on iTouch BEFORE the app store came out...cuz you couldnt get apps...but NOW there is an app store. and really, are a few 1 dollar up to 5 dollar apps really worth all the ridiculousness? tons of them are free. Im always hearing about difficulties. XD</rant>

aaanyway, I really do hope you get that crazy issue resolved. ;D I have never heard of that one before.

Seze

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 13, 2010, 09:00:47 PM
<rant>I always thought that jailbreaking is very stupid and just causes a bunch of sh.t.
Ok, there WAS once a point to it on iTouch BEFORE the app store came out...cuz you couldnt get apps...but NOW there is an app store. and really, are a few 1 dollar up to 5 dollar apps really worth all the ridiculousness? tons of them are free. Im always hearing about difficulties. XD</rant>

aaanyway, I really do hope you get that crazy issue resolved. ;D I have never heard of that one before.

I only tried to jailbreak once, and that was so that I could tether my iPhone to my computer for internet service.  I wasn't able to get it to work on the first attempt and decided against pursuing it further for the same reasons as you stated, just not worth the hassle or the risks...

Seze

I've started in on version 0.5.0 of the App.  I've figured out how to download updates to the dictionary.  My current build downloads the copy of the dictionary hosted on my server without issue.  Now I just need to add in all the user interface bits so that the user can control when the download happens.  I should have v0.5.0 out later tonight or tomorrow sometime.

I am going to hold off on updating the dictionary content in the App (currently 9.75) until after I have v0.5.0 out the door.  That way everyone can test the in-app dictionary update to see if it works properly...

Seze

Version 0.5.0 has been released

Release Notes for Version 0.5.0 (Build 86)
-Added in-app dictionary update

This App only works on authorized devices, download link below for those authorized to run the App.

Installation Instructions
Decompress the .zip and then drag the two files in the folder to iTunes to install, and then sync.  Let me know if you have any problems with the new packaging format.

Comments
This release contains a huge functionality update.  The dictionary database is now able to updated from within the App.  I will be posting updates to the dictionary via Push Notifications, and the App will also check on startup for any updates.

If you experience any crashes, or see anything odd, please report it on here...

kxanì tsamsiyu

Ok, might be getting somewhere with this. I put the mobile provision thing on and it show up as 3S1 Mobile? instead of learn navi. Anyone know what to do from here? it still says that the "Signer is Invalid"

Seze

Quote from: kxanì tsamsiyu on May 16, 2010, 11:05:05 AM
Ok, might be getting somewhere with this. I put the mobile provision thing on and it show up as 3S1 Mobile? instead of learn navi. Anyone know what to do from here? it still says that the "Signer is Invalid"

This would be one of those times where you can call me a skxawng...

Let me find the correct provisioning file...

Seze

kxanì tsamsiyu

The link does not work for me. it says the XML page cannot be displayed due to an invalid character in the text content.

Seze

You should try downloading the link, right click and "save target as" is generally how you do it on windows...

Seze

I spent all day making an automation system that takes the raw CSV files that Tuiq puts out and converts them into a SQLite database that the iPhone App can use.  Now I can running nightly updates to the dictionary and the App will check every time you open it for the updates.  Due to the way my scripts work, I ran into some strange issues with character encodings.  Things are working now, but the way the App sorts things in the dictionary is a little off for the ì and ä characters.  I will try to get the sorting worked out tomorrow sometime...

Kyle Kepone

OK, so I'm a skxawng when it comes to apps. How do I fix the signer problem?
Oe lu 'eylan lì'fyayä leNa'vi

My Blog, including Na'vi lessons: http://dissentculture.wordpress.com

Tirea Aean

this thread is teeming with the answer to that problem...pages like 2-30 or something. this is a vERY common problem. the answer is that you need to be on the beta tester list to even use the app. once you are on that list, the next beta version will have you listed to be able to use it. and then you drag the two files from the zip to itunes and then sync your device.