Android - 0.8.0

Started by omängum fra'uti, September 13, 2010, 12:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Tsufätu Ayioangä

ZOHMYGAWD!

I am probably super behind on this but yea...GO IT ON MY DROOOOOOOID!

/excited

Palulukan Maktoyu

Irayu! glad to see this moving again somewhat. had thought it died to the likes of iOS only. i've installed it on my Sensation XE ( android 4 ) it did say there was a new wordlist and downloaded it, however no entries is the message when you goto dictionary.
not sure why as of yet

anyway feel free to msg me or post here i'll try and check back more often hehe

Eywa Ngahu..
Fkol syaw oeru Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean

Twitter: https://twitter.com/navi_wotd

Palulukan Maktoyu

Ok interesting bit, i tested it on my samsung Galaxy Note. same issue but 1 anomaly. the download size appeared to be almost 400k larger. ( 712k vs 315k or so) which i find strange. anyway Note is running Android 2.3 currently on it's stock rom ( htc was android 4.0 stock rom )

Palulukan Maktoyu

Ok off topic but maybe relevant.
Just went to the app on my iPhone 4, it said there was an update, did it,
boom NO words! had words before doing the update
possible server issue?

Seze

The system that the main LN.org dictionary is maintained in was just migrated to another server recently, which this app uses to get its content.  I just checked the server, and that migration did indeed screw up the automated database update system.  Unfortunately I don't have time to fix it right now, but will look into this later today.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Tirea Aean

I am running LN 0.7.1 (162-361) on both my Sony X10 and Samsung Tab10.1 app works, but no prompt for updates.

I figured that the migration would have done this...

Seze

Yeah, I reset the version file on my server so that the app won't try to download anything until we get this fixed.

Tsmuktengan

No issue on my side. Just wishing there would be a tablet version.  :)

Seze

Lets continue the discussion on the dictionary content issues here.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on April 11, 2012, 07:46:44 AM

Honeycomb or ics? I have the sdk for honeycomb. When I get time this summer Ill check out how to convert the ui for tab users like us.

Palulukan Maktoyu

interesting enough i found that an old version still exists in the Google Play store if you do the right search extenally
that version was awesome originally as it did 2 things, 1 it gave all of the great things that it does now. AND
2. it downloaded mp3 files of someone pronouncing the words.
I found that invaluable. sadly i came in late and it died and stopped working not long after which kind of put me off a bit about learning.
i've been since stuggling to find anything that i could follow with any clarity.
closest thus far was a pc app but even that wasn't the same as being able to look up a word, and hear someone pronouce it correctly.
:( i'm hoping someday that feature will return

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 11, 2012, 09:02:56 AM
Quote from: Tsmuktengan on April 11, 2012, 07:46:44 AM

Honeycomb or ics? I have the sdk for honeycomb. When I get time this summer Ill check out how to convert the ui for tab users like us.

I highly suggest you stick with the ICS SDK, as ICS takes charge of all kinds of resolutions and adapts more easily to the two formats of mobile devices (smartphone and tablets). Honeycomb is obsolete.

...and I place a +1 for the suggestion in the previous post.  ;)

Puvomun

Nang. Just installed 0.7.1. on my Galaxy Nexus (ICS 4.0.2) and it runs like a champ. :)
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Puvomun on April 15, 2012, 10:50:27 AM
Nang. Just installed 0.7.1. on my Galaxy Nexus (ICS 4.0.2) and it runs like a champ. :)

Woot!

Seze

Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 15, 2012, 11:24:12 AM
Quote from: Puvomun on April 15, 2012, 10:50:27 AM

Woot!

Thats the same phone I'm using now.  Finally got an Android phone...

Palulukan Maktoyu

For notes and those that are the dev's of this.
Device's i can test on currently are:

Samsung Galaxy Note ( GT-I9220/N7000) Android 2.3.6
HTC Sensation XE ( Z710 with Beats Audio) Android 4.0.3
Lg Optimus 3d ( p920 ) Android 2.3.5
iPhone 4 ( iOS 5.1 )

Tirea Aean

Cool. Does the app function properly on all those devices?

Palulukan Maktoyu

yup so far, since seze fixed the database all has been well.

akiwiguy

Downloading the app on my Chinese-brand Ice Cream Sandwich tablet now. As far as I know the app doesn't have a very tablet-friendly interface and forces into portrait (on my phone at least, app's still downloading on tablet) which is horribly annoying. (edit: forces into portrait on main menu, uses rotation settings in dictionary view) I'm gonna make some little changes to the dictionary view making it a little more tablet-friendly (at the moment, it wastes valuable screen space. Persistant search bar at top, make "English->Na'vi" button smaller, instead of showing definition in popup show in a separate pane on right, making list take up half the screen (in landscape at least). Also, make it look prettier!  A higher-res background for the main screen as well as a landscape-happy version of main screen would not only improve usability but make it look so much better!)

I also might set up an automatic build system for the Android versio, pulling the latest changes from GitHub. If I can figure out how to do cross-compiling for iOS from Linux then that version can go on the buildbot too. Ideas?